Would you purchase hybrid 2019? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Would you purchase hybrid 2019?

I really want to drive an EV and need 6+ seatbelts for four kids under 9. Pacifica hybrid and Tesla X are only options and I don't want to spend $80K when cheerios fall out of my car when I open the door. The U-73 engine fire recall does not give me piece of mind with precious cargo. So, given your experience as an hybrid owner, is this a car you'd buy again? Are the 2019 models safer than 2017, 2018 models?

Gratitude, Really rethinking my plan in Phoenix and appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:21 AM

As of 2000 miles, yes, would absolutely buy again.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 12:55 AM

I can’t beleive anyone is still considering purchasing this vehicle with all the serious recalls including the fires. I was also in the same boat really wanting to purchase an EV. Tesla is way out of my price range so I just decided on another regular gas minivan. It’s disapointing because the Pachy is an amazing package but there’s just too many issues.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
As of 2000 miles, yes, would absolutely buy again.
This.

Ultimately you have to make your own risk based evaluation. And as much as I would recommend the hybrid and have been a happy camper so far, I would be lying if the reports of fire don't leave me a little apprehensive. But take the statistics, do the calculation, visit other competition forums, make up your own mind. Life is risky, being an adult means making hard choices and living with the consequences.

Statistically speaking, we probably have 5% of 100,0000 yearly sales of the van being hybrid. Of the 5,000 there are about 1 post a month of fire related issues. So we're at about 10 cars suffering from fire a probability 0.2%. Now take that 90% of people with issues will probably never post here. So we're now at roughly 2% conservative estimate of Pacificas catching fire. Not insignificant for a mass produced car.

Last edited by Madbot; 02-14-2019 at 02:16 AM.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigm View Post
I really want to drive an EV and need 6+ seatbelts for four kids under 9. Pacifica hybrid and Tesla X are only options and I don't want to spend $80K when cheerios fall out of my car when I open the door. The U-73 engine fire recall does not give me piece of mind with precious cargo. So, given your experience as an hybrid owner, is this a car you'd buy again? Are the 2019 models safer than 2017, 2018 models?

Gratitude, Really rethinking my plan in Phoenix and appreciate any feedback!
I have had my 2018 PacHy for a little over a year now. I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I am retired and don't commute anywhere. But I still really really like it and yes I would buy it again. There currently is nothing else available like it.

I am also the starter of the main thread regarding the fiasco of the U73 recall and subsequent RRT 18-087 bulletin which turned into the U94 recall so I can tell you a bit about what happened. https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...-problems.html The short story is that the U73 recall was supposed to fix a very rare problem with the cruise control that applied to almost all FCA vehicles, not just the PacHy. Unfortunately Chrysler took the opportunity to slip in some other changes besides just the fix to the cruise control problem. One of those changes was to the PCM (Power Control Module). It turned out that the PCM software change included a bug that occurred infrequently when the van switched from all electric mode to hybrid mode. Sometimes during that switchover it would lose synchronization with the position of the crankshaft and this resulted in unburned fuel getting to the catalytic converter, which in turn caused the catalytic converters to overheat. Typically this caused the check engine light to come on and the van would shut down and lose power. I know of several reports of that here and on the Facebook PacHy group.

Now I call this a fiasco because Chrysler's first response was to publish a technical bulletin (RRT 18-087) which told dealers to inspect the catalytic converters for damage, replace them in necessary, and reprogram the PCM with updated software. This was all well and good except that lots of people didn't know about the bulletin, and this included many dealers. Meantime there were more reports of stalled vans, damaged catalytic converters, and in a very few cases some flames that fortunately did not spread beyond the engine compartment.

Finally, after several reports to the NHTSA and Transport Canada Chrysler converted their bulletin to a full safety recall (U94) and started mailing notices to people to bring their vans in to have their catalytic converters inspected and the PCM software updated. I think by now, in February 2019 they have probably got almost everybody patched up with the updated software. Vans built after August 2018 got the updated software at the factory and this includes all 2019s. So to answer one of your questions, yes the 2019s will be safer, plus they include a couple of extra features that were omitted from older vans such as power folding mirrors and memory seats.

As for absolute safety I don't have the data to prove it but I will say I am not worried. Let's say for the sake of argument that there are 20,000 PacHy's on the road. Based on my searches of the NHTSA database and reports on this forum I would say that there were maybe 20 near fires due to overheated catalytic converters. That puts the risk of catalytic converter overheating at 1 in a 1,000. Of those, I know of a couple of cases that resulted in flames but these were repairable.

There is also one very recent case where somebody's van was engulfed in flames despite having had the U94 recall work done. We may never know what caused that fire unless Chrysler or Transport Canada does a full inspection and makes the results public. It could be that there is still a problem with the PCM, but if so it is really rare because all of the other reports of overheated catalytic converters we had last summer have gone away. It could be that the dealer that did the U94 recall work skipped a step, but they will never admit to that. It could be something else entirely unrelated to the PCM software. Cars catch fire for all sorts of reasons, not just Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids.
snorth, 1tg1, arteitle and 5 others like this.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:13 AM

2018 with 12,000 miles. Yes I would buy again.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:01 AM

Garage
I have the hybrid Limited with just over 12,000 miles, and I love it. In fact, I have a friend with a late model Mercedes sedan, and my van is much nicer than the Mercedes! It's an absolute joy to drive, and has every possible creature comfort and technology bell and whistle you could want. Sure, I'd love to have a Tesla Model X instead, but for the price, you can't beat the Pacifica Hybrid Limited.

I waited a long time to do the cruise control recall after hearing the horror stories of fires, but now that it is done, I haven't noticed any problems or the loud fan noise during charging that some have reported. I just got back from a 5000-mile road trip to the California and Washington, and the van performed flawlessly. I was very disappointed when something hit my windshield while I was driving through Seattle and resulted in a very large crack, though. That's not a problem with the van, it's a problem with rocks flying off semi trucks.

In the last week I had a warranty replacement of the driver's side LED halo light strip. It would not stay on reliably, so they replaced it. I hope that doesn't happen again after it it out of warranty, since the part was over $600.

I don't miss the Stow & Go Seats of the gas version, and I don't care about power folding mirrors on the 2019 hybrid, either. The 2018 hybrid is perfect for me. I'd definitely buy the 2019 if I didn't already have the 2018 model.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:16 AM

2017 owner with 22,000 miles on mine. Yes, if something happened to mine then I'd replace it with another Pacifica Hybrid.

My husband has a Model S and we really like it, so I looked at the Model X but was disappointed in the lack of cargo space. I mainly test drove larger SUVs and minivans before settling on the Pacifica. So far it's been back to the dealer 4 times - 2 recall fixes and 2 minor warranty fixes (each took less than a day), and I've taken it on 8 road-trips. Between this Facebook group and the Pacific forum, I'm aware that a small fraction of owners have had very serious problems with their vehicles, but I don't worry when I'm driving mine... not even when I'm solo in the middle of a multi-state road trip.
Bond007 and mark like this.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:19 AM

Garage
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
I have had my 2018 PacHy for a little over a year now. I haven't put a lot of miles on it since I am retired and don't commute anywhere. But I still really really like it and yes I would buy it again. There currently is nothing else available like it.

I am also the starter of the main thread regarding the fiasco of the U73 recall and subsequent RRT 18-087 bulletin which turned into the U94 recall so I can tell you a bit about what happened. https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...-problems.html The short story is that the U73 recall was supposed to fix a very rare problem with the cruise control that applied to almost all FCA vehicles, not just the PacHy. Unfortunately Chrysler took the opportunity to slip in some other changes besides just the fix to the cruise control problem. One of those changes was to the PCM (Power Control Module). It turned out that the PCM software change included a bug that occurred infrequently when the van switched from all electric mode to hybrid mode. Sometimes during that switchover it would lose synchronization with the position of the crankshaft and this resulted in unburned fuel getting to the catalytic converter, which in turn caused the catalytic converters to overheat. Typically this caused the check engine light to come on and the van would shut down and lose power. I know of several reports of that here and on the Facebook PacHy group.

Now I call this a fiasco because Chrysler's first response was to publish a technical bulletin (RRT 18-087) which told dealers to inspect the catalytic converters for damage, replace them in necessary, and reprogram the PCM with updated software. This was all well and good except that lots of people didn't know about the bulletin, and this included many dealers. Meantime there were more reports of stalled vans, damaged catalytic converters, and in a very few cases some flames that fortunately did not spread beyond the engine compartment.

Finally, after several reports to the NHTSA and Transport Canada Chrysler converted their bulletin to a full safety recall (U94) and started mailing notices to people to bring their vans in to have their catalytic converters inspected and the PCM software updated. I think by now, in February 2019 they have probably got almost everybody patched up with the updated software. Vans built after August 2018 got the updated software at the factory and this includes all 2019s. So to answer one of your questions, yes the 2019s will be safer, plus they include a couple of extra features that were omitted from older vans such as power folding mirrors and memory seats.

As for absolute safety I don't have the data to prove it but I will say I am not worried. Let's say for the sake of argument that there are 20,000 PacHy's on the road. Based on my searches of the NHTSA database and reports on this forum I would say that there were maybe 20 near fires due to overheated catalytic converters. That puts the risk of catalytic converter overheating at 1 in a 1,000. Of those, I know of a couple of cases that resulted in flames but these were repairable.

There is also one very recent case where somebody's van was engulfed in flames despite having had the U94 recall work done. We may never know what caused that fire unless Chrysler or Transport Canada does a full inspection and makes the results public. It could be that there is still a problem with the PCM, but if so it is really rare because all of the other reports of overheated catalytic converters we had last summer have gone away. It could be that the dealer that did the U94 recall work skipped a step, but they will never admit to that. It could be something else entirely unrelated to the PCM software. Cars catch fire for all sorts of reasons, not just Chrysler Pacifica Hybrids.

YES I WOULD and yes I did. I had the 2018 which was built 12/2017 and had no problems at 5K miles and 4 months, also having had the 2 recall patches done, one before I bought it, and the U94 after I bought it.

The 2019 is a dream in the limited version with every option. I traded in to get the higher level after realizing I was hardly losing anything on the trade-in after $7500 rebate on federal taxes. Every new one you buy (each year?) you get an additional rebate on federal taxes.

As the above quoted poster said, likely only 1:1000 had any significant problem and only one outright fire recently that destroyed a van completely (the full story may be known in the future) for unknown reasons. I feel very safe with this van and highly recommend it. All the extras in the limited also contribute to this including tripane sunroof, reverse folding mirrors, memory seats, heated and cooled seating, NAV, safety tech suite (MY PERSONAL FAV!), quiet ride, comfort, amazing mileage for a van, built-in roof rails/rack, easy to navigate info screen in dash, $7,500 rebate, etc...
Some who don't have a hybrid plug-in have commented that they wouldn't want all the hassle of taking out and putting back chargers, and having to find chargers on the road, and all this to save just a few dollars. HOWEVER, if you are a PacHy owner, you know there is no need to charge on the road, you don't have a hassle on the plug-in cords (as you just leave it out and simply plug-in/unplug when getting in/out at home garage, and you save a LOT more than a few dollars with the first 30 miles at electric cost (I calculated 1/2 price of gas in my locale), and 50% better mileage in ICE mode compared to Odessey or Sienna or regular Pacifica types.

Do you need a limited for extra cost, no. Can you get by just fine with the Touring L 2018 closeouts available for around 38-40K at many dealers? Yes. After federal rebate, cost is just over 30K. Why not own it if you don't need stow n go?
Submitted for consideration
1tg1 and Bond007 like this.

Current happy owner/operator of 2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Previous happy owner of a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L, and before that a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, White with alloy intererior, Nav, safetytec, tri-pane sunroof, all weather mats/cargo liner for the Newfs. Enjoying multiple $7,500 EV rebates thanks to the tax code!
True odometer measured mileage on full charge = 30-34.
True average MPG on highway 30-33.
True range (ICE+EV) leaving at least 2 gallons in the 16.5 gallon tank = ~450 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madbot View Post
This.

Ultimately you have to make your own risk based evaluation. And as much as I would recommend the hybrid and have been a happy camper so far, I would be lying if the reports of fire don't leave me a little apprehensive. But take the statistics, do the calculation, visit other competition forums, make up your own mind. Life is risky, being an adult means making hard choices and living with the consequences.

Statistically speaking, we probably have 5% of 100,0000 yearly sales of the van being hybrid. Of the 5,000 there are about 1 post a month of fire related issues. So we're at about 10 cars suffering from fire a probability 0.2%. Now take that 90% of people with issues will probably never post here. So we're now at roughly 2% conservative estimate of Pacificas catching fire. Not insignificant for a mass produced car.
Show me evidence of 1 post a month of a vehicle catching fire. Seriously.

I've been on this forum since well before the vehicle launched and there is nowhere near that number of fires.
snorth, 1tg1, Bond007 and 1 others like this.

Tags
engine fire , hybrid , recalls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page