Has anyone removed a tire? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By EvilHomer
  • 1 Post By PhilBr60

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter

Has anyone removed a tire?

Has anyone removed a tire using the Chrysler tools?
I purchased a spare time kit from Chrysler for a trip just in case. Luckily I didn't need it! Today, I attempted to rotate my tires and could not do it. I first tried to use my speed-jack but could not find a beam to support it and decided to use the jack that was included in the spare tire kit. The jack fits in the recommended spot but does NOT lift the vehicle high enough to remove the tire! Not only that, if contacts the body flaring and bends it. There is a hard stop on the jack and it's not possible to lift the vehicle. I have the standard tires (17" Wheel with 65R17 tires) and nothing special otherwise.

Has anyone attempted to use the spare tire kit and jack? If so, is there something special that must be done with this? I'm going to get a block of steel to allow me to use the speed-jack but I need to get the supplied jack working on the road.

On another note, the lug wrench in the kit seems to be one of the poorest quality tools I've ever used. The wrench metal actually twisted when I was loosening the lug nuts on the one tire I had started on. P-poor quality!!

FYI, I've been doing my own tire changes and rotations for over 30 years now.

Thanks,

Phil
2018 Pacifica PHEV Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 08:16 PM

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 09:36 PM

Those jack pads are a nice idea. Gonna have to pick some up.

Recently rotated the tires on both our vehicles. I'd picked up a Ridgid cordless impact wrench. Made short work of the job, and was really pleasant to use.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-16-2018, 10:31 PM

My van doesn't have a spare, so I'll never need the chrysler jack. I just used my impact gun and floor Jack to rotate my tires (right on the pinch weld per the manual). I figure with my front tires doing the steering, acceleration, and almost all of the braking, rotation was even more important than on non-hybrids.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, just discovered my 30 years of rotations don't mean squat! The Toyotas I worked on were pretty self-evident. I should have read the darn manual better as I saw that I was not putting the jack on the weld but on the body itself. The cutout threw me for a loop and the jack only has an indentation that I thought was for storage. It seems to work now.

Stupidly yours,
Phil
EvilHomer likes this.

Phil
2018 Pacifica PHEV Limited
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018Hybrid View Post
My van doesn't have a spare, so I'll never need the chrysler jack. I just used my impact gun and floor Jack to rotate my tires (right on the pinch weld per the manual). I figure with my front tires doing the steering, acceleration, and almost all of the braking, rotation was even more important than on non-hybrids.
How are you rotating with a single jack (since you can't put standard jackstands on this vehicle while jacked due to no separate service jack location?) Just jacking up one side (both tires on that side in the air) then rotating front to back without crossing to the other side of the vehicle?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 07:02 PM

I have this really cool old craftsman floor jack that releases a jack stand when lifted. Without something like that, you need 2 jack's or a jack and a jack stand. This assumes there is room to squeeze a jack stand next to the jack.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-24-2018, 02:30 AM

Quote:
I have this really cool old craftsman floor jack that releases a jack stand when lifted. Without something like that, you need 2 jack's or a jack and a jack stand. This assumes there is room to squeeze a jack stand next to the jack.
There isn't room, at least not for any relatively normal jack stand I've seen before. If you had a really narrow one you could maybe fit it in next to a bottle or scissor jack, but not a normal floor jack. I've had the same problem on several recent cars and ended up buying some Rennstands to get around it. On those you put part of the stand in-between the jack and car then install the legs of the stand once it's at the right height. Pricey though...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogremustcrush View Post
Quote:
There isn't room, at least not for any relatively normal jack stand I've seen before. If you had a really narrow one you could maybe fit it in next to a bottle or scissor jack, but not a normal floor jack. I've had the same problem on several recent cars and ended up buying some Rennstands to get around it. On those you put part of the stand in-between the jack and car then install the legs of the stand once it's at the right height. Pricey though...
One of us is looking at the wrong place (or our vans are different). Mine has 6"+ gaps in the rocker trim, exposing the pinch weld for jacking on both the front and back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181227_195350_1545958646012.jpg (121.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 20181227_195336_1545958658242.jpg (117.0 KB, 18 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page