Flooding weather - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 27Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Wdp

Flooding weather

I was wondering how the Pachy does during flood season?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:30 AM

Drive it into water that is deep enough, it turns into an electric water heater.
Bond007, DoninDel and Van Go like this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wdp View Post
If this is a serious question, stop driving. Turn in your license. Please. Save your own life and the lives of your passengers.

Never drive into flood water. With anything. Ever. If you can't see the ground, you don't know it's still there.

Flood water washes away roads. Then your car gets very floaty.

TheWiseOne and froglips like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:14 PM

At least you HOPE it gets floaty.

2018 Limited Gas
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter
Wdp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpyMjolnir View Post
If this is a serious question, stop driving. Turn in your license. Please. Save your own life and the lives of your passengers.

Never drive into flood water. With anything. Ever. If you can't see the ground, you don't know it's still there.

Flood water washes away roads. Then your car gets very floaty.
Itís a legitimate question. We get flash floods here. Often times when already out driving. I know not to drive through deep water. I want to know if the batteries will be effected. I need to understand that the purchase that I want to make is the right one for my family.

Pacifica shopping
2018 Jeep Cherokee
2011 Chrysler T&C
2004 Saturn Vue
2005 Dodge Caravan
1996 Suzuki Wagon-R
1992 Nissan Quest
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM

If that is the case, good luck with your decision.
froglips likes this.

2018 Limited Gas
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Itís a legitimate question. We get flash floods here. Often times when already out driving. I know not to drive through deep water. I want to know if the batteries will be effected. I need to understand that the purchase that I want to make is the right one for my family.
My man, no disrespect, but it's not a legitimate question. There is nowhere you need to be so bad that it justifies driving thorugh flood water. Nowhere. Go around. Go somewhere else. Don't drive thorugh flood water. The right choice for your family is to not drive into flood water. That is independent of whatever vehicle you choose.

In general, the batteries and drivetrain components of any vehicle are incredibly robust and waterproofed (resistant) against splashing, puddles, etc. This includes electric vehicles of all kinds. Lithium batteries and water are mortal enemies. The battery should be sealed from water intrusion, but seeing what the reaction of lithium and water looks like, I wouldn't put myself in the position of becoming stalled in water with submerged batteries.

I've been handling insurance claims for 15 years now. I'm incredibly risk averse. Your personal tolerance for washed out roads, cars floating away, people drowning, submerged lithium batteries exploding, or drowning and burning at the same time may be much higher than mine.

I've seen the pictures. I've talked to the families. I listened to a mother cry for nearly 45 minutes after telling me about when she unbuckled the lifeless body of her daughter from the car seat. She really thought it wasn't that deep and she could make it through. She was so close to home, and her daughter was tired.

If you can't see the bottom, you don't know how deep it is.
Bond007, Waldo, m0ebius604 and 3 others like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 11:16 AM

Flooding weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScorpyMjolnir View Post
My man, no disrespect, but it's not a legitimate question. There is nowhere you need to be so bad that it justifies driving thorugh flood water. Nowhere. Go around. Go somewhere else. Don't drive thorugh flood water. The right choice for your family is to not drive into flood water. That is independent of whatever vehicle you choose.

In general, the batteries and drivetrain components of any vehicle are incredibly robust and waterproofed (resistant) against splashing, puddles, etc. This includes electric vehicles of all kinds. Lithium batteries and water are mortal enemies. The battery should be sealed from water intrusion, but seeing what the reaction of lithium and water looks like, I wouldn't put myself in the position of becoming stalled in water with submerged batteries.

I've been handling insurance claims for 15 years now. I'm incredibly risk averse. Your personal tolerance for washed out roads, cars floating away, people drowning, submerged lithium batteries exploding, or drowning and burning at the same time may be much higher than mine.

I've seen the pictures. I've talked to the families. I listened to a mother cry for nearly 45 minutes after telling me about when she unbuckled the lifeless body of her daughter from the car seat. She really thought it wasn't that deep and she could make it through. She was so close to home, and her daughter was tired.

If you can't see the bottom, you don't know how deep it is.

Absolutely correct. All cars are meant to be driven on roads where you can see the bottom, boats and hovercrafts not so much.
Having said that if you find that you are returning to see your parked Pachy now in deep water more than a foot, then I would not even approach it, forget about attempting to start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

Last edited by Bond007; 03-22-2019 at 11:19 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:00 PM

No more of a legitimate question than one from Kansas or Oklahoma asking: "How would a Pachy do in a tornado?"
From Florida: "How would a Pachy do in a Hurricane, parked under a tree?"

2018 Limited Gas
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 12:29 PM

Garage
Quote:
A boat is probably much better in deep water!

2018 Pacifica Touring Plus "S" 20" wheels.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page