I am scared to buy a Pacifica - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 62Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

I am scared to buy a Pacifica

Hi all. I was ready to pull a trigger on a 2018 Hybrid Limited on Monday, but after reading the posts, I am terrified. Between the screen blacking out, the car stalling on the highway, red turtles and check engine lights, I honestly am rethinking my choices. We have a 2007 Prius that never had any major issues and to this day remains extremely reliable, so I’d hate to replace is with such unreliable vehicle. I rented a regular Pacifica twice and drove about 2k miles without a single issue, but what I am reading is hair-raising. So, are all Pacifica Hybrids so flawed, or am I just reading about a small sample of less fortunate cars? Should I buy another brand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:31 PM

Garage
If your terrified of a screen going blank you probably shouldn't buy a new car.

Stick to anolog. Its a digital age and every vehicle has these potential issues.

Good luck.

Come to think of it, even old cars might have a check engine light or limp mode happen.. maybe the bus is better.

Actually I saw a bus being towed today on my way to work.. a cart. A cart is best.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 12-14-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post

Stick to anolog. Its a digital age and every vehicle has these potential issues.

Good luck.

Come to think of it, even old cars might have a check engine light or limp mode happen.. maybe the bus is better.

Actually I saw a bus being towed today on my way to work.. a cart. A cart is best.
You being rude and sarcastic here was totally uncalled for, obviously it is your prerogative but still... I totally agree with @gwojda1 , I am actually in almost an exact situation. I have a 2008 Prius and have been researching PacHy for months now and almost ready to buy it, but these constant complaints are putting me over the edge to not do it. Yes, you are absolutely right that it is a car and problems/check engine lights do come up, but the concern is for that to happen on a brand new car. Isn't that something to worry about when you are buying a 40K+ new car?
And yes, I am sure these may be a small sample size to write off the brand entirely, but some of the issues posted here are outright dangerous while many of the are just "annoyances". I don't mind a screen going blank, but the more common problems I am seeing are the car stalling, sliding door coming off etc.. How the f does the door fall off? If you are not concerned about the door coming off, then you're living in denial. You may be fortunate it hasn't happened to you, but by now I have seen it more than 5 times just on this forum. That is a huge safety issue.
Having said all that, I am still super thrilled to buy one (may be this weekend or next week), but the fact that I am not a 100% convinced, I am a little hesitant.
And yeah, I have had cars for about 20 years now and never ever had to go to the shop for an "issue" except, an oil change and tire replacements. That's what reliability means, not a freakin' brand new car stalling in the middle of no where, with little kids in tow. That is a HUGE concern before buying
JMACCA likes this.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:19 PM

Garage
**** happens man. You like it or you don't and the rest is chance regardless of the brand.

I work for BMW and I know the **** that goes wrong.. for me it's great, I get to be a real technician and not an oil changer.

I spent $68k CDN on mine. (All in after rebate) and I have had an excellent experience.

Your in a forum - people mostly complain on forums - so my sarcasm is, I feel, fitting.

Posts like these can be taken as troll posts. What kind of a reply are your expecting with an "I'm sacred of all the problems" type post anyway? There are lots of these popping up scaring more people.

There will ALWAYS be problems (I hope for my job security) and if you both searched the forums effectively you'd have see the majority of the 10,000+ of these are good - Yes, Chrysler Botched the recall software but that is corrected now, yes a guy on the line messed up but these are not a reflection of the overall product.

So you both own 2008 Toyota Prius. I just looked up the common issues on these vehicles and TBH its not much different!

Stalling, blank screens, check engine lights inverter cooling system issues.. see pic.

I like mine.. I highly recommend it now that the botch recall issue is over. I spent $300 this year on fuel for a 5500lb vehicle.

If you want a Hybrid minivan - this is the only one. Thats the choice.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_3769_1544818770041.PNG (86.7 KB, 65 views)
Bond007, pohoda and Longtimemopar like this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 12-14-2018 at 03:32 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Isn't that the truth?

Some cars have so much more software in them than others. It's possible to buy simpler, less complex vehicles. It's also possible to buy from manufacturers that have a better reputation for quality/quality control. Life is full of choices and risk management is part of that.

My wife's 2016 Edge has spent two months in the shop. The first was for the variable-ratio steering. Neat system, until it goes wrong. Then you're driving with the wheel at an odd position to keep the car going straight, which might be more than a little unnerving for some people. It's also had a cylinder head issue that took a month to get resolved, along with a radio system that needed to be replaced.

My 2008 T&C has been great. It's automotively simple, with a pushrod engine. It's eaten a quart of oil every 1,000 miles for its life, but that's pretty easy to manage. Never been in the shop more than a few times for a few days at a pop.

If the PacHy isn't your cup of tea in terms of reliability, there are many other vans to choose from. It's all a series of compromises. Nothing anyone here says can change that for you. Only you can decide what is important to you.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
**** happens man. You like it or you don't and the rest is chance regardless of the brand.

I work for BMW and I know the **** that goes wrong.. for me it's great, I get to be a real technician and not an oil changer.

I spent $68k CDN on mine. (All in after rebate) and I have had an excellent experience.

Your in a forum - people mostly complain on forums - so my sarcasm is, I feel, fitting.

There will ALWAYS be problems (I hope for my job security) and if you both searched the forums effectively you'd have see the majority of the 10,000+ of these are good - Yes, Chrysler Botched the recall software but that is corrected now, yes a guy on the line messed up but these are not a reflection of the overall product.

So you both own 2008 Toyota Prius. I just looked up the common issues on these vehicles and TBH its not much different!

Stalling, blank screens, check engine lights inverter cooling system issues.. see pic.

I like mine.. I highly recommend it now that the botch recall issue is over. I spent $300 this year on fuel for a 5500lb vehicle.

If you want a Hybrid minivan - this is the only one. Thats the choice.
Honestly, I'm really happy for your experience and that's exactly what I am saying. The reviews have been (as far as I have seen) on both extremes, super happy customers and terrified customers, no middle ground. So, I think it is fair to be skeptic before making a big purchase. And, you're absolutely right...cars will have problems, it is inevitable, stupid to think otherwise but my concern has been the number of complaints on brand new cars. Somehow it is hard for me to wrap my head around having major issues with a brand new car.
Yes, even the "most reliable" cars will have issues, like the picture you posted, but I haven't had a single issue with my car in years, just like you haven't with your PacHy and the thought of making multiple trips to the shop is a huge factor to be considered, with job & kids.
As mentioned earlier, I am still planning on buying and have not yet decided to not make the purchase, but it is that little skepticism that's bothering me. And, it is a no brainer with the gas savings, I am with you on that.

@RC Mike
It sucks that, that happened with your wife's car. You are right about the choices and compromises, but the skepticism is fair though for anyone. I am sure you did your research before buying one and were skeptic at times
m0ebius604 likes this.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Hey folks, no need to get sarcastic. My post is an honest question from someone who’s never owned a Chrysler product. The only time my wife called me for help on the Prius was when her 12V battery died in a parking lot because she left the headlights on for 2 hours. Sorry if I am concerned that she will call me from the expressway saying her new, $50k van just quit and she is in the median with kids scared in the back seat or that she cannot start it or stop it or the door just dropped on the ground. I am sorry, but it is not a Yugo and it is not 1988. A new car today, no matter the price, should be reliable enough to take you to your destination without the fear of stalling. Sorry, but there is no excuse. As for a BMW, I’ve been driving a 2016 X5 Plug in hybrid for 3 years and not a single time did I get a black screen or stall in the middle of the road.

All I am trying to do is make an informed consumer decision. Agreed that people like to complain, but if it’s a small percentage of owners, I am fine with that, but if 50% of owners experience highway stalling, I think I will look elsewhere.
RayLin, 1tg1 and rakeshrl like this.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 04:38 PM

You'll never be able to put a percentage on it. Those that have that data aren't likely to share it. Reasonably speaking, what are you looking to gather? On forums you'll hear from people who've had terrible experiences and those who haven't, but you'll never get quantifiable, actionable information. You're the only person that can determine what kinds of risks you're willing to take.
DougB likes this.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 05:36 PM

I pulled the trigger at the end of November and got a 2018 Pachy Limited and I couldn't be happier. My wife has been using the van every day and put 400 miles on it and used a little more than 1/4 tank of gas. The ride is excellent, it's going to take weeks to learn how to use the innumerable features and it has the capacity and comfort of a van. It's truly a one of a kind vehicle. My parents have always used Dodge Caravans and have not had any real maintenance issues. I am a Toyota fan, I also have a Prius and replaced my Sienna with this vehicle. I was also reluctant but bought mine now because I don't know how much longer the tax rebates and incentives are going to last and I wanted to support Chrysler for producing this unique, even though it shouldn't be, vehicle. So far, I am extremely happy that I did.
rakeshrl likes this.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-14-2018, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for replying dsnope. I am so glad yours is working well so far without stalling on the highway. I agree, kudos to Chrysler for finally producing a hybrid van. I love plug in hybrids and love the space, which is why I am considering Pachy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page