Considering purchasing a used 2017 PacHy - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Considering purchasing a used 2017 PacHy

Hi all - I am looking at a low mileage 2017 PacHy and, like many other posters on this forum, have seen some of the eyebrow-raising issues faced by the vehicle and some horror stories about their dealership's response and expertise in addressing them. I am trying to keep it all in perspective knowing that these types of forums tend to over-represent bad experiences over positive ones.

That said:
  • It appears to me that the most frequent significant issue boils down to the UConnect system having significant issues being the "brain" of the PacHy. I have ready all of the forum threads I can on the issue and haven't yet been able to get a clear answer to this question: Have UConnect OTA (Over the Air) updates made UConnect a stable platform after the initial reported issues? Or are folks still experiencing issues with the latest installed software?
  • There are plenty of reports of issues within the first 500 or so miles (the dreaded red turtle, sudden loss of power, etc) - but once a PacHy is beyond that - say to 5000 miles, are there any common issues experienced in the standard warranty mileage?
  • Are there any key questions I can use with the dealer that would help me differentiate whether this is on of the minority "trouble PacHys" vs. a reliable one?

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Your post was held for approval. You're good to go now. I'm sure some folks will chime in on your questions.

2017 PACIFICA LIMITED GRANITE CRYSTAL METALLIC, BLACK ALLOY, SAFETY TEC, UCONNECT THEATER/SOUND, 20" WHEELS. DELIVERED 09/12/16.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjplemmo View Post
Hi all - I am looking at a low mileage 2017 PacHy and, like many other posters on this forum, have seen some of the eyebrow-raising issues faced by the vehicle and some horror stories about their dealership's response and expertise in addressing them. I am trying to keep it all in perspective knowing that these types of forums tend to over-represent bad experiences over positive ones.

That said:
  • It appears to me that the most frequent significant issue boils down to the UConnect system having significant issues being the "brain" of the PacHy. I have ready all of the forum threads I can on the issue and haven't yet been able to get a clear answer to this question: Have UConnect OTA (Over the Air) updates made UConnect a stable platform after the initial reported issues? Or are folks still experiencing issues with the latest installed software?
  • There are plenty of reports of issues within the first 500 or so miles (the dreaded red turtle, sudden loss of power, etc) - but once a PacHy is beyond that - say to 5000 miles, are there any common issues experienced in the standard warranty mileage?
  • Are there any key questions I can use with the dealer that would help me differentiate whether this is on of the minority "trouble PacHys" vs. a reliable one?

Thanks in advance!
1) My UConnect is pretty stable. Nothing other than minor annoyances.
2) We’ve now got over 4600 on our ‘18 PacHy and the only real issue I’ve had is that the 12v battery died while I was on vacation for two weeks.
3) I think questions to the dealer won’t help that much. They’re in it to sell you the car so they’re not going to tell you anything that would sway you away from buying.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:13 AM

All I would say is, if that car didn't start on the test drive, don't buy it ....whatever the dealer promises to do afterwards.

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 09:13 AM

Welcome! I also have a 2017 and have been very happy with mine (~18 months and 22K miles). I've had 2 check-engine-lights in that time. In both cases, the car was safe to drive while the dealer ordered a part and then installed. I've also taken it in for a couple of recalls, but it was never out of service for more than a couple of hours at a time.

First off, UConnect for the 2017s is different than UConnect for the 2018s. I never had any of the problems that were reported on the forum with my UConnect, but the 2017s are lacking both Apple Carplay and Android Auto. I can still play audio from my phone using either Bluetooth or the USB connection, but some apps don't interact with UConnect like they do for the 2018 version.

If you know the VIN of this vehicle, I might check to see if there's a vehicle history online (CarFax or some similar site). Most of the reported problems do seem to be with fairly low mileage, except for the 12v battery. Since it sounds like Chrysler doesn't use a high-quality battery, I'll probably go to an independent shop if mine needs replacing in the future.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLambert View Post
Welcome! I also have a 2017 and have been very happy with mine (~18 months and 22K miles). I've had 2 check-engine-lights in that time. In both cases, the car was safe to drive while the dealer ordered a part and then installed.
Just curious, what were the defective parts?

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:18 PM

Is the warranty for the hybrid drive-train components transferrable? That would be a concern of mine.
ProfJonathan likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 01:17 PM

As far as I know the warranty is transferable. Just not sure about the hybrid part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Is the warranty for the hybrid drive-train components transferrable? That would be a concern of mine.
Yes, and the battery is warranted for 10 years minimum in the US. 15 in some states.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 02:23 PM

I m happy with my 2018. Have 10.5 k miles since Nov 2017. Only problems so far few uconnect intermittent errors (all self resolved almost immediately) and recently heated steering wheel stopped heating -will fix it next time there is a recall - too minor to worry about in california. Other then that did 2 recalls. I use Android auto all the time -would get one with android auto Google maps so much better than built in GPS

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited,
sunroof, 18 inch wheels
Black Pearl exterior/Diesel interior

Tags
pachyproblems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page