After recall was done, fan starts up when charging? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackbird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 03:13 AM Thread Starter

After recall was done, fan starts up when charging?

I think this was mentioned somewhere... I finally took my 2018 van for its 2nd oil change and they did my safety recall U73/NHTSA 18v-332 for the powertrain. But ever since we got back the van, almost every time we charge the van, it sounds like it starts up with full fan blowing. It'll happen a few times while charging. Anybody else know what causes that? Or is that normal? Also, I notice that the engine comes on a bit more for no reason while van idling in a drive-thru for example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreak View Post
I think this was mentioned somewhere... I finally took my 2018 van for its 2nd oil change and they did my safety recall U73/NHTSA 18v-332 for the powertrain. But ever since we got back the van, almost every time we charge the van, it sounds like it starts up with full fan blowing. It'll happen a few times while charging. Anybody else know what causes that? Or is that normal? Also, I notice that the engine comes on a bit more for no reason while van idling in a drive-thru for example.
The cooling fan during charging is a known side effect of the firmware changes they made as part of that recall. It will happen only with a level 2 charger. It is trying to keep the battery temperature down while it is being rapidly charged. I am a little surprised that you are seeing this in the winter. I observed it all the time during the summer and fall here in Phoenix, but not lately.

Be glad that you waited to do this recall. If you had done it before September you would have gotten a version of the software that could lose timing synchronization during the transition from electric to gas power, thereby flooding the catalytic converters and destroying them.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Lol. I did not know about the damage the 1st recall would've done. I guess I'm glad we waited.
Btw, temp in the garage (75-90) varies. I live Hawaii. But on the days we noticed the fans going on, it wasn't that hot in the garage. Like 78-82deg (I don't trust the garage door LED temp reading). But it does turn on.
I forgot to check other vans that was on the lot, but still can't figure out why HD music cuts in and out in the van. Some days it works great, other days, no HD sound just standard stereo (you can notice that the highs notes are muted). And stations with multiple sub-channels, the sub-channels don't work.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstreak View Post
I forgot to check other vans that was on the lot, but still can't figure out why HD music cuts in and out in the van. Some days it works great, other days, no HD sound just standard stereo (you can notice that the highs notes are muted). And stations with multiple sub-channels, the sub-channels don't work.
The HD Radio cutting out is likely normal. It's a digital sub-carrier that's broadcast in the same frequency range as the analog FM (or AM) radio waves. Very much like digital HD television after the transition from analog to digital, it's either on or off, so to speak. Where analog radio can fade in and out and have some occasional static and background noise, when the broadcast signal drops out of a moment you'll drop out of HD receiver mode and should fall back to the base analog broadcast. This can be more problematic if you're listening to a sub-channels (i.e. listening to a different program on an HD1, HD2, etc. stream).

There's many things that can affect the signal. Location of the transmitter in relation to where you're driving (the digital radio broadcast range has a much smaller range than analog), atmospheric conditions (even more problematic on AM HD), driving by tall buildings or underpasses that temporary interrupt or degrade the reception.

I haven't listened to many HD stations since picking up my van recently, but I did notice a couple occasions when changing inputs or just after starting the van the head unit would lock onto an HD stream but have no sound until changing the channel.

HD Radio (a trademark of iBiquity Digital Corporation) is normally best for stationing reception such as home or if you live very close to the transmit tower, always have a strong, clean signal and reception path. There is some minor digital error correction built in to the broadcast but it takes very little for it to drop out and fall back to standard analog.
mark likes this.

Eric H. - '19 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - '04 Neon SRT-4 (eBlue/S2)
'92 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T - '91 Dodge Spirit R/T
'07 Ram 1500 - '14 CTS-V Wagon - plus some other stuff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page