If you keep your cars over 10 years.. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:42 AM Thread Starter

If you keep your cars over 10 years..

We'll be looking soon to replace our 06 EXL Odyssey with 257k miles. I just started preliminary research and it looks like in the minivan market only Ody and Pacifica are top contenders for various reasons.

Sorry, if this question was discussed before, but I'm not sure I understand the economics of buying Pacifica Hybrid (warrantied for 10y/150k miles) if one plans to keep the car over 10 year period.
It is my understanding that after 10 years, the likelihood of replacing the battery is very high. The cost of replacing the battery for 10+ year vehicle does not make a lot of sense to me, but maybe someone in this forum can explain why would you buy a hybrid van for a long-term period? I mean I understand 'save the planet' concept, but this is not Tesla.

Side note: I got excited finding 18 Hybrid Limited w/'manager special' for 36k (base). Subtracting 7.5k federal credit (if it is still applicable?), the price for the van seems too good to be true. Ody Elite w/10 speed tranny costs much more - $42k base. I almost called the dealership, but then thought about this 'long-term' question and now would like to get more clarification on this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstatinet View Post
We'll be looking soon to replace our 06 EXL Odyssey with 257k miles. I just started preliminary research and it looks like in the minivan market only Ody and Pacifica are top contenders for various reasons.

Sorry, if this question was discussed before, but I'm not sure I understand the economics of buying Pacifica Hybrid (warrantied for 10y/150k miles) if one plans to keep the car over 10 year period.
It is my understanding that after 10 years, the likelihood of replacing the battery is very high. The cost of replacing the battery for 10+ year vehicle does not make a lot of sense to me, but maybe someone in this forum can explain why would you buy a hybrid van for a long-term period? I mean I understand 'save the planet' concept, but this is not Tesla.

Side note: I got excited finding 18 Hybrid Limited w/'manager special' for 36k (base). Subtracting 7.5k federal credit (if it is still applicable?), the price for the van seems too good to be true. Ody Elite w/10 speed tranny costs much more - $42k base. I almost called the dealership, but then thought about this 'long-term' question and now would like to get more clarification on this.
Youíre about in the same boat I was about six months ago. We had (actually still have) a 2002 Odyssey with 312k miles on it and finally decided it was time for a new one and bought the 2018 PacHy. Hereís what I think on the long term viability of keeping the PacHy: First, I think technology will have sufficiently evolved by 2029 such that a replacement battery will not be as expensive as it is now. I also think itís very possible that you may find that there will be plenty of new upstart companies that will be able repair and/or refurbish battery paks. I also think that even if the battery pak loses much of its capacity after ten years and will not retain a sufficient charge for electric-only mode, the van will still continue to function well as a hybrid vehicle where the battery is used pretty much just as a buffer between the generator and the motor.

Hereís another scenario albeit perhaps a little far-fetched. Suppose in ten years that the price of gas has risen to $5/gallon but the cost of electricity doesnít change that much. It might make more sense to shell out a few thousand bucks for a new battery if youíll be saving a lot by driving using electricity as your primary fuel.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:26 AM

I suppose your question should be related to the cost of the battery. I have no idea what that cost may be for it. Itís probably a bit more than the cost of replacing the transmission in your Odyssey. So given that if the transmission died in your current van at 150k miles would you have replaced it and kept the van going?

We are seeing around 32-34mpg average in our Pachy because of some extended road trips (it would be higher if we stuck around town). Our Sienna averaged 14.5mpg for the 80k miles we had it.

Given 150k miles weíll use 4700 gallons ($16,900) in the Pachy and 10,400 gallons ($37,000) in the Sienna. Of course the Pachy is also using electricity but in our case it comes off our roof. Everything has a cost associated.

Someone on here will have numbers for 150k that include the electricity cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 07:58 AM

Garage
Why do you think the battery will only last 10 years? It may not have it's optimal capacity, but it will still function. With a short range battery it should still drive like a hybrid.

Did you need to have your transmission rebuilt in the Odyssey? I know many who have. The cost is probably similar to a battery replacement. There are a few Chevy Volt owners who needed the battery replaced for some reason outside warranty and my understanding was it's in the $3500 ballpark. These aren't the magic everlasting drivetrain, they need maintenance like everything else and sometimes a major service. Who knows what they will be like after 10 years. My Volt is at 6 years and 80K miles and still has it's original range. I think we will have it long past 10 years, we'll see.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:06 AM

My last Chrysler minivan lasted 15 years and I intend to keep my PacHy at least 10 if all goes well. Yes, the battery warranty is for 10 years, but I don't know that anyone knows for certain that it's going to need to be replaced after 10 years.

I can think of a lot of appliances and other items that well outlast their initial warranty period. AutoTrader and Edmunds say the high-voltage batteries should last 10-15 years or around 200K miles, although Toyota says some Priuses have gotten to almost 300K on the factory battery. Plus with the current state of change in battery technology and cost, it may be much less expensive to replace in a few years (and may provide greater range than the current batteries).

In the meantime, I'm driving a car that often gets 1000 miles per tank (I plug in every night) so I only refuel once a month or whenever I take a long trip. Even on long highway trips, the range is 400+ miles (27-29 mpg is much better than my 02 T&C). And with the $7500 Federal tax credit, the cost of my hybrid was less than a similarly equipped gas Pacifica... my dealer tried to talk me into switching while I waited for delivery since he had several Pacificas on his lot, but he wouldn't come down enough in price to make it worthwhile.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 AM

I replace my vehicles every few years - love keeping it fresh! Buy it now - life's too short to worry about 10 years from now!
craig and Thundering Banshee like this.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Ditto what everybody else said, but about that "manager special", it may already have the $7500 federal and any state incentives already built in, as well as any whacky incentives you probably aren't eligible for. If that's the case, go with a different dealer... that's scammy... and go with a 2019 if it ain't that much more.

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:17 PM

You can already buy refurbished batteries for various Honda and Toyota hybrid's, I would assume there would be a market for refurbished Pacifica batteries as well. I found a listing for a 04-09 Prius battery for 800 bucks, with another $200 for install in NJ.

Really you just have to decide if the improved mileage, and 20ish miles of electric only range are worth the additional cost of the van and a replacement battery in 10 years. I am not sure how easy it is to install the Pacifica battery but 1k seems rather low to me.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for all who replied. I test drove today Hyb Touring Plus model at another dealership. I liked the chairs, but speed dial shifter is a horrible idea. Just for comparison also test drove today 19' Ody EXL w/RES and Elite trims. There is no shifter either, but the buttons in the Ody are a better idea than a dial on Pachy, imho. The seats in the Ody are not good. There is no improvement whatsoever in comparison to older generations.

The bottom line, I'm still not sure about the long-term reliability of Pacifica and if the battery will outlive its warranted period. Btw, there is no option to buy an extended warranty on the battery. Regarding, Federal Tax credit for 2019 one sales guy at the dealership told me that there is no more credit if I buy the van, but if I lease than there is one. Apparently, he confirmed w/Chrysler HQs. I highly doubt that what he says is the truth.
Another thing I noticed is that transmission origin is in Canada and the engine is in Mexico. The latter worries me.

Ody's transmissions and engines are reliable to go over 250k miles and up. Though, the other parts might fail too like in Pacifica.

The two 'manager specials' 2018 Pachy Limited editions for $36k, I mentioned in my original post, were scam :-) The sales guy said that these are not for sale because of ball joints failure and currently under recall.

And here we go reliability vs saving on gas decisions :-)

Last edited by kstatinet; 04-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Thank you for all who replied. I test drove today Hyb Touring Plus model at another dealership. I liked the chairs, but speed dial shifter is a horrible idea. Just for comparison also test drove today 19' Ody EXL w/RES and Elite trims. There is no shifter either, but the buttons in the Ody are a better idea than a dial on Pachy, imho. The seats in the Ody are not good. There is no improvement whatsoever in comparison to older generations.

The bottom line, I'm still not sure about the long-term reliability of Pacifica and if the battery will outlive its warranted period. Btw, there is no option to buy an extended warranty on the battery. Regarding, Federal Tax credit for 2019 one sales guy at the dealership told me that there is no more credit if I buy the van, but if I lease than there is one. Apparently, he confirmed w/Chrysler HQs. I highly doubt that what he says is the truth.
Another thing I noticed is that transmission origin is in Canada and the engine is in Mexico. The latter worries me.

Ody's transmissions and engines are reliable to go over 250k miles and up. Though, the other parts might fail too like in Pacifica.

The two 'manager specials' 2018 Pachy Limited editions for $36k, I mentioned in my original post, were scam :-) The sales guy said that these are not for sale because of ball joints failure and currently under recall.

And here we go reliability vs saving on gas decisions :-)
I would run from that dealership! The first lie is that you can only get the federal tax credit if you lease. The second lie is that the van is not for sale because of the recall. Itís true there is an ongoing recall which involves something about installing a larger bolt in a ball joint. But any salesman in his right mind would sell you the car and just expedite the recall/repair. Iím sure if they wanted to sell you a van it could be ready in a day or two.
Frig likes this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page