2017 PacHy gets Red Turtle and dies! - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2017 PacHy gets Red Turtle and dies!

I've been a happy owner of a 2017 Pacifica Hybrid since May 2017. Haven't had any real problems with it, and it has had every recall performed. Has just shy of 27,000 miles on it. This past Tuesday (19-Feb-2019) morning, I stopped along the way on my commute to work to fill the tank with gas. I also topped off the windshield wiper fluid. Headed back on my way to work (about 15 miles one-way commute). Within one mile from work, the "Check Engine" light suddenly pops on. I've had this happen plenty of times in the past after filling up the tank with gas. Figured I'd just have to pop the fuel flap and give it a good, solid closing again as I have done every time this has happened before. So, I thought nothing more of it and continued driving.

Then the red turtle "Limp Mode" symbol popped on followed by a message in the middle of my dash stating, "Vehicle Speed May Be Limited." That's alarming! I've never seen that before. Oddly, my speed was not limited at all, and I was able to get to work without anything bad happening. We have a Chargepoint L2 charger at work, and I thought maybe plugging it in and letting it fully charge until lunch would be enough to clear up whatever the problem is.

I went out to run a couple errands at lunch four hours later after it was fully charged. The "Check Engine" light, red turtle, and "Vehicle Speed" message all popped up again, but I was still able to drive. So, I headed out to do my errands. The weird thing was that my PacHy was driving in all-electric mode the whole time during my lunch errands. This is very odd especially during the very cold weather we've been having here in the Chicago area lately. Tuesday, it was only 14įF. In that cold weather, I can *never* get the ICE engine to shut off. It always wants to run no matter what. However, it wouldn't come on for anything while I was driving around at lunch. A couple times I stomped on the accelerator, which ALWAYS activates the ICE engine, and... nothing! This is how I knew something was definitely wrong. When I got back to my office, I made an appointment at my local Chrysler dealer for early the next morning. I told them I would drop it off that night (Tuesday) so they could have it all day Wednesday to do whatever was needed.

Tuesday night after work, I drove home to wait for my wife to get home from work so we could take the PacHy to the dealer. My van was still driving in all-electric mode and had plenty of charge left to get home and then to the dealership. About 2 miles from home, the van completely died even though I still had 15 miles left on the range-o-meter. I was on a very busy street, but was able to pull over to the side of the road and put my hazard lights on. I turned the van off, waited 30 seconds, and then turned it back on. All the same MILs popped back on, but I was able to start driving again... for a bit. I drove about 40-50 feet and the van died again! It took about 2-3 repetitions of turning off/on before I was able to move far enough to turn the van off onto a side road to get it out of the heavy traffic.

I ended up calling a tow company. They came with a flatbed tow truck and towed my van to the local Chrysler dealer. It was after hours. So, I filled out the key-drop envelope and left my FOB with the service department. The next morning, a service manager named Christian called me to get more details on what all had happened. He explained that they were very short-staffed that day, and he needed to call in a hybrid technician before anyone could look at my van. He said it probably wouldn't get looked at until Thursday and hoped to have a resolution by no later than Friday.

I called and left a voicemail with the service department on Thursday to see if they had any updates. I also texted them. No response. I called and texted again this morning (Friday) and was told they would have Christian call me back soon. I called back again at 3:30 pm this afternoon and finally got a hold of someone.

They told me that all kinds of error codes are popping up on my van. Their hybrid technician has been having a difficult time narrowing it down. They have opened a STAR case with Chrysler, and Chrysler's engineers will be working with them to figure it all out. Right now, my van is on their charger so they can charge it up enough to continue working through all the diagnostic codes and testing. They said with as many codes that are popping up, and with the Chrysler engineers getting involved, it's definitely going to take a few more days. They are putting aside a loaner car for me, probably another Pacifica, that I can pick up tonight or tomorrow.

That's where it's at for now. I'll post back once I get more info. Who else has had similar experiences with their PacHy? What ended up being the resolution?
1tg1 likes this.

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE ("The Meepster")
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Platinum ("Vanna White") ***Dead at dealership since 19-FEB-2019***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Oops. Sorry to hear about your experience. Hope you will get everything cleared up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #3 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Please update us when there is news.

Current happy owner/operator of 2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited. Previous happy owner of a 2018 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L, and before that a Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.
2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, White with alloy intererior, Nav, safetytec, tri-pane sunroof, all weather mats/cargo liner for the Newfs. Enjoying multiple $7,500 EV rebates thanks to the tax code!
True odometer measured mileage on full charge = 30-34.
True average MPG on highway 30-33.
True range (ICE+EV) leaving at least 2 gallons in the 16.5 gallon tank = ~450 miles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 10:41 AM

I'll put on my fortune teller hat and predict that it will turn out to be the battery coolant heater connector. There is/was a bulletin for 2017s and early 2018s manufactured before November 2017 that called for replacement of this connector. The pins were subject to corrosion, especially in cold slushy weather. If the connector fails then you get the check engine light. It is possible that the red turtle and the ultimate failure resulted from a cold battery, although I am puzzled about the ICE not coming on. I would have thought that would be the first line of defense against a cold battery -- run the ICE and let it warm the battery.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #5 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:58 PM

Somewhat similar experience

I've learned a lot from the contributors to this forum, thanks everyone. I love this vehicle when it runs, really nice. Here are my experiences so far. My vehicle is a 2018 Pacifica hybrid Limited. manufactured (as near as I can tell) in January of 2018 (four digits on the Monroney). On 6July18 I took it in for the U73 recall. Then on 9Nov18 I took it in for the U94 recall. On November 19th I was driving in town and as I was pulling away from a stop sign the car died and I had to pull to the side of the road. It was towed to the dealership. The dealership where I bought it put in a new PIM. It was OOS for 17 days.
Got the car back but on Jan 10th it died again under similar circumstances. Check engine light came on but I was eventually able to restart it and drove it to the dealership again with the check engine light still on. The dealership cleaned the terminals(?), cleared the codes and drove it, they said they had no problems. They returned it to me after a day OOS.
On Jan 27 the vehicle died in town again. I was able to restart it, but then it died again after restarting again, I drove it home and had it towed to the dealership the next day (Monday). They've had it since and are replacing the transmission. Chrysler Star cases for the PIM and now for the transmission. Starting to lose faith!
1tg1 likes this.
post #6 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookshot1 View Post
Starting to lose faith!
An understatment.
1tg1 likes this.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #7 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
I'll put on my fortune teller hat and predict that it will turn out to be the battery coolant heater connector. There is/was a bulletin for 2017s and early 2018s manufactured before November 2017 that called for replacement of this connector. The pins were subject to corrosion, especially in cold slushy weather. If the connector fails then you get the check engine light. It is possible that the red turtle and the ultimate failure resulted from a cold battery, although I am puzzled about the ICE not coming on. I would have thought that would be the first line of defense against a cold battery -- run the ICE and let it warm the battery.
@AZBean , could you post the bulletin number? I can text it to the service manager assigned to my case. Maybe that would help them work through the possible issues more quickly. I'd be happy if it was that simple and easy. But just as you were confused, the ICE dying and not coming back on is also throwing me for a loop.

I picked up my loaner vehicle on Saturday. They had originally told me it would likely be another Pacifica, but they ended up giving my a 2019 Jeep Cherokee. Can I just say... "Meh." I'm not thrilled with the Cherokee. It's definitely making me miss my PacHy. The *ONLY* thing I like about it is that the Uconnect system has Apple CarPlay, which I didn't even realize until I plugged my iPhone into the USB outlet this morning, and the CarPlay menu popped up. OMG! I love it! Now I am even more upset that Chrysler did not include CarPlay in the 2017 model!!!
post #8 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post
@AZBean , could you post the bulletin number? I can text it to the service manager assigned to my case. Maybe that would help them work through the possible issues more quickly. I'd be happy if it was that simple and easy. But just as you were confused, the ICE dying and not coming back on is also throwing me for a loop.
The bulletin is 08-034-18 or RRT 18-026. I found the picture of the first page, but couldn't find the whole document.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RRT 18-026.jpg (164.1 KB, 41 views)

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #9 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:08 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
The bulletin is 08-034-18 or RRT 18-026. I found the picture of the first page, but couldn't find the whole document.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yk4vrd8uo2...ecall.pdf?dl=0
AZBean likes this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

post #10 of 65 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 04:59 PM
Rus

I didn't have Carplay on my 2016 Kia when I first purchased it either but they put out a software update that added it a month later. I believe it cost me a little over $200 but it made things so much nicer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page