Sunroof Thoughts? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 56Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

Sunroof Thoughts?

I'm closing in on picking up a '19 Hybrid Limited. I pretty much know what I want on it, but have some questions about the sunroof.

When I've driven one with the sunroof, I thought it was a bit far back for the driver and front passenger to really get much out of it. As a driver, do you enjoy the sunroof much?

For those that have spent some time with and without sunroofs on Pacificas, do you notice much of difference in the experience? Sounds levels?

Would you get the sunroof again?

Any thoughts or things to consider would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:56 AM

I love the sunroof.

I also thought it was a bit far back as well at first but now I realize I hadn't thought that since purchase until you brought it up. So it didn't bug me LOL.

The BIGGEST difference is the light source with the 3 sunroofs. It opens up the cabin sizably and with light coming from the top, its a very different feel visually.

Its literally a HUGE visual difference in that context.

Otherwise its a sunroof. If you like and use them, its great. I'm over a year now and I used it twice today. Plus being able to do the partial vent is really nice to air out fast food smells or smoke- I use that often for both.

Its not too loud, the wind break works well, and I haven't had a single issue... (knock on wood LOL)

But I'll say my last van was a Toyota. Bought new, kept for 15 years. No sunroof.

It was the ONLY thing I regretted about that purchase. The entire time... So I knew this time I REALLY wanted one LOL.

If you are like most people- they grow tired of the sunroof relatively quickly and while they enjoy it, don't really use it. More a ceiling window than open hole.

But as far as sunroofs go? Its really really nice!
RC Mike likes this.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 03:22 AM

We, too, have the sunroof and love it. But it's true, I think it's most beneficiary for the passengers in row 2, at least as far as views go. For the rest (light, air), it's great for everyone in the car. I haven't driven a Pacifica without the roof, but I can imagine that the cabin noise is lower without since a) it's glass, b) the sunshade is really just thin fabric and c) the roof obviously has more gaps perpendicular to the driving direction which adds air resistance and therefor noise. Another drawback is that it doesn't open up very much, and I've seen much better solutions (for example with the french car makers where the panoramic sunroof basically 'is' the roof of the car and not just an insert. Still worth having it, I wouldn't want a car without.
RC Mike likes this.

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:54 AM

One of the things I miss from our 14 town And country is the ability to open the rear windows. I always used it to quickly get the greenhouse air out of the van. The sunroof helps with that. Having said that I’m not sure I would miss it if I didn’t have it. It looks nice but I don’t really use it much and it adds a risk of leaks.
RC Mike likes this.
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 AM

To add to your buying confusion, I specifically traveled quite a bit to get a limited without a sunroof, soooooo happy I did; super quiet, comfy, more headroom, cheaper, zero risk of leakage, breakage etc. To each his own. Į\_(ツ)_/Į
RC Mike likes this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 07:59 AM

I like the sunroof, but I didnít get it! I live in south central Texas and didnít want the additional heat load during the hot, sunny simmer months. As well, every glass sunroof on every brand of car Iíve ever driven added some wind noise at highway speeds. So I think it depends on what trade offs work for you. In Seattle - definitely yes. In the south, maybe not so much.
RC Mike likes this.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:08 AM

It's okay, but that's about it. My biggest beef is the price. Originally, it was a $1495 option, but now it's up to $1795. That's pretty salty for what you get. And I would imagine it doesn't help with fuel economy, either, since it's surely heavier than a steel roof. And it does sit back quite a bit, as well, to keep the array of power control buttons/courtesy lights in the header.

But, then, you do get the benefit of dual seat DVD screens instead of the solitary, roof drop-down screen. That, alone, could be a major plus for second row passengers who want to watch their own, individual videos.

Frankily, I wish FCA had went the route of the third generation Prius and incorporated a solar panel into the roof which powered an exhaust fan to cool the interior down a bit so the A/C didn't have to work so hard on initial start-up on hot days. For what they want for the big sunroof, it sure would have been nice. It's kind of like the omission of power folding mirrors; really kind of tacky to not have it on the highest trim models (at least for the '17-'18 years).

It's worth noting that the Prius' solar panel sunroof was only available through that one model cycle and is no longer an option.
stop-eject and RC Mike like this.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 AM

I love it. I don't think I've ever opened it, but I always have the shade open, and to have a giant window to the sky is pretty amazing. Also, the third row gets their own little sun window. Ours is the S package, black on black so if we didn't have the tri-pane sunroof, it'd be a dark cavern in there.
RC Mike likes this.

2019 Pacifica S Hybrid Limited - Brilliant Black, all options
2016 Dodge// Charger R/T Scat Pack - B5 Blue
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:22 AM

I travel to bluegrass festivals. I pick a banjo.
I put a mattress in the back, and sleep in it with an open view of the stars...priceless.
If it is lightning a lot I close it...beautiful.
RC Mike likes this.

2017 Limited Tuskwhite, built July 17, 2017, 5PM
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
It's okay, but that's about it. My biggest beef is the price. Originally, it was a $1495 option, but now it's up to $1795. That's pretty salty for what you get. And I would imagine it doesn't help with fuel economy, either, since it's surely heavier than a steel roof. And it does sit back quite a bit, as well, to keep the array of power control buttons/courtesy lights in the header.
In the winter I open the sunroof shade to allow ďsolarĒ heating of the cabin which actually does improve fuel economy - compared to keeping it closed and allowing the heater to do the work.

Solar energy density is lower in the winter but still 200W/m2 isnít shabby and with a black interior it takes the edge off nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
But, then, you do get the benefit of dual seat DVD screens instead of the solitary, roof drop-down screen. That, alone, could be a major plus for second row passengers who want to watch their own, individual videos.

Frankily, I wish FCA had went the route of the third generation Prius and incorporated a solar panel into the roof which powered an exhaust fan to cool the interior down a bit so the A/C didn't have to work so hard on initial start-up on hot days. For what they want for the big sunroof, it sure would have been nice. It's kind of like the omission of power folding mirrors; really kind of tacky to not have it on the highest trim models (at least for the '17-'18 years).

It's worth noting that the Prius' solar panel sunroof was only available through that one model cycle and is no longer an option.
I worked out what the benefit would be for someone once. With the entire roof surface utilized with current solar panel tech it would yield very close to 1kW in direct sun.

Would offset AC once the temperature setting is achieved, but really isnít enough to change the world.

Just sounds cool.
RC Mike likes this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page