Strategy for maintenance for occasional use and outdoor parking - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Bad Dolphin

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Strategy for maintenance for occasional use and outdoor parking

Well, I went out and got the 2018 PacHy, in a Limited trim at my family's urging.

Our situation is this: This minivan will likely only be used on the weekends (roadtrips, camping, carpooling). It will be parked on the street or driveway (while charging) as the garage is too small. We are fortunate to live in a neighborhood where I can find a spot within 50 ft of the house. In San Francisco, we don't get extreme temperatures (usually between 40-80F), but we get fog and we are one mile from the ocean (salt air).

So the issue is this:
1. What sort of driving strategy would you recommend for someone with my situation? Should I take it for at least one errand a day (and hopefully not lose the parking spot in front of our house)? On Wednesdays? Drive at least 5 miles? 10 miles? I suspect letting it sit outside unmoving outdoors for five days straight/week might not be the best for it.
2. What is the absolute minimum washing strategy would you recommend? We also have a tree. People who park in our driveway inevitably get bird poop on it. So when charging, the PacHy will get bird poop. Maybe i just need reassurance my previous strategy on my old car (Honda Civic, 98, 20 years, 316K miles, rest in peace) washed at a car wash once a year and detailed only 3x/lifetime is enough. Then again, the old Honda was usually garaged and driven daily. Otherwise, what's with these exterior coverings, waxing every weekend, washing the undercarriage near salt air stuff? It's freaking me out.

Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 05:33 PM

You can leave it plugged in and charging for extended periods, I wouldn't treat it any different than any other vehicle (i.e. maybe drive it every now and then to keep the rotors from rusting over).

As far as bird poop, maybe throw a car cover on it. Bird poop will eat a clear coat away in no time. Also consider getting the a entire vehicle wrap/clear bra.

other than that, put yourself at ease...nothing to worry about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 09:19 PM

Garage
The HV battery will leave longer if it is stored at 40% charge or less.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 10:14 AM

Please point me to an article where I could read more about this.

2019 PacHy Limited Brilliant White/Mocha Interior
1999 Honda Accord
1996 Nissan 300ZX 2+2
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2018, 12:55 PM

A nice detail and some Ceramic car coating will help
some . Best to park in a shady spot not under a tree that
drips sap on other stuff. UV is the enemy of paint
and interior surfaces especially Leather.
I use to use a breathable car cover when I cared a lot
about my vehicles.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:21 PM

Congratulations!

If guy want to keep your car beautiful, a car cover will deal with bird poop, UV and sap from tree. If it’s onlt in and off once a week, the extra 10 minutes might be worth it.

Salt is beastly. But we lived about 4 blocks from the Pacific in SoCal with at least one car on the street, including a 1996 Chrsysler town and Clubtry) and rust from st was never an issue. The advice about washing the undercarriage is great—if you’re driving in the beach at low tide! In Texas coastal areas, critical! But nothing to worry about in ™️ your situation.

We have a 2017 Gas Pacifica and have left it undriven for a month with no issues st all. If you’re on a trickle charge under the tree, you shouldn’t have any either. And if you’re actually driving it once a week, no issues at all.

In fact, we’ve had a dedicated sports/camping vehicle of one mind je another parked in the atreeet over the last 35 years, driven once a week like you except during the winter when it might sutvfur a month or more. With a windshield facing southeast, a small solar trickle charger did the trick. We didn’t wash it at all out of season, (Town and Country, Suburban, then Sprinter). A spring wash and wax kept them looking just great, with more frequent washes (to taste) during the active seasons and another wash/wax in the fall.

At the same time, we kept my wife’s VW GLI in the driveway. When we traveled in the other rig for months, I’d wash and then cover it. At 11 years old, many people comment that it still looks new! And it’s black paint!

If you don’t want to do the cover, a ceramic wrap as suggested puts a physical clear coat on top of your paint’s clear coat. But you’re going to see all the stuff on it, so how often you wash is up to your sensibilities.

So it really depends on you. Bird poop and sap really will “get” your clear coat, so if you can avoid the tree, it would be better.

If you want to keep your paint looking great, ceramic and/or car cover would be the way to go.

Or you could do the Honda thing and not worry about it!
Bond007 and jenofsf like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page