2019 Pacifica Hybrid: Shuddering when engine turns off when stopped - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

2019 Pacifica Hybrid: Shuddering when engine turns off when stopped

Appreciate everyone's help getting me here, vehicle order/delivery was way faster than expected. I think I ordered January 9th and took delivery Feb 1st. We had a very standard variant (I'd seen two already come/go in the area).

Anyways, so far car is super awesome. I do have a new appreciation for all those that have complained about the engine turning on in cold weather, when you know it can run on electric and it's just 'turning on' because you have to defrost or run some minimal amount of heat, it's very frustrating . Spring is right around the corner at least.

Thus far transitioning between electric/gas has been fairly seamless, consistent with the initial test drives where I barely noticed anything. Where my question/concern is though: if I'm stopped at a light and the engine is running, then it turns off, the whole car shudders. The Ford Fusion Hybrid I have does not do that, but I can remember driving a prius rental and it was fairly substantial motion when the engine would turn off. So my question to other Hybrid owners, is that pretty normal to feel a decent shudder? Like I said, when it motion the transition is pretty seamless so not majorly concerned, just double checking.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Safety Tech
Tri-Pane Moonroof
Tire/Wheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Seems that way to me (and normal hopefully). I suspect that we are just sensitive beings-my wife doesn't even notice when ICE turns on and off...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:04 PM

While the sound of the engine when it kicks in is not turbine smooth or a pleasant rumble, I do not feel any shudder. You definitely hear it but I would not say it shudders.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphicar770 View Post
While the sound of the engine when it kicks in is not turbine smooth or a pleasant rumble, I do not feel any shudder. You definitely hear it but I would not say it shudders.
Right, this shudder is only felt when the car is stopped, the engine is running, and then the engine turns off. Any other instance (engine turning off while driving, engine turning on while stopped, or engine turning on while driving) there's no noticeable shudder.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Safety Tech
Tri-Pane Moonroof
Tire/Wheel
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 PM

I have been driving our 19 PacHy for a month and notice the same thing. When in motion-seamless. At a full stop. You can “feel” the engine kick off. We test drove a 18 and noticed the same at a complete stop. Brought it up to the sales rep and they said it was normal to “feel” that, (I’m also not convinced he wasn’t just trying to sell a car and would just say ehatever though)

I live in northern Michigan and it’s been so cold. I’m curious if the shudder has a different (hopefully less noticeable/nonexistent) feel in the warmer weather?

2019 PacHy Limited
Granite Crystal w/ S Pkg
Advanced Safety Tech Group
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 09:29 PM

Yes I get the shudder and I don't like it either. It's definitely something that needs refining.It's my biggest complaint, besides the constant on and off every few seconds while waiting for a light in either the cold or 0% battery.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L - ruby red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page