Crankshaft pulley - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By arteitle

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Unhappy Crankshaft pulley

I bought a new 3.5 L V6 2004 Chrysler Pacifica engine and everything went as expected when installing it. I torqued everything to specs and attached the engine to the transmission. I used a socked and a breaker bar to turn the crankshaft pulley and it only turns around to 350 degree and stops on both sides. (Clockwise and counter clockwise as well). I know that this sounds dumb but does the crankshaft spins freely indefinitely (continuously) or it supposed to stop spinning at 350 degrees when the engine is off? The serpentine belt is still out and the engine is on neutral. (I was thinking that the transmission might be locked?) Any help is very much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 10:31 PM

I have never seen an engine that you couldn't turn all the way around unless something is wrong. I would suspect that there is a problem stopping it from turning. I would pull the sparkplugs and see if it will turn over then. If there is water, oil etc. in one of the cylinders that could be stopping it and would be pushed out through the sparkplug hole. If that’s not it I would look in the sparkplug holes with a flashlight to see if I could see anything in one of the cylinders. I would also pull the rocker arm covers and see if a valve has dropped.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Dave! Thanks for the help bud! I just took the coils and spark plugs out and looked inside, nothing suspicious! I turned the crankshaft counter clockwise and it only spins to 350 degree and stops and I can spin it back to clockwise for another 350 degree back! I got the engine with 80K miles on it from a seller on eBay with 1123 stellar reviews of 100%. I am an idiot, I should have payed more attention to the flywheel when installed on new engine and see if it turns the whole way before attaching everything to the transmission. I am pretty sure I seated the torque converter properly as I followed the Hanes manual and made sure of the clearance in the bell housing as well. I attached the flywheel to the torque and torqued the bolts as well. (I hope that this is not the issue as I am too tired to remove the engine again from the transmission and double check everything. Question:

Can a locked transmission cause the crankshaft not to turn? (I assumed that since it's a new engine the computer might not have recognized it and once I put the battery back on it might? (then again, If I put everything back together and it's not working I will have to take everything out again haha!)

I will see if I can remove the covers to look at the rocker arms tomorrow and see if something is a miss. Thanks for your feedback!

If anyone else have any ideas I would very much appreciate them!

John

Choosing to be positive and having a grateful attitude is going to determine how you're going to live your life.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
For anyone reading this forum later on. I was able to remove the entire engine again since I couldn't figure out why Crankshaft won't spin more than 360 degree continually and I found out that the Flex-plate with hitting the bell housing. In case this helps someone in the future. It could be bent. Good luck with everything. The car I have is a 2004 Chrysler Pacifica 3.5L V6 engine! Good luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 11:51 PM

This forum is actually for the 2017 and newer Pacifica minivan, not the earlier crossover SUV with the same name.
EvilHomer likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page