Another charging issue. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Another charging issue.

I've been having intermittent charging problems for quite some time. When plugged the van doesn't start charging, I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get the charging started. It happened on all kinds of chargers, so I know that the problem is in the van. It may happen daily or not happen for a couple of weeks. Of course I could never show it to the dealer.
This month another problem popped up. I can start charging, it works, but in a couple of minutes it stops. When I open the driver's door, the instrument panel says "waiting to charge on the schedule". When I close the door the charging resumes. Needless to say, the schedule is not enabled. Unplugging and plugging back also resumes the charging.

The van is almost year and a half old. Why would a software bug show up just now?
Any tips on how to make the dealer take this intermittent problem seriously? This new problem is worse than the original one because it stops charging after I leave thinking that the van is charging only to find it with a half or less charge.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
I've been having intermittent charging problems for quite some time. When plugged the van doesn't start charging, I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get the charging started. It happened on all kinds of chargers, so I know that the problem is in the van. It may happen daily or not happen for a couple of weeks. Of course I could never show it to the dealer.
This month another problem popped up. I can start charging, it works, but in a couple of minutes it stops. When I open the driver's door, the instrument panel says "waiting to charge on the schedule". When I close the door the charging resumes. Needless to say, the schedule is not enabled. Unplugging and plugging back also resumes the charging.

The van is almost year and a half old. Why would a software bug show up just now?
Any tips on how to make the dealer take this intermittent problem seriously? This new problem is worse than the original one because it stops charging after I leave thinking that the van is charging only to find it with a half or less charge.
Switch to DST? I know, itís a long shot...

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDave View Post
Switch to DST? I know, itís a long shot...
Actually a good suggestion. The software driving the car is complex and the time change can have far reaching consequences. But I saw this problem right before the switch to DST.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Actually a good suggestion. The software driving the car is complex and the time change can have far reaching consequences. But I saw this problem right before the switch to DST.
Wondering if there’s a way to do a reset on the UConnect and/or any other pertinent system. Pull a fuse and then re-install? Might be worth a try.

post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That could help. Although I had my 12V battery replaced in February, and this glitch appeared shortly thereafter.

post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 11:38 PM

Quote:
That could help. Although I had my 12V battery replaced in February, and this glitch appeared shortly thereafter.
Some shops keep power on the battery cables while swapping batteries so as to not cause certain electronic things to lose their settings (like pre-programmed stations on your car radio). Do you think they might have done that with yours?
Frig likes this.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The mechanic never mentioned it, so who knows. The van doesn't lose the radio presets, and the clock is synced to GPS, so it is hard to tell. I'll try disconnecting the battery, maybe it will help.

Am I the only one with the similar charging problems? Software bugs are seldom limited to single units. I'm starting to think that my van is cursed.

post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
The mechanic never mentioned it, so who knows. The van doesn't lose the radio presets, and the clock is synced to GPS, so it is hard to tell. I'll try disconnecting the battery, maybe it will help.

Am I the only one with the similar charging problems? Software bugs are seldom limited to single units. I'm starting to think that my van is cursed.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like it is an intermittent bad contact in the charging port, not a bug. The "waiting to charge on schedule" message can be triggered either by the van's own scheduling or by the external EVSE's scheduling. In my case, with a ChargePoint EVSE the scheduling occurs on the EVSE and if you plug in during the EVSE's non-scheduled hours the van knows that it has to be patient and wait for the EVSE to supply power and does not pop up with a message to check the external charging system. You might try using a canned air duster to blow air down the holes of the charging port -- maybe it will be able to blow some dirt out. Or you could try a q-tip with some alcohol. I think that would be safe as long as the van is off and the high voltage contactors are not closed. To be absolutely certain of that you could lift the carpet under the second row and pull the main disconnect that is under the floor.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for the suggestion, but it doesn't match what I see. If the EVSE is set to charge at a schedule, the van doesn't see that it is plugged at all. It certainly doesn't pop the "waiting to charge on schedule" message, it has no way of knowing what is going on in the EVSE.
When the van is plugged in, but not charging, the EVSE shows status as "connected", so the van interacts with the pilot signal and the connection is good. The bad connection theory also doesn't explain why the charging starts after the driver's door is opened and closed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page