Any ideas how to force PacHy into ICE mode when above 0%? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-27-2018, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Any ideas how to force PacHy into ICE mode when above 0%?

I've been thinking (oh thanks for all the awesome discussions, I've been lurking around for a while), is there some way to fool PacHy into running ICE instead of electric? I know there's no "EV/ICE Mode", but maybe there's some way to fool it? Temp sensor override? or has anyone tinkered with how the ECU gets a signal to kick in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 AM

Funny you should ask!

If you pop the hood the ICE will start but I would not recommend doing that while driving. That also charges the high voltage battery.

The switch that controls that is in plain view when you pop the hood. The switch shorts out a 1000 ohm resistor that is right on the bottom of the switch at the end of the wiring harness.

I was half thinking of doing a test to see what happens if you do that while driving on a lonely country road with a remote switch inside the van.

But................I asked myself WHY?

2018 Hybrid Pearl Black on Black
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 12:51 PM

Garage
I know someone with more curiosity than common sense who tried this approach. With the switch disconnected the ICE stops soon after the van starts moving. MIL comes up in a short while.
TomB985 and popcanguy like this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

That sucks... That would have been a neat little mod. Has anyone tried to figure out how the ECU is getting a signal to kick in?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 07:56 PM

I think this would be a very handy feature to have. I live quite close to a highway, so I would like to run the ICE all the way from my house so the engine has a chance to warm up before I have to hit expressway speeds. And that way I can save battery power for when I arrive in town to maximize fuel-efficiency.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
I know someone with more curiosity than common sense who tried this approach. With the switch disconnected the ICE stops soon after the van starts moving. MIL comes up in a short while.
"someone" eh? LOL

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Molten Silver
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-28-2018, 09:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by popcanguy View Post
"someone" eh? LOL
You know... a friend.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
You said “with the switch disconnected” but it was mentioned that the switch shorts a 1000 ohm resistor. To me, this means that the switch is designed so that the control unit can tell if it’s disconnected. In other words, there are three states that can be sensed; practically 0 ohms (hood open), 1000 ohms (hood closed), and practically infinite resistance (switch disconnected or tampered with). Could it be that if you actually disconnected the switch (infinite resistance) the control unit threw an error assuming that the switch had been disconnected?
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:07 PM

Garage
Is the resistor internal to the switch?

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 12:06 PM

The switch as it is mounted under the hood and the underside of the switch showing the resistor.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2291.jpg (173.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2290.jpg (136.7 KB, 34 views)

2018 Hybrid Pearl Black on Black

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page