Let me count the ways..... this car sucks - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Let me count the ways..... this car sucks

So back in November I totaled my car with the assistance of a deer. I needed something quickly and bigger than my last one and since I had a hybrid before my mom told me about the Pacifica Hybrid and insisted I would love it. There was only one in town. Went to check it out. Liked the look. Liked the size. Liked it during the very short test drive I got. Didn't get the chance to play around with the features. Decided "what the ****, why not". Purchased a 2018. Didn't drive it over the rest of the weekend. Drove it to work on Monday night. Everything was great for the first 30 minutes.

It started with this high pitched whine when I was going under 30 mph. Kinda sounds like a vacuum that tried to eat a sock and is using all its power to try to get that up. When I would do higher speeds (usually around 70 mph) the whining sound got lower and sounded a lot like metal grinding on metal. Couple hours later the touch screen system started rebooting itself..... every 30 seconds. Finally the weekend came and I had time to take it to the dealer. They kept it for a week and fixed just the touch screen. They couldn't find anything else wrong. Over the next week I had the touch screen system freezing for 3 minutes and the rebooting itself every time I turned on the vehicle. Then I only had the option of leaving my volume at 0 because if I turned it to 1 it would max out the Volume. So no sound or all the sound.

Since then things have only gotten worse. When I sit idled waiting for someone or at a stop light it kicks into its little rev cycle..... which sounds like someone grinding transmission gears in a stick shift they don't know how to drive. The loud metal grinding sounds are so bad I get those looks from people that flat out says "Jesus, take it to the junk yard already". The whining sound under 30 is now loud enough it overpowers anything playing through the speakers under volume level 17. It now also has the metal grinding sound. Same with the higher speeds. There's a stutter when I'm speeding up like I took my foot of the gas and the car starts to slow. Works again when I move my foot away and back to the gas. You can feel the grinding in the floor on the front driver side. My check engine light keeps coming on and going off after a couple hours. My key fob has left the vehicle..... while sitting in my pocket driving down the road.

The touch screen system is its own problem. Won't keep my presets on the radio and every time I turn the car off, next time I turn it on it goes to FM or AM or aux sometimes. Even went to USB a couple times now. Never have anything plugged in to the car though. Likes to forget my Bluetooth settings. It even likes to ignore my settings. I have a slight incline in my drive way. The Automatic Park Brake turns on every time. I have that setting turned off. I did turn on the speed adjusted volume since going to work can take a couple hours sometimes. That's like a fun game of sound roulette. It gets quieter when I speed up about half the time and a whole lot louder than I'd like when I slow down. Some days it's just better to turn the system off.

I've taken it to the dealer a second time. They told me they couldn't find anything wrong with it and all the sounds it makes are "normal". Normal my ass. My last two cars, which were totaled after hitting deer, didn't make sounds as bad as this vehicle does, and I hit those things pretty much head on. I've asked the dealer to just buy this car back but they've pretty much ignored me and the service department treats me like I'm an idiot.

The only thing I can say about this car is DO NOT BUY IT. Here's to hoping for another deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaideline View Post
...Then I only had the option of leaving my volume at 0 because if I turned it to 1 it would max out the Volume. So no sound or all the sound.

The whining sound under 30 is now loud enough it overpowers anything playing through the speakers under volume level 17.
So I guess Im not following you. A volume setting of 1 maxes out the volume so why would you ever make a comparison to the volume level at 17?

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM

Since they don't believe you and it seems to happen so much then video it happening and post it online. Give it a provocative title like "My Chrysler Sucks!!!" and post the link here. I'd like to see it too since I'm skeptical as well.
Bond007, mark and DoninDel like this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Garage
The electric drivetrain makes a whining sound, but it is less noticeable than any ICE racket would be. Record the noises you hear with the radio off and with the radio on a low volume for reference.
Bond007, dlieu and mark like this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 02:59 PM

There are not any normal grinding noises, so record it and let's here it. The drivetrain normally makes a sound like a distant police siren, but it is not irritating.

- Tron
2108 Pacifica Hybrid
Trailer Hitch
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjungman View Post
There are not any normal grinding noises, so record it and let's here it. The drivetrain normally makes a sound like a distant police siren, but it is not irritating.
As a matter of fact, I actually find it pleasing!
Frig likes this.

2019 PacHy Limited
Ocean Blue "S"
Safety pack
Pany Roof
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmcg View Post
As a matter of fact, I actually find it pleasing!
Maybe so, but does yours sound like "a vacuum that tried to eat a sock and is using all its power to try to get that up?" I would hope not.

Anyway, 24 hrs since OP posted, their 1st and only post, containing minor discrepancies and no followups. I'm thinking it was either a lame attempt at humor or it's a rival dealer/manufacturer making up disparaging disinformation...

...or it's someone legit with no time for online forums and has a hyper-possessed minivan \_(ツ)_/

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:50 PM

Did a drive up a mountain today and recorded a bit for those that want to hear what a Pacifica Hybrid sounds like, at speed, both in pure-electric and hybrid modes. There is some odd noise on the recording that is from the phone's dual-mic logic trying to find my voice, it grabs the wind noise and amplifies it. It happens just before passing the Honda and before catching up to the crappy old pickup thingy.
I don't hear any grinding or other issue, but I'm putting this here for reference.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAjsfXSgkxejJAuB7
Bond007, RC Mike, Frig and 2 others like this.

- Tron
2108 Pacifica Hybrid
Trailer Hitch
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 10:17 PM

Thank you @fjungman for making a nice comparison video. That looks like an awesome smooth ride for you. Is that road your daily commute....? Lucky you.
Before we jump on the OP for being a troll, please give him some more time, at least until this weekend or next to make a follow up post. You should understand that people have different schedules and priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Frig likes this.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjungman View Post
Did a drive up a mountain today and recorded a bit for those that want to hear what a Pacifica Hybrid sounds like, at speed, both in pure-electric and hybrid modes. There is some odd noise on the recording that is from the phone's dual-mic logic trying to find my voice, it grabs the wind noise and amplifies it. It happens just before passing the Honda and before catching up to the crappy old pickup thingy.
I don't hear any grinding or other issue, but I'm putting this here for reference.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/XAjsfXSgkxejJAuB7
Noticed your steering wheel doesn’t have the metallic trim or two tone leather but seems to have the limited features.

Didn’t know this steering wheel was an option?

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page