Strange ICE Behavior - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Strange ICE Behavior

I know that colder climates aren't ideal for a hybrid, but we've had ours for about 2 months now and I've got a decent feel for the Pachy, and what it should feel like. I've heard that the ICE will run more frequently in colder weather, but I wouldn't expect it to start and stop 3 times in less than 6 seconds. I like to drive while having the Hybrid Information screen visible and I literally both listened and watched it start / stop 3 times in 6 seconds while sitting at a stoplight with about 40% battery left in 30-35 degree weather. I didn't post anything the first time that I noticed it, but now I've seen it do this 3 different times. It seems to happen after it's been warmed up for 15-20 minutes or so and the battery has been used down to 40% from a full charge. I would think that starting the ICE that many times in succession, that quickly would not be healthy for the Pachy.

Has anybody else experienced this?
Should I be concerned?
Should I take it to the dealer to look at even though no check engine lights or messages happened?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
Stach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 AM

Starting 3 times in 6 seconds is definitely not normal. See if it’s reproducible. If not you’ll have a hard time convincing your dealership especially if they can’t find a code. I would still raise a concern with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM

We've noticed similar behavior on 2 occasions now. Not quite so quick, but quick. Pull to a light and ICE will stop. 30 seconds later it will start for a couple seconds then stop again. Process repeats a couple of times.

I have noticed 2 things:

- both times it did this, the van was in fuel and oil refresh mode.
- both times it did this at a light, if the ICE was stopped and I took any pressure off the brake pedal (or let off to creep) it would instigate the rougher-than-normal start up - and shut back down momentarily after stopping again.

I haven't had this issue when not in oil and fuel refresh mode.

It's like the drive train loses all refinement in refresh mode.

In the mean time, if we're in refresh mode I've been making sure to stay put at a red light and not creep and it's helped reduce the ICE stop/starts (but not eliminate it). I'm guessing climate control has a bearing on the stop / starts too as it does in normal use but can't say for certain.

Note: I have an early build 2018 and haven't been back to the dealer since we bought it. I have not had the PCM recall done yet. I'm somewhat hopeful the update will help. Going to have it done at it's first service in the next month or so.
snorth likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:35 AM

I've seen this problem too, this only happens when:
- Its cold outside, say below -5C
- The van has been running for about 15-20 minutes
- In Park and the ignition turned on
After a while the ICE quickly cycles ON/OFF for short periods (2-3 seconds).
Restarting the van makes it stop, I'm not sure if it stops on its own eventually, I think driving it might.

This has happened multiple times already, but I have not been to the dealer for it as I don't have that much time to spend.
I have a 2018 Touring Plus, all recalls have been applied.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:40 AM

Garage
I've also had this happen at various times, mostly in cold weather and with a any state of charge level on the drive battery (85%, even 0% a few times when I've noticed it) and it happens even if the coolant temp is plenty high enough for cabin heat (170F or so). Our van is not in maintenance mode or anything, it gets enough ICE use to avoid those modes altogether. I consider it 'normal' and ignore it.
1tg1 likes this.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

If others are experiencing minor variations on the same theme as me, then I will consider it a "normal" software bug that should get fixed. I can only imagine that it's not healthy for the starter, ICE, and other parts to cycle on/off multiple times over the span of a few seconds. I've also been driving down the road on battery only (again in colder weather) and the ICE will kick on once for only 2-3 seconds. I find it hard to believe that it is doing anything useful for those couple of seconds. It's definitely not related to refresh mode as we commute and drive on ICE regularly, and I don't see any notification on the display about a Refresh.

So what's the best way to make Chrysler aware of this, so that it could eventually get fixed???
-Stach

Last edited by Stach; 12-14-2018 at 11:40 AM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stach View Post
If others are experiencing minor variations on the same theme as me, then I will consider it a "normal" software bug that should get fixed. I can only imagine that it's not healthy for he starter, ICE, and other parts to cycle on/off multiple times over the span of a few seconds. I've also been driving down the road on battery only (again in colder weather) and the ICE will kick on once for only 2-3 seconds. I find it hard to believe that it is doing anything useful for those couple of seconds. It's definitely not related to refresh mode as we commute and drive on ICE regularly.

So what's the best way to make Chrysler aware of this, so that it could eventually get fixed???
-Stach
Maybe make @ChryslerCares aware of this issue?
I've experienced exactly the same thing and it doesn't seem like a 'normal' behavior to me as well.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:35 PM

Sorry, my experience is in the cold as well. Forgot to mention that.

This makes me wonder more if it's the climate control (heat demand) in cold weather fighting the engine stop / start fighting fuel / oil refresh mode.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Basically a similar experience last night. 36F degrees out, battery at 31%, sitting at a stoplight and the ICE turns on for 5 seconds, then stops, waits for 15 seconds, and then the cycle repeats itself until the light turns green and I start moving. I can't imagine that anything useful is being done by the ICE or to the ICE by running it for a whopping 5 seconds every 15 seconds while stationary in a not so unreasonably cold environment.

I did send a PM to @ChryslerCares , but so far have heard no response. If this condition is concerning to you, I recommend that you do the same to raise their level of awareness.

-Stach

Last edited by Stach; 12-15-2018 at 09:02 AM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:09 AM

Just made a thread about this with video. Looks like the same issue. I don't recall this happening last year so looks to be an issue with an update(?).

https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...ccess-etc.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page