Public Charger Wouldn't Release (Cut it off..) - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By mcorner

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

Public Charger Wouldn't Release (Cut it off..)

I charged our 2017 at a parking garage today. When I came back I could not get the charger to release from the vehicle no matter what. Total pain, but in the end the city (who owns the charger) cut the charger off with bolt cutters. I still have the end of the charge cable stuck in there, but at least it will drive. There was a latch on the public charge handle, but that was cut off and it still won't come out. It was an AeroVironment charger.

The three closest dealers will not service it (bah), so I have an appointment for next week at a dealer further away.

Has this ever happened to anyone? Some EVs lock the charger from the car side (Leaf and Tesla), but I have never had our PacHy do this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/f8288dnZaMvVqa336

Last edited by mcorner; 12-13-2018 at 03:03 PM. Reason: add photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:08 PM

That could have been exciting if they deployed the bolt cutters while charging...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Fortunately everyone involved was a bit smarter than that. There was an easily accessible breaker.

The city would really like to know if this is the fault of the charger or the car since this happened once before....to a PacHy....and they did the same thing: cut if off with bolt cutters. I don't think they are too happy about this though.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 03:56 PM

Wow, that sucks. It's probably too tight of a clearance. Did you remember if it was tight to plug it in? They will probably have to use force to pull it out. There's not a locking mechanism, the only mechanism is the latch, but that's broken off already.

I thought this couldn't happen to plug ins but I was wrong:

https://www.google.com/search?q=gas+...WHzceUXz0bYRQM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:50 PM
bbq

Plastic expands with heat and contracts with cold. Was your vehicle in a warm place like a garage before, and then cooled down while plugged in? I wonder if blowing a hair dryer on the area would loosen it up enough to unplug it.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Jazz Blue, Mocha
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

It wasn't in a warm place at my house or when I plugged it in. I can wiggle the part that is still stuck in the charge port, but it won't come out. I feel like there must be something broken off in there.

Here is a better photo of what it looks like now:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/urbQUeTSE7UE9Eb3A
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Update:

The reason the charger wouldn’t come out is that they were fused/melted together. There is a strong odor of electrical “fire”. What they don't know is what caused that and where the fault lies.

They got them apart and they are going to replace my charge port under warranty.
Bond007 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:38 PM

Oh wow that is weird....
I guess the lesson here is that from now on, I will always check the plug and the port to make sure there is no foreign object on either side of the contact points. Assuming that the onboard charger and the charging station are both working correctly, foreign object that got stuck between the contacts is the only reason I can think of that would cause a fuse like this.
Please do let us know if your dealer find a root cause of this. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorner View Post
Update:

The reason the charger wouldn’t come out is that they were fused/melted together. There is a strong odor of electrical “fire”. What they don't know is what caused that and where the fault lies.

They got them apart and they are going to replace my charge port under warranty.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Molten Silver
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:56 PM

This fault is most likely the charger (EVSE), and not your car.... glad to hear your dealer replaced it under warranty.

Likely a damaged, defective, or poor quality plug.

Sounds like this is not a new issue:
https://www.plugincars.com/honda-fit...er-126246.html
Article refers to the blink charges, but sounds like it's not limited to just their chargers.

I have a chargepoint at home, and have successfully used public chargepoint chargers without issue.

Funny... I tried charging up at a blink charger the other day but I couldn't. My PacHy flashed a charge fault when I plugged in the Blink charger.. Made be wonder if there was something wrong with the plug. After reading this thread, I'm sure there was something wrong with the plug.

Only plug-in to chargers you have a trusting relationship with

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Tri–Pane Panoramic Sunroof
18–Inch x 7.5–Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
Build date 10/25/2018
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorner View Post
I charged our 2017 at a parking garage today. When I came back I could not get the charger to release from the vehicle no matter what. Total pain, but in the end the city (who owns the charger) cut the charger off with bolt cutters. I still have the end of the charge cable stuck in there, but at least it will drive. There was a latch on the public charge handle, but that was cut off and it still won't come out. It was an AeroVironment charger.
AeroVironment makes the EVSEs that Mopar/Chrysler sells under their own name. So I don't think anybody can claim this is an incompatibility problem.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page