Electrician - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Wdp

Electrician

I that it was recommended to have an electrician come to the house to check the wiring for charging. I rent, is that really necessary? I’m not sure I want to pay or ask the owner unless it is necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdp View Post
I that it was recommended to have an electrician come to the house to check the wiring for charging. I rent, is that really necessary? I’m not sure I want to pay or ask the owner unless it is necessary.
From the little I have seen a standard 20 amp outlet should be fine, I think I seen one post it was like 12-13 amps at 120 volts? That like plugging in an electric heater. Ultimately an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:16 PM

Garage
Make sure that the outlet is tight and check for overheating by touching the plug frequently during the first our hour of charging.
PacDave likes this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
From the little I have seen a standard 20 amp outlet should be fine, I think I seen one post it was like 12-13 amps at 120 volts? That like plugging in an electric heater. Ultimately an once of prevention is worth a pound of cure
A 20 amp outlet is the one with the sideways 'T' slot. While it would be plenty for the charger, I don't know if many residential apartments come with 20 amp outlets.

I would think the much more common, standard 15 amp outlet (two solid vertical slots) would suffice, as well, so long as the overall wiring/breakers are correct.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
A 20 amp outlet is the one with the sideways 'T' slot. While it would be plenty for the charger, I don't know if many residential apartments come with 20 amp outlets.
There are millions of 15 amp receptacles (outlets) on 12 gauge, 20 amp circuits. My home, built in 1968, is full of them. All installed by a licensed electrician, signed off by the city inspector.
The only way to really tell is to look at the breaker/fuse box, and even that is no sure thing.

2018 Limited Gas
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 10:48 PM

I think it all depends upon your panel, charger and if your going to future proof the nema plug or hard wire it . I’d personally installed a 50 amp outlet for my juice box pro 40 . The lesser the amps the longer the charge rate and the least effective the charge will be ( loss of electricity due toe the charging rate / time ) . You could possibly do all the cable running yourself and just have a electrician come and hook up the breaker to panel and the outlet box if stour doing a plug instead of hardwiring it . It’s teally not that hard a project at all , check YouTube for videos or the old forums on here . A little bit of homework saves you time, hassle and grief down the road .
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:54 PM

Until I finish up with installing a 240v receptacle for my Clipper Creek charger, the 15A receptacle is working fine although it takes 14 hours to charge a depleted battery.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, granite crystal
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Honda Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:09 PM

If you have access to a dryer outlet (230v) the charger that comes with the car will work on 230v and charge twice as fast. There are posts about this aand how to make an adapter cable.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:26 AM

I don't think there is any need of an electrician for your problem.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryCallum View Post
I don't think there is any need of an electrician for your problem.
Agreed. Any outlet and the wires leading to it should be protected by a fuse or circuit breaker. Your PacHy will draw less current than a 1875-watt hair dryer.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page