How far can the PHEV go without recharging? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

How far can the PHEV go without recharging?

We have been considering the PHEV........but

(1) It will save diddly on gas given our area - maybe $10 a month

(2) It does get around 31-32 mpg though with our driving patterns (or so says the calculator at the EPA fuel mileage website) and my current wagons get 30-34mpg

(3) It has a huge amount of cargo space

But the big problem is will this thing leave me stranded on certain trips?

FOr example, in May I have to make a trip that is 640 miles each way. While at the event, it will be doing another 40-50 miles a day. This all takes place over 7 -8 days.

Total mileage over 7-8 days of 1460 -1500 miles

There will NOT BE anywhere to plug it in. NONE.

No charger at the hotel, No charger at the event site (there all day from 8AM - 6PM)

Nearest charging station (Level 2) is 45 minutes each way from the event. And it is ONLY open during regular business hours --- exactly when I am at the event

No way can I get anywhere to charge. Taking it to charge and a taxi back to the event (and then reverse that to go back and get it) is NOT an option --- not with 3 100lb dogs who with me to show.

It has to do the 7-8 day trip and nearly 1500 miles WITHOUT getting recharged. Other times it will 600-1000 miles of travel over 5-6 days - and no place to charge.

So here is the question - Can the PHEV do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:19 PM

Are there no gas stations in your area?
Bond007 and arteitle like this.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

You obviously did NOT notice -- I said TRIP - as in NOT HOME and as in NO PLACE TO CHARGE IT

By the time I get to the event, the battery will be drained nearly totally.

And the question is whether - when the battery pack is drained and not recharged -will the bloody thing start?

Chrysler couldn't give me an answer. All they could say was the battery charge will last 21 days with light use and they didn't know for sure but that they guessed that, on that 1500 mile trip with NO recharging, it has a 60% of starting and a 40% chance of leaving me stranded

So has ANYONE had one of these make that kind of 1100-1500 mile trip over 5-8 days and NOT recharged it and still had it start and run?

Last edited by onthelake; 12-31-2018 at 01:33 PM.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:35 PM

Itís a hybrid, fella. You donít have to charge it. Thereís a big honking gasoline engine under the hood. Youíre operating under some very wrong assumptions about how it works.
Bond007, arteitle, bbq and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:39 PM

Garage
Consider this vehicle as a true HEV with a Plug.

You will forfeit the all electric function if you choose not to charge the vehicle which is its biggest advantage - But it never needs to be plugged in.

EV’s are opposite gas vehicles for efficiency for city/hwy useage.

If you choose to use an electrified vehicle mostly on the highway, then you will be arguably no better off than a gas vehicle.. but you can manage upwards of 10x the economy in the worst city traffic and short trip journeys where gas vehicles perform worst.

You might want to consider the potential benefit when your not on long haul trips where this vehicle shines. And accept long hauls as a wash.

Cheers

Ps: download PlugShare app. You might be surprised the coverage these days.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 12-31-2018 at 01:48 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Itís a hybrid, fella. You donít have to charge it. Thereís a big honking gasoline engine under the hood. Youíre operating under some very wrong assumptions about how it works.

How sexist you are..... "fella"...... talk about assumptions!

And CHRSYLER are the ones who said it can leave me stranded if not charged........

Looks like you are wrong
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=m0ebius604;541441]Consider this vehicle as a true HEV with a Plug.

If you choose to use an electrified vehicle mostly on the highway, then you will be no better off than a gas vehicle.. but youíll can manage upwards of 10x the economy in the worst city traffic and short trip journeys where gas vehicles perform worst.

QUOTE]

According to the EPA calculator for plug in vehicles, it should get around 32mpg on gas

As I said, it won't save squat on gas because of our area - so NOT a city, 40 miles round trip to the large grocery store (and only 6 miles of that is at less than 55 mph with 5 stop lights), 47 miles round trip to Home Depot etc

Gorgeous here - get 1,500,000 tourists every summer but you drive - drive long distance for stuff on 55mph roads (not highway). Normal errand day with 5-9 stops is 64-70 miles. It is 15 miles round trip at 55mph to go to the post office and even a gas station.

The ONLY appeal is that the gas mileage (gas not electric) is around 31--32 vs the regular Pacifica at an appalling 19-28.

So why is Chrysler saying that if I take it on that 1500 mile trip without recharging it there is a very very good chance it will NOT START and I'll be sitting at Purina Farms in MO at 6PM at night with 3 huge dogs and with St Louis and help an hour away??

If the battery recharged from the gas engine (as does Prius) enough to keep it starting and running, then there would be no need for a plug!
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthelake View Post
How sexist you are..... "fella"...... talk about assumptions!

And CHRSYLER are the ones who said it can leave me stranded if not charged........

Looks like you are wrong
Chrysler told you that? Is that in written format? Can you repost it here please, and let us know who gave you that wrong info?
Lot of us here are Pacifica hybrid drivers and can assure you 100% that the vehicle does not need to be charged if you don't want to, just fill it up with regular gas and it drives like a regular car.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited - Molten Silver
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
How sexist you are..... "fella"...... talk about assumptions
Iím not so sure you know what sexist means. Had I assumed you were a woman because you donít know how a vehicle works, perhaps that would be sexist...

Thank you for the entertainment!
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:32 PM

Quote:
So why is Chrysler saying that if I take it on that 1500 mile trip without recharging it there is a very very good chance it will NOT START and I'll be sitting at Purina Farms in MO at 6PM at night with 3 huge dogs and with St Louis and help an hour away??

If the battery recharged from the gas engine (as does Prius) enough to keep it starting and running, then there would be no need for a plug!
The point of the plug is that unlike the Prius, you have the option to drive the Pacifica substantially on electricity alone, if you are able to recharge it frequently. That's the difference between a simple "hybrid" and a "plug-in hybrid". Who at Chrysler told you the vehicle wouldn't start if you didn't plug it in?

Last edited by arteitle; 12-31-2018 at 02:35 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page