HVAC question - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

HVAC question

When I am traveling alone in my pachy and dont want to run the heat in the winter to try to prevent the ICE from I leave the HVAC off (which seems to work). The windows sometimes fog up and I am forced to turn the hvac on, which invariably starts the engine up (and uses tons of battery power), if I turn the temperature down it still is pretty much the same (and defrost I understand turns the A/C on which certainly turns on the ICE).

So the question: Is there a way to blow some air on the windows, defog and not freeze to death without using ICE?

Btw my wife says I am an idiot, and should roll the window down (and freeze to death).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejunum View Post
When I am traveling alone in my pachy and dont want to run the heat in the winter to try to prevent the ICE from I leave the HVAC off (which seems to work). The windows sometimes fog up and I am forced to turn the hvac on, which invariably starts the engine up (and uses tons of battery power), if I turn the temperature down it still is pretty much the same (and defrost I understand turns the A/C on which certainly turns on the ICE).

So the question: Is there a way to blow some air on the windows, defog and not freeze to death without using ICE?

Btw my wife says I am an idiot, and should roll the window down (and freeze to death).
I donít have a PacHy but I didnít by a Pacifica to NOT enjoy the creature comforts.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnectģ Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8ĖPassenger Seating & 20ĖInch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jejunum View Post

I preheat my Pachy while it's plugged in with the HVAC on auto set to a low temp. I then leave the HVAC on auto set to a low temp and use the seat and steering wheel heaters. With the van being preheated the HVAC uses little if and power, the battery is preheated and the ICE stays off unless I step on the gas hard. I started off trying to turn the HVAC off but found that when the windows fog up and I need to turn it on to clear the windows the ICE will come on. Iíll turn it off on days when the windows wonít fog.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 11:57 PM

If you don't breathe then there's less moisture to build up on the windshield, but that might not be the best suggestion. The pre-heat seems to help keep the engine off and take the edge off the interior temps, which combined with the heated seats and steering wheel use a lot less energy.

One thing I've found works ok for mild fogging is to set the climate control for defrost then turn off. I can then press the "Off" button to toggle on to last setting (defrost) for about thirty seconds on low fan speed, then press Off again to switch off. For a half hour commute I've only had to do that three or four times and it isn't on long enough to cause the engine to fire up unless it was already coming on for battery temperature conditioning or extreme cold outside like the last couple days in the 20s.

Eric H. - '19 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - '04 Neon SRT-4 (eBlue/S2)
'92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T - '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
'07 Ram 1500 - '14 CTS-V Wagon - plus some other stuff

Last edited by blackbird; 12-20-2018 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Clarified which button being used.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
If you don't breathe then there's less moisture to build up on the windshield, but that might not be the best suggestion. The pre-heat seems to help keep the engine off and take the edge off the interior temps, which combined with the heated seats and steering wheel use a lot less energy.

One thing I've found works ok for mild fogging is to leave the climate control off and then press the front defroster button and run for about thirty seconds on low fan speed, then press again to switch off. For a half hour commute I've only had to do that three or four times and it isn't on long enough to cause the engine to fire up unless it was already coming on for battery temperature conditioning or extreme cold outside like the last couple days in the 20s.
That would be a good option if it works where you are without running the ICE. It must be a little colder where Iím at. I started out by doing what you are but every time I pressed the front defroster button the ICE would come on. The first time it would stay on long enough to warm up even after turning the defroster off.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:48 AM

OP, I know a guy who goes around the house without turning on the lights, in order to save money on the electric bill.
He tripped over a sewing machine his wife left on the floor by the door, and broke his femur. His leg is still not without pain.

"History may not repeat itself, but it often rhymes". -Mark Twain
hookshot1 and RC Mike like this.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:40 AM

I tend to use the seat and steering wheel warmers in cold weather, but I also keep the HVAC set at a "reasonable" low temperature. Maybe that's because I'll end up using the ICE on my commute home and I don't go out of way to prevent it from coming on. But I also acknowledge that I bought a Hybrid, not an EV, and the electric engine isn't at its best in winter weather.
hookshot1 likes this.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:16 AM

For the ultimate in economy, factory order the van without a heater or AC system. Weight savings would be a plus as well.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM

I knew a guy who ordered a base Toyota Tacoma in the '90s. The front bumper was actually an option he sprang for. No radio or speakers at all.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
For the ultimate in economy, factory order the van without a heater or AC system. Weight savings would be a plus as well.
I already have a Miata that might one day go down the stripped out route, not sure my wife would appreciate it...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page