Charge Port Cover & Snow - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Charge Port Cover & Snow

We don't have a place to keep our van inside so it sits outside at night. When we're charging snow/ice can get inside the charging area because the door (obviously) is open.
This has led to us being unable to close the charging cover (hopefully whatever is blocking it from closing will thaw out sometime in May).

I have tried a couple of homemade port covers, but nothing I can make can really seal that area off from the elements.

Anyone else having these issues and how are you dealing with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:17 PM

I’ve never had a issue but you can spray some wd40 lubricant on the surface once the head is hooked up to the port.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:01 PM

Yes, we're the same with parking outside and yes it has been an issue at times over 2 winters.

In freezing rain or if it's forecast we now don't charge - not worth the battle. That's the worst as it gums up the area inside the charge port where the hing goes and it's all plastic...

If it's just snow it hasn't been a huge issue. We get in there and dig it out with a finger before closing if we have to.

Sometimes when something is built up a little in there and we can't dig it out easy we will close the flap but not force it to latch all the way just so we can get on our way. That hasn't caused an issue yet.

I'm on the lookout for a commercially available cover. I saw one somewhere when cruising the interwebs but forgot where. I will be trying to hunt it down again.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:48 PM

I found this product:
https://ecosolaris.com/en/produit/ec...rt-protection/

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 08:10 PM

With some careful planning (charge early) and cleaning, we haven't had a ton of issues with the door. But I did leave for a week and my in-laws mentioned this was a problem. So without some consideration, yeah you could have problems closing the flap. Or worst removing the connector. I've heard people using old golf club covers, and I thought about buying a snowmobile handle bar muffs. But I've been okay so far
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 03:46 AM

A bucket of hot water clears it instantly.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Touring L - ruby red

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 03:48 PM

I also experiencing snow getting trapped inside charging port and the flap couldn't close because of that. I bought this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chrysler-Pac...72.m2749.l2649

Not bad, but not completely sealed.

You could also stuff a hand cloth inside the port once the connector is plugged and it's gonna prevent snow from getting inside the port.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fmjammo View Post
I also experiencing snow getting trapped inside charging port and the flap couldn't close because of that. I bought this: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Chrysler-Pac...72.m2749.l2649

Not bad, but not completely sealed.

You could also stuff a hand cloth inside the port once the connector is plugged and it's gonna prevent snow from getting inside the port.
That's the cover I had seen and couldn't remember where. I intend to try that one

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page