Service Hybrid Electrical System - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
dadspacifica2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 28
Service Hybrid Electrical System

We bought a 2019 Pachy and took delivery on Oct. 30, 2018. I didn't drive it much over the winter from **** that we had, wanted to keep it out of the snow and salt for at least one winter. I did drive it at least once a week to keep things moving and run gas thru the van.
As you can see in the attached pic, it now has 1040 miles on it. About a week ago I received that red wrench from **** message. It says Service Hybrid Electrical Vehicle System, a pretty vague message, kind of like you get on your computer when it says an error has occurred.
I had noticed what I thought was some issue going on with it, as about 3 weeks ago, after I drove it when I got back the charge was at the <1%, so like usual I plugged it in. I'm just using the standard 110 volt charger that comes with the van. It usually takes about 14 hours to charge like it says it will. This time I looked in the garage before going to bed and noticed that none of the charging lights on the dash were on, so I checked and it said it was at 100% charge. I thought that was strange as it can't charge that fast.
A few days later I drove it and noticed that on a 3 mile trip the charge level when I got home was 46%, that didn't seem right. Again I plugged it in and barely over an hour it said it was at 100%. I should have just called for service then but it did throw an error code yet, at least not on the dash.
I called and scheduled an appointment for service and that was yesterday, 03/21. I dropped it off in the morning early, and spoke with them about 5 pm last night. I think they are having some trouble figuring out the cause. They said there were 2 software updates for it so they did those but they also suspect the big battery pack. They wanted to charge it on their 220 charging system overnight and test drive it this morning. I spoke to them a bit ago and they were about to do that and said they would call me around 11 today, Friday, 03/22. I'm waiting and worrying about what they might say.
I kind of have mixed feelings about the van. I love Chrysler vans and have had one since 1987, but to have this issue so soon after purchase concerns me. At least mine was always drivable, unlike someone else's here I saw that had to be towed. I also have had a Prius since 2000 and now a Rav4 Hybrid. I do remember on the 2001 Prius they had to do chip upgrades back in those days, apparently couldn't flash upgrade the chips on those, but that was about it.
So when I do get the call regarding the status, are there any questions or comments I should tell the service department? Especially if they tell me the HV battery is bad.
Thanks for all the knowledge and input you people provide.

Update: I originally posted this in the Service section and decided maybe that was the wrong place. I hope it's ok to post here. Can I delete the other post in the Service section? If not I will update it and point to this one. Sorry for the mess.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190316_120429.jpg (127.3 KB, 30 views)

2019 Pacifica Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
Trailer-Tow Group
20 inch wheels
Inflatable Spare-Delete Vacuum
dadspacifica2019 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
dadspacifica2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 28
They did call back on Friday and said they were working with Chrysler on the issue. They drove it and the charge would be down to <1% in less than 10 miles. I have a loaner for the weekend.
They will call on Monday and give me an update.
I was sure hoping when I bought this 2019 that the issues I have seen on here for previous model years would have been fixed by now, but it seems like they are still with Chrysler, at least mine has some issue. I am sure hoping they can get a good diagnosis from some logs they can view and get this problem solved for everyone.
Thanks for listening.

2019 Pacifica Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
Trailer-Tow Group
20 inch wheels
Inflatable Spare-Delete Vacuum
dadspacifica2019 is online now  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
dadspacifica2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 28
The service advisor at the local dealer called again today to update me on the status. They are still in talks with Chrysler people and it sounds like Chrysler is making them jump thru hoops to prove that it is the HV batteries that are bad. They don't seem to hold a charge, and I think the local service guy thinks it is the batteries. They told me they have replaced them in 2 vans in the past year. So I am waiting to see what happens next. If nothing happens in a couple days, I'll probably tell them they can keep it as I'm really losing faith in the Pachy, even though I really do like the it. I see someone else said they had their 2019 batteries fail at 2,000 miles in only 3 months.
Does anyone know how long it takes to replace the batteries, if that is what they end up doing? How long for the local dealer to get the batteries and then is that a day long or more of time to take out the old ones and replace it with new?
Thanks for any advice.

2019 Pacifica Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
Trailer-Tow Group
20 inch wheels
Inflatable Spare-Delete Vacuum
dadspacifica2019 is online now  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 1,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadspacifica2019 View Post
We bought a 2019 Pachy and took delivery on Oct. 30, 2018. I didn't drive it much over the winter from **** that we had, wanted to keep it out of the snow and salt for at least one winter. I did drive it at least once a week to keep things moving and run gas thru the van.
As you can see in the attached pic, it now has 1040 miles on it. About a week ago I received that red wrench from **** message. It says Service Hybrid Electrical Vehicle System, a pretty vague message, kind of like you get on your computer when it says an error has occurred.
I had noticed what I thought was some issue going on with it, as about 3 weeks ago, after I drove it when I got back the charge was at the <1%, so like usual I plugged it in. I'm just using the standard 110 volt charger that comes with the van. It usually takes about 14 hours to charge like it says it will. This time I looked in the garage before going to bed and noticed that none of the charging lights on the dash were on, so I checked and it said it was at 100% charge. I thought that was strange as it can't charge that fast.
A few days later I drove it and noticed that on a 3 mile trip the charge level when I got home was 46%, that didn't seem right. Again I plugged it in and barely over an hour it said it was at 100%. I should have just called for service then but it did throw an error code yet, at least not on the dash.
I called and scheduled an appointment for service and that was yesterday, 03/21. I dropped it off in the morning early, and spoke with them about 5 pm last night. I think they are having some trouble figuring out the cause. They said there were 2 software updates for it so they did those but they also suspect the big battery pack. They wanted to charge it on their 220 charging system overnight and test drive it this morning. I spoke to them a bit ago and they were about to do that and said they would call me around 11 today, Friday, 03/22. I'm waiting and worrying about what they might say.
I kind of have mixed feelings about the van. I love Chrysler vans and have had one since 1987, but to have this issue so soon after purchase concerns me. At least mine was always drivable, unlike someone else's here I saw that had to be towed. I also have had a Prius since 2000 and now a Rav4 Hybrid. I do remember on the 2001 Prius they had to do chip upgrades back in those days, apparently couldn't flash upgrade the chips on those, but that was about it.
So when I do get the call regarding the status, are there any questions or comments I should tell the service department? Especially if they tell me the HV battery is bad.
Thanks for all the knowledge and input you people provide.

Update: I originally posted this in the Service section and decided maybe that was the wrong place. I hope it's ok to post here. Can I delete the other post in the Service section? If not I will update it and point to this one. Sorry for the mess.
Hi dadspacifica2019,
We are sorry to hear that you have experienced this. If you would like any additional assistance while your Pacifica Hybrid is at the dealer, please send us a private message!
Alex
Chrysler Social Care Specialist
ChryslerCares is online now  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
dadspacifica2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 28
I did PM ChryslerCares. Thanks for any help.

2019 Pacifica Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
Trailer-Tow Group
20 inch wheels
Inflatable Spare-Delete Vacuum
dadspacifica2019 is online now  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
dadspacifica2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 28
I did receive a call from the local dealer service today and they said Chrysler approved the replacement of HV batteries in the van. Thank you to @ChryslerCares for escalating my issue. They did reply quickly and certainly got my issued escalated in less than a day. No date when the batteries might arrive yet, but I hope they hear sometime this week.

2019 Pacifica Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
Trailer-Tow Group
20 inch wheels
Inflatable Spare-Delete Vacuum
dadspacifica2019 is online now  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
dadspacifica2019's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Iowa
Posts: 28
I received a call Friday, 03/29, from the dealer and they have a ship date from Chrysler for the batteries of 04/08/2019. So I suspect it will be a week after that by the time the batteries arrive and then get installed and checked out.

2019 Pacifica Limited
Advanced SafetyTec Group
Uconnect Theater with Wireless Streaming
Trailer-Tow Group
20 inch wheels
Inflatable Spare-Delete Vacuum
dadspacifica2019 is online now  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 79
We traded our absolutely trouble free Camry Hybrid for the Pacifica Hybrid. In 6 years of forum following on the Camry, I can't remember a single time when a high voltage battery was replaced. It may well have happened and the people that it happened to didn't post about it but it would appear that Chrysler has their work cut out for them to come close to Toyota's reliability based on the number of HV batteries mentioned in this forum.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, granite crystal
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Honda Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
mainesail is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 07:24 PM
Senior Member
 
stop-eject's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: MD
Posts: 1,620
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
We traded our absolutely trouble free Camry Hybrid for the Pacifica Hybrid. In 6 years of forum following on the Camry, I can't remember a single time when a high voltage battery was replaced. It may well have happened and the people that it happened to didn't post about it but it would appear that Chrysler has their work cut out for them to come close to Toyota's reliability based on the number of HV batteries mentioned in this forum.
Can it be that you didn't follow the problems you didn't experience? A quick Google search found plenty of the HV battery complaints in Toyota's hybrid lineup (AFAIK Prius, Camry and RAV4 hybrid drives are very similar). There is even a company that refurbishes and sells replacement, so there is a sizeable market for them. https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...ck&make=Toyota

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
stop-eject is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-31-2019, 08:23 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
Can it be that you didn't follow the problems you didn't experience? A quick Google search found plenty of the HV battery complaints in Toyota's hybrid lineup (AFAIK Prius, Camry and RAV4 hybrid drives are very similar). There is even a company that refurbishes and sells replacement, so there is a sizeable market for them. https://www.dormanproducts.com/gsear...ck&make=Toyota
It's possible but I generally read every post on the forum. To be fair, there were a few posts about replacing individual cells but not the entire battery. The only issue we ever had was the 12v battery failed a year in but that could happen to any car.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, granite crystal
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Honda Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
mainesail is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2018 Pacifica Hybrid - Service Charging System denfor26 2017+ Pacifica PHEV Hybrid Maintenance And Service 20 05-27-2019 05:36 PM
2019 Pachy - Service Hybrid Electrical System dadspacifica2019 2017+ Pacifica PHEV Hybrid Maintenance And Service 2 03-24-2019 05:49 PM
Hybrid System Limited Warranty tozierre1 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Hybrid General Discussion 12 11-08-2018 04:34 PM
Mopar Videos aork 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica PHEV Hybrid General Discussion 0 04-28-2017 08:47 PM
Official Press Release joet67 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan General Discussion 0 01-28-2016 02:56 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome