Running boards with the limited hybrid - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Running boards with the limited hybrid

I was told that the oem Mopar running boards that I bought for my limited hybrid were incompatible due to my car having the hands free sliding door option.

You can turn off the handsfree sliders within uconnect, but my dealer was adamant that it wouldn't work.

I wanted a second opinion, so here I am. Has anyone had running boards installed on an hybrid limited with the handsfree sliders, and if so, what voodoo did you do to make it work?

Id hate to be out the money for these boards.

Any insight you might have would be appreciated!

2018 Pacific Hybrid Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:18 PM

The dealership is blowing hot air.
From what I understand a forum member had the same issue and got it installed from dealership after the service tech removed those sensors (or something like that) from underneath the door.
If I remember correctly another forum member installed the footboard on his own disregarding everything (just disabled the sensor through Uconnect) and apparently everything was fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 05:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
I was told that the oem Mopar running boards that I bought for my limited hybrid were incompatible due to my car having the hands free sliding door option.

You can turn off the handsfree sliders within uconnect, but my dealer was adamant that it wouldn't work.

I wanted a second opinion, so here I am. Has anyone had running boards installed on an hybrid limited with the handsfree sliders, and if so, what voodoo did you do to make it work?

Id hate to be out the money for these boards.

Any insight you might have would be appreciated!
The running boards will fit just fine, I have a gas limited and installed them myself and everything still works !...i did modify the bracket of the sensors very slightly with a dremmel to get them to go back on but it was a simple deal. The reason dealerships say they will not fit is because i think they say the sensors are more exposed. they are (slightly) but I have had no problems at all.
It is also very easy to remove the hands free sensors if you want to, I think this part would be exactly the same on the Hybrid. If the dealer will not do it, do it yourself or find a local body shop. Entire job took me a couple of hours.

2017 Bright white Limited
Black/alloy, advanced safety pack,
U-connect theater. Tri-pane roof. Verde Invictus 22"
Quite a few custom modifications and lots more to come .

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:04 PM

The dealer is correct, Chrysler says incompatible. So they are doing what Chrysler says.

In reality they can be installed. Many here have.

While the hands free door sensor can be re-installed with the running boards mounted they don't go in 100% the way it originally was, but they are still solid.

I believe Chrysler says no to hands free doors and running boards combo to limit their liability because of the two following points:
- to activate the doors with your foot with the running boards installed your foot needs to reach further under the running board than under the rockers alone. Possible perceived tripping hazard?
- the OEM rocker panels cover and protect the hands-free sensors from the elements. Water / snow / mud / etc. With the sensors fully exposed their lifespan may be reduced, or may be easier damaged by debris.

My dealer, after much persuasion, eventually agreed to install after I ok'd them disabling the hands free doors. They did so in Uconnect by turning off the feature and by not re-installing the sensors under the van.

I re-installed the sensors myself the following weekend. They still work (though more difficult), but we still don't use them :-) I mainly didn't want an exposed harness end open underneath the car.

Over the winter we did get a "door sensors are dirty, wash underneath car" error on the dash a few times. It disappeared quickly and when the winter gunk melted off it stayed away.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 01:13 PM

wouldn't those be ruined in like a week's time by rubbing on the curb ?

it seems they stick out too much ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g1981c View Post
wouldn't those be ruined in like a week's time by rubbing on the curb ?

it seems they stick out too much ?

That’s my only worry since the Pacifica sits so low anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 10:26 AM

I haven't had an issue with mine. We tend to avoid curbs though :-P

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page