Pumping or Gear turning noise while parked and plugged in. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Pumping or Gear turning noise while off/parked and plugged in.

We have been noticing that the Hybrid has a low pumping noise that seems to come from the center of the dash board when the van is parked and charging. When I turn on the van the noise stops. It seems like this noise only starting happening recently Dec. Jan. and I am wondering if it is related to warming the battery or some other maintenance system keeping the oil circulating. I took a video that has the noise but do not know if we can upload a video here. There are no warning lights and the van seems fine otherwise.

Anyone else notice a similar noise from near the dash?

I have yet to try and document if the noise also occurs while not plugged in yet.

Edit.

I had U73 done in Dec. and never noticed the noise before that.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited Granite/Alloy

Last edited by blhx; 01-31-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Youtube video of pumping noise. May need to turn up your volume.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited Granite/Alloy

Last edited by blhx; 01-31-2019 at 04:15 PM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM

If I had to guess I'd say it's the electric coolant pump for the battery, circulating coolant either to warm the battery when it starts out cold, or to cool it as it charges.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhx View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42LQdCd4Pp0
Doesnít sound good to me. Iíve never heard anything like that.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 01:07 AM
tyc

Yup, got the exact same issue with mine, and Just like yours , started happening couple months ago.. sounds like an inkjet printer cleaning it's head. Only happens after car turns off. I have not taken to dealer yet.. and I don't notice any other problems with the venting and heating yet.. it's rather annoying to hear sometimes, but I have got a host of other issues that keep me entertained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blhx View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42LQdCd4Pp0
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:58 AM

Just wondering, what level charger are you using? Iím guessing you have a level 2. I havenít noticed this noise on mine but I do notice that when using a level 2 charger, the battery cooling system is much more active (fans run). Just wondering if a level 1 causes the same noise.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 06:30 PM
tyc

Yes using level 2 charger. Interesting point, as I did get a faster 6kw charger for home. However, I charge at work as well and it's also a 5.7kw and have been doing so since I got the van. So don't believe they are related.
Oh and one other note is I hear it even when. I'm not plugged in, and just after turning off the power. As OP said, only happens while power is off, and as soon as van is powered up, it stops
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car Dr. View Post
Just wondering, what level charger are you using? I’m guessing you have a level 2. I haven’t noticed this noise on mine but I do notice that when using a level 2 charger, the battery cooling system is much more active (fans run). Just wondering if a level 1 causes the same noise.

Last edited by tyc; 02-03-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

Update:

I have been trouble shooting this for 4 months now. Here are my observations:

1) Happens when charging and also sometimes when just turning off the car and not charging.
2) I have used level 1 EVSE and 3 different level 2 EVSE chargers ranging from 16-32 amps and the sound happens on all of them.
3) I have started to hear the noise rarely while driving but it is intermittent and seems to be loosley related to the Air Conditioner because I can change the noise speed by turning on/off the AC while it is happening.
4) Just starting in April 2019 I get a MIL light that will stay lit for hours then then turn off and this has repeated itself for 2 weeks now.
5) I checked the code using OBDII scanner and discovered a Battery Heating System Error. I will post actual code (UPDATE: U1124 OBD2 code) next time it appears but I googled the code and others have said it is not critical and they continued to drive until they could get it looked at.

These symptoms make me think it is indeed a problem with the EV battery cooling pump like mentioned above. I am going to have the dealership look at it in May. I will post updates as I get them.
m0ebius604 likes this.

Last edited by blhx; 04-17-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Updated with OBD2 code
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:18 PM

I have had the same noise a couple of different times so far. I'm at 17,000 on a 2018. The first time was in the drive through. It did stop when I turned off the AC. I'll post my video as soon as I can locate it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:40 PM
tyc

For a while I was hearing it almost on a daily basis but it seems to be happening less now, or may I just don't notice it anymore. I mentioned it to my service rep(being serviced for the V15 recall), but I have doubts that they will be able to root cause it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page