Best info on when ICE runs when battery available? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

Best info on when ICE runs when battery available?

Hi,

When I first heard about the PacHy, it seemed to fill an empty space in the marketplace: a not-small car that could be powered mostly on electricity.

But now that I am seriously looking at getting one, the actual mechanics of not using gas seems very vague. When I had a Volt, they were clear when gas would be used if battery power was available: [1] when it is "too cold", [2] after 6 weeks of not using the ICE to maintain the engine, and [3] if the gas in the tank hasn't been used in a year. #1 was the contention point (although someone found that pre-heating the car for 10 minutes twice would minimize the gas usage when it was too cold out).

With the PacHy, the information seems limited. Obviously it will use the ICE if there is no battery power left. I've heard it comes on when it is cold -- but how cold? Some people say that when it is cold, the ICE only comes on if the heater is turned on -- is that really true? If so, can pre-heating the car be used?

It sounds like the "refresh mode" in the PacHy combines #2/#3 for the Volt. Is there data about how often the "lubrication" mode occurs, and how much gas it typically uses? Is there data about how often the "stale gas" refresh mode occurs (the manual says it stays that way until the "low gas" warning comes on, or new gas is added to the tank)?

I have also read that going over about 80MPH will turn on the ICE, and that accelerating too hard will turn on the ICE.
-Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:25 AM

I havenít noticed a hard line like 80 mph but if we go on the highway or otherwise drive ďhardĒ we will end up using a bit of the engine, regardless of battery status. The engine does come on briefly during idle in cold weather (we generally have the heat on) but itís honestly not been much of a problem.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Just from my limited experience in my 2019 I 've been trying to figure out the logistics of this as well. What i can tell you is somewhat accurate to what you mention.

1) If i remote start my car and the temperature is near or below zero Celsius it will always remote start with the ICE.
2) If it's generally cold out, again near zero Celsius, the ICE will run briefly at the beginning of the trip for a few minutes.
3) If it's below zero Celsius I notice from time to time the engine will kick in very briefly during the commute (my assumption is its keeping the engine warm in case it needs to switch over and its not a frozen engine)
4) I notice if i aggressively accelerate (or pedal to the metal as they say?) the ICE seems to kick in for a minute.

I'm not sure about the over 80mph piece... that's almost 130km/h here and we don't have any highways that high.
Where I live it doesn't normally get that cold so come January thats the best I can give you from my experience.

2016 Ford Focus Electric
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited S

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 02:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscott0 View Post
Hi,
With the PacHy, the information seems limited. Obviously it will use the ICE if there is no battery power left. I've heard it comes on when it is cold -- but how cold? Some people say that when it is cold, the ICE only comes on if the heater is turned on -- is that really true? If so, can pre-heating the car be used?
-Scott
For my PacHy (2018 Limited), the ICE comes on when the outside temperature as read on the dash drops to 32F. I keep the car in a garage, so this is usually a few minutes after I leave the garage. The ICE stays on until the water temperature reaches 168-169F and then it turns off. When the water temperature drops below 120F or so, the ICE turns on again.

2018 Pacific Hybrid Limited, Velvet Red Pearl Coat. 2014 Volt
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 PM

If you use the heat than the temperature the engine comes on at is somewhat higher. I believe from others posts that it will come on up to about 40F. It will go off once the cabin has warmed.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-11-2019, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shniest View Post
Just from my limited experience in my 2019 I 've been trying to figure out the logistics of this as well. What i can tell you is somewhat accurate to what you mention.

1) If i remote start my car and the temperature is near or below zero Celsius it will always remote start with the ICE.
2) If it's generally cold out, again near zero Celsius, the ICE will run briefly at the beginning of the trip for a few minutes.
3) If it's below zero Celsius I notice from time to time the engine will kick in very briefly during the commute (my assumption is its keeping the engine warm in case it needs to switch over and its not a frozen engine)
4) I notice if i aggressively accelerate (or pedal to the metal as they say?) the ICE seems to kick in for a minute.

I'm not sure about the over 80mph piece... that's almost 130km/h here and we don't have any highways that high.
Where I live it doesn't normally get that cold so come January thats the best I can give you from my experience.
You are pretty much spot on. I have a 2017 with 23k miles, and am in my second winter with the van.

1 & 2) The key here is it will only run as much as needed to warm the van and batteries. Unless it is VERY cold, like below 0 Farenheit, it will shut off after a few minutes and run electric only with the ICE kicking on to supplement periodically.
3) Same, I've also had the engine kick on during hard braking events. I don't know why this would be.
4) Indeed
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-2019, 02:31 PM

PacHy is a true hybrid, not an electric car with an on board gasoline powered battery charger like your Volt. The engine is an integral part of the power train and is not intended to be idle for long periods of time. The PacHy continuously variable transmission is a single set planetary system. The engine connects to the planet carrier, the big electric motor to the ring gear (outputs to final drive), and the small motor to the sun gear. The small motor controls the speed of the sun gear when the engine is running so as to vary the gear ratio.

If you want an electric car, this aint it.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:10 PM

100% of the time, 80MPH will trigger the ICE to run and stay on, as long as you are over 80mph. It has a small delay before kicking on at 80mph.
Also, once you use the engine, for any reason, during a trip, it will run randomly and for no reason whatsoever, until you shut the car off. I will (though don't try this yourself) put it in park and shut my car off at stoplights, open the door, close the door and start it back up. This gets it to run on pure electric again.

I'm in SoCal, so I have not seen the cold weather behavior, but I expect it would be similar to the Volt, as it is a bunch of LiPo cells that need heat to perform.

- Tron
2108 Pacifica Hybrid
Trailer Hitch
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Over the past week or so for me I have noticed that I can keep the engine off if I donít use the climate controls. I just use the seat heater and steering wheel and the engine wonít start as long as there is battery. Weather here in Chicago is pretty dang cold right now also. I donít think I have seen a morning above 32F/0C at least at 8 am when I have gone out to the car. Some mornings so far it has been in the low to mid teens. It is outside also so no extra boost from attached garage or anything like that. Charged outside overnight. When the windows fog up I turn on the heat/AC fora few mins to let it defrost, but if I donít do that the ICE stays off the whole time. Perhaps it would kick on anyway if I didnít defrost the windows?

2019 PacHy Limited
Ocean Blue "S"
Safety pack
Pany Roof
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM

Garage

Tags
cold , ice , refresh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page