Battery life for long term owners - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By jhinsc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Question Battery life for long term owners

I'm sure there are a lot of owners here who have owned their vans for relatively long term (1+ year). How's your battery holding up? Is there a battery life indicator for PacHy? Is it still at 100%? Did any of you have to get a replacement due to significant battery capacity reduction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaileaKid View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of owners here who have owned their vans for relatively long term (1+ year). How's your battery holding up? Is there a battery life indicator for PacHy? Is it still at 100%? Did any of you have to get a replacement due to significant battery capacity reduction?
Mine still charges to 100% although I'm down about 1.8kw with 27k @ 14 months old.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by inis View Post
Mine still charges to 100% although I'm down about 1.8kw with 27k @ 14 months old.
Seasonal or overall?

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 08:59 AM

I've had mine since Nov 2017, and now have 20,500 miles. Since the last recall/software update, it now reports 33-34 electric miles on a full charge. At first I thought it meant I was going to get less mileage on battery, but it's been consistent, providing 28 - 34 miles on a charge, depending on weather, or sitting parked while on the phone with hvac on. I have no regrets buying it and only have a few nitpiks: 1) I have the Platinum model and it came with the 17" wheels/tires option (-$175 on sticker). They're easy to keep clean, the wheel design is such I don't have to worry about curb rash, but they have the Yokohama's on them - would have preferred Michelins that came with the 18" wheels. But the tires are wearing evenly, and I'll likely get 40-50k miles out them; 2) the sliding doors now sound like they need to be lubricated when they're opening - when they close they sound fine. I'll have the dealer check it out next time I'm there. 3) the 2017's don't have Android Auto - which I liked using in previous vehicles; 4) when I fill up with gas, I have to trickle the gas in or the gas nozzle auto-shutoffs. It could be that particular station - I'll have to try another one to see if it's really a problem.

Things I love: 1) the Unconnect system, even if it's the older gen than what's in the 2018/19's. One particular feature I use a lot is sending Nav destinations to it from my phone! 2) Didn't think I would use the panoramic sunroof a lot, but in the winter/cooler weather when it's sunny out, I'll open the shade and let natural sunlight help warm the interior, or keep in warm when I'm out and about. In the summer, I keep it closed, plus pull up all the window visors in 2nd/3rd rows. Find that it doesn't so hot parked in the sun.

Things I wish Chrysler would do: 1) use the plug-in hybrid tech in other vehicles. Offer a 4 cyl in place of the V6 (2.0 ltr turbo?) Likely save a couple hundred lbs, maybe better pure-hybrid mileage? 2) Where's the crossover that could be used on the Pacifica platform? Spread the cost of the hybrid tech out among more vehicles to get the price down. They're talking about a plug-in Wrangler, but what about the other SUV's? I'm sure the hybrid system is scalable to fit smaller/larger vehicles. 3) Put it in the Ram 1500! That would be perfect!
Bond007 and m0ebius604 like this.

2017 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum, Billet Silver, Panoramic Sunroof, 17" Wheels
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhinsc View Post
2) Where's the crossover that could be used on the Pacifica platform?
Google 'Chrysler Portal'. The Pacifica-based crossover has been delayed due to continued, solid sales of the Grand Caravan and Journey (which is what a crossover would replace). They're old and outdated, but continue to sell well because they're a good value for what you get. For a growing family on a tight budget, they're a lot of new vehicle for not much money.

It's unlikely that a brand-new crossover would be anywhere near the same value.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudiger View Post
Google 'Chrysler Portal'. The Pacifica-based crossover has been delayed due to continued, solid sales of the Grand Caravan and Journey (which is what a crossover would replace). They're old and outdated, but continue to sell well because they're a good value for what you get. For a growing family on a tight budget, they're a lot of new vehicle for not much money.

It's unlikely that a brand-new crossover would be anywhere near the same value.

I donít see a problem with continued production of the journey and GC along with the new car. If they donít introduce the portal soon, itíll lose its charm, and other manufacturers will introduce similar vehicles and FCA will be considered a dumpster worthy brand. Iím not saying itís far from that anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
I don’t see a problem with continued production of the journey and GC along with the new car.
The problem is one of what is called 'commonality' or component sharing. It's the basis of auto manufacturering profit for most of the last century. In effect, basic components are shared across a wide range of product lines. GM used to be a master of this by skillfully disguising that all the divisions shared at least some common (but well hidden) parts like roofs and window glass, from Cadillac down to Chevrolet.

In that regard, time is running out on the Grand Caravan and Journey as newer platforms and drivetrains enter the picture. They're clinging to life now mainly due to the continued use of the Pentastar V6 engine in most other FCA products. But, at some point, even that is going to be replaced.

Even now, the GC and Journey are continuing to use an archaic 5-speed automatic because it would be too expensive to re-engineer them for the Pacifica's 9-speed. I'm not positive, but I think they're the only FCA products that still use it.

'18 PacHy Ltd, red/alloy, 18" whls, roof, AST

Last edited by rudiger; Today at 03:05 PM.

Tags
battery , hybrid , pachy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in