Driving Pacific in snow - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Driving Pacific in snow

I am considering getting a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid but am wondering how well it does in snow. I realize that has a lot to my driving ability but I have had many front wheel drive cars that did very well and currently have one that does not. I am interested in hearing from an owner with a PHEV Pacifica who has drive in snowy conditions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by star10 View Post
I am considering getting a 2019 Pacifica Hybrid but am wondering how well it does in snow. I realize that has a lot to my driving ability but I have had many front wheel drive cars that did very well and currently have one that does not. I am interested in hearing from an owner with a PHEV Pacifica who has drive in snowy conditions.
I have a gaser but and can tell you my 20" factory wheel and tires have been crap in the snow. Careful straight driving at a decent speed in the snow is doable but the van is so dang heavy that stopping or turning require allot of lead time to do it slowly and safely. I plan on getting Michelins when these tired get replaced - they have been the best all season tires I've ever had probably the only thing better would be to get actual snow tires. I have big industrial zip ties to put thru the rim and around the tire like a speedy cheap snow "chain" in the van to put on the tires if I'm ever in a crazy snow situation.
Bitslizer likes this.

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:24 PM

Performance in snow seems to have a lot more to do with what tires are on the vehicle than what vehicle it is.

2018 Limited Gas

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 PM

If you have regular snow, and/or cannot control when you must be on the roads - plan/budget for a set of dedicated snow tires/wheels.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:03 PM

Mine has been just fine this winter - I have 20" wheels and have had no issue with the snow storms here.
John

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaJohn View Post
Mine has been just fine this winter - I have 20" wheels and have had no issue with the snow storms here.
John
20" means nothing.
Which tires do you have on your van.
They are not all created equal.
Thanks.
dotbot and Cisco Arris like this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
20" means nothing.
Which tires do you have on your van.
They are not all created equal.
Thanks.

What ever came with it! They work just great for me!
John

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 08:46 PM

I've had 3 pacificas with 3 different OEM tires, and all have been awful in the snow/ice. Particularly the Nexens. They're horrid. And yes, I got winter tires.

Though all have been wonderful in dry/wet conditions.

2017 Gas Touring L, Curt hitch, 13" aftermarket overhead screen
2018 Limited PacHy, Curt hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
2019 Limited S PacHy, Drawtite hitch, Weathertech, B1W hardwired dashcam
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaJohn View Post
What ever came with it! They work just great for me!
John
Ok, Never mind then.
They come with many tires. You don't want to share? Fine.
Have a nice evening
Cisco Arris likes this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:29 PM

Our 19 PacHy came with Nexen’s. We live in northern Michigan and have been hammered with heavy snow. Extreme cold. Ice, slush, the entire winter spectrum. After the second storm. I had Cooper Discoverer True North tires put on. They were around $650 out the door. My local tire shop was great going through the options with us and these made the most sense given how we drive and where we drive most of the time. It was these vs the famed Blizzak winter tires and he said many customers were really happy with the Coopers and some who have driven on both preferred the Coopers newly designed tire, plus, at almost $300 cheaper they made sense with how we travel with our PacHy.

The handling, braking, and traction really improved and with the vehicle hitting over 5,000 lbs with passengers, you need good rubber as that is a lot of mass to move on an incline with ice and snow given we only have front wheel drive.

I know another PacHy owner-with a 2018 - which came with Michelin tires and he said traction is decent-we test drove an 18 and I feel it handled better on the Michelin tires, but weather wasn’t too bad during our test drive.

IMO, if you are looking at a new PacHy (especially a 19’ with Nexens), cold weather climate, winter tires are a must. Try to negotiate in your purchase. Or just make that part of the budget. The improved traction and breaking is well worth it considering the precious cargo we haul around in these vehicles. Good luck!
Bond007, dotbot and Lily like this.

2019 PacHy Limited
Granite Crystal w/ S Pkg
Advanced Safety Tech Group

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page