how to remote start on level 2 electricity only - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

how to remote start on level 2 electricity only

Read many threads. Some have said theirs preconditions the interior every time off of the level 2 charger.

I'm in wisconsin. Temp is around 15-20 degrees now. Whenever i remote start the van, the ICE turns on. I was hoping it would heat the steering wheel and interior on the level 2 charger.

The manual says, "While plugged in the remote start feature for the vehicle may not always start the engine."

Does anyone have the conditions required to start or pre-condition interior just by the level 2 charger and not ICE?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:32 PM

I live in the wrong part of the country to test this but here is what the glossary document in the Facebook Pacifica Hybrid group has to say about that:

Pittman Method: A method developed by group member David Pittman to turn on the accessories and HVAC of the PacHy without turning the van to “Run”. If external environmental factors dictate, remote starting the PacHy, even with it plugged in, will turn on the ICE. The Pittman Method is performed by pushing the “Start” button twice WITHOUT touching the brake pedal. This will cause the van to run accessories and turn on climate control. This effectively heats the van in cold weather from the wall outlet (resistant heat will draw power from the traction battery. The traction battery will start to charge since it is not full and it’s plugged in.)

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:40 PM

If you push the start button twice without putting your foot on the brake it will put the car in "run" mode... I believe without the engine running.

I'm not sure if this will turn on the heater(s), but worth a try. Unfortunately you can't do that remotely that I'm aware of.
I'm pretty sure the ICE will start with the remote start if it's below 40 degrees.

Depending on your cost of gas vs electricity, it may be less expensive to have the car warm up using the ICE while plugged in.

Edit: Didn't notice AZBean responded

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Tri–Pane Panoramic Sunroof
18–Inch x 7.5–Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
Build date 10/25/2018

Last edited by Minivan=MegaFun; 12-17-2018 at 11:47 PM.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-17-2018, 11:54 PM

But, as I mentioned...

I would try to figure out your cost comparison on running the ICE vs using the electricity to heat the car.

Also, I think if it's cold enough and you're warming up the car on electricity only, it may be using more energy than the on-board charger can supply (even with a level 2)... so you may also be reducing your electric only range when you go to drive it.

I actually want to do the reverse... I want the ICE to come on to heat the car up when it's just above 40F. As I'm pretty sure it cost me more to heat the car up using electricity than it does using gas when it's between 40-50 degrees, based on my local gas and electric prices.

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Tri–Pane Panoramic Sunroof
18–Inch x 7.5–Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels
Build date 10/25/2018
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
I live in the wrong part of the country to test this but here is what the glossary document in the Facebook Pacifica Hybrid group has to say about that:

Pittman Method: A method developed by group member David Pittman to turn on the accessories and HVAC of the PacHy without turning the van to “Run”. If external environmental factors dictate, remote starting the PacHy, even with it plugged in, will turn on the ICE. The Pittman Method is performed by pushing the “Start” button twice WITHOUT touching the brake pedal. This will cause the van to run accessories and turn on climate control. This effectively heats the van in cold weather from the wall outlet (resistant heat will draw power from the traction battery. The traction battery will start to charge since it is not full and it’s plugged in.)
I'll give that a try. When you push the start button twice without touching the break, does the check engine light come on and does the car ding? I think i did that twice yesterday and my heart sank, as I figured something broke with the check engine light on. I turned the van off, turned back on (probably with my foot now on the brake) and the check engine light went away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan=MegaFun View Post
But, as I mentioned...

I would try to figure out your cost comparison on running the ICE vs using the electricity to heat the car.

Also, I think if it's cold enough and you're warming up the car on electricity only, it may be using more energy than the on-board charger can supply (even with a level 2)... so you may also be reducing your electric only range when you go to drive it.

I actually want to do the reverse... I want the ICE to come on to heat the car up when it's just above 40F. As I'm pretty sure it cost me more to heat the car up using electricity than it does using gas when it's between 40-50 degrees, based on my local gas and electric prices.
If i knew how much gas was consumed at idle for 10 minutes of remote starting, i could perhaps figure out the cost comparison; however, this would require going out to the car and kind of defeats the purpose of having the remote start.

I've found 5-10 minutes of remote start, and the car is toasty (compared to the other vehicles we have), so i'll probably just let it do its thing and live with it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:

don't people do this Pittman Method to keep the car heating on electricity while plugged into an RV outlet and sleeping in the car?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
I'll give that a try. When you push the start button twice without touching the brake, does the check engine light come on and does the car ding? I think i did that twice yesterday and my heart sank, as I figured something broke with the check engine light on. I turned the van off, turned back on (probably with my foot now on the brake) and the check engine light went away.
It is normal for the check engine light to come on when it is in this on-but-not-ready-to-drive state. I do it all the time when tinkering with the UConnect system. The ding I think you are referring to is just the seat belt warning.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
It is normal for the check engine light to come on when it is in this on-but-not-ready-to-drive state. I do it all the time when tinkering with the UConnect system. The ding I think you are referring to is just the seat belt warning.
Whew. so many people complaining about their car starting on fire, or axles breaking, uconnect not working, i was hoping i didn't have a serious problem.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Whew. so many people complaining about their car starting on fire, or axles breaking, uconnect not working, i was hoping i didn't have a serious problem.

Really, there's very few complaining about those anomalous issues. Most are sailing down the road happily.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L - ruby red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 12-18-2018, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tg1 View Post
Quote:
Whew. so many people complaining about their car starting on fire, or axles breaking, uconnect not working, i was hoping i didn't have a serious problem. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/PacificaForums/smilies/tango_face_wink.png[/IMG]
Really, there's very few complaining about those anomalous issues. Most are sailing down the road happily.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/PacificaForums/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/IMG]

Well that's the problem with online forums I suppose. More likely to have enthusiasts posting about problems trying to resolve them or gain clarity on the issue. You're probably right, how many thousand of these vans are being happily driven without issue and never post on here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page