L confusion - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

L confusion

I tried an experiment the other day driving on a flat road at a constant speed of about 30mph. It was in electric mode and in D, the readout said 56mpg while in L it went to 99mpg. No lifting of the accelerator on my part so the question is , is this real or some fluke on the way mpg is calculated.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, granite crystal
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Honda Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

L confusion

I tried an experiment the other day driving on a flat road at a constant speed of about 30mph. It was in electric mode and in D, the readout said 56mpg while in L it went to 99mpg. No lifting of the accelerator on my part so the question is , is this real or some fluke on the way mpg is calculated?

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited, granite crystal
2015 Volvo V60
2005 Honda Odyssey
1970 Camaro-original owner
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:55 PM

L confusion

You mean like this? It’s in my gas Pacifica and I can make it happen . IMG_3591.jpg
IMG_3589.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2018 Gas Pacifica Limited, Jazz blue with Alloy interior
8 Seater, Uconnect theater HK sound, Trailer tow package.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
I tried an experiment the other day driving on a flat road at a constant speed of about 30mph. It was in electric mode and in D, the readout said 56mpg while in L it went to 99mpg. No lifting of the accelerator on my part so the question is , is this real or some fluke on the way mpg is calculated?
Did the van eventually slow down some when you switched to L?

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainesail View Post
I tried an experiment the other day driving on a flat road at a constant speed of about 30mph. It was in electric mode and in D, the readout said 56mpg while in L it went to 99mpg. No lifting of the accelerator on my part so the question is , is this real or some fluke on the way mpg is calculated.
Did the van eventually start to slow down while in L?

Because when I have shifted into L with foot on the accelerator it seems to create some drag and slows the car down a bit. My guess is that more accelerator would be required to maintain the same speed when in L. Again, the only reason in my mind that the van would act this way is to emulate the way that a gas engine with automatic transmission works.

Last edited by PacDave; 04-24-2019 at 12:38 AM.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 01:10 AM

I'm pretty sure the L mode is using the generator more aggressively, meaning it'll create (more) "drag" and slow down the vehicle whereas D only uses the generator lightly and feels more like coasting. It's the same on our Spark EV. At least on the Spark the L mode is a good bit more "fuel" efficient (maybe around 20%ish), but the driving is a bit less pleasant and it does create a bit more tire wear.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring +
2014 Chevy Spark EV
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 08:45 AM

When you switched to "L," you not only see the mileage jump up, you also start slowing down.

From my experiments (numbers and pedal linearity are rough estimates, but the concept is correct)...

In "D," the pedal goes from 0% power to 100% power. So 25% down is ~25% power.
In "L," the pedal goes from, say, -10% power to 100% power. So 20% down is 1/4 of the way from -10 to 100 = 17.5% power.

Personally, I always drive in "L" so I don't have to brake as much. Do note; however, that when you let off the pedal in "L," you are engaging the regenerative brakes without activating the brake light (at least that what happens on my 2018.)
m0ebius604 likes this.

Last edited by 2018Hybrid; 04-24-2019 at 08:48 AM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 02:12 PM

Garage
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2018Hybrid View Post
When you switched to "L," you not only see the mileage jump up, you also start slowing down.

From my experiments (numbers and pedal linearity are rough estimates, but the concept is correct)...

In "D," the pedal goes from 0% power to 100% power. So 25% down is ~25% power.
In "L," the pedal goes from, say, -10% power to 100% power. So 20% down is 1/4 of the way from -10 to 100 = 17.5% power.

Personally, I always drive in "L" so I don't have to brake as much. Do note; however, that when you let off the pedal in "L," you are engaging the regenerative brakes without activating the brake light (at least that what happens on my 2018.)
In my opinion, one drawback of driving in “L” all of the time is that it’s even harder to keep the van from engaging regenerative braking. I think that regenerative braking should only be used when you are intentionally trying to slow the van down or stop. Any other ‘accidental’ activation of it seems to reduce efficiency a bit. If I had a choice I would disable even the small amount of regenerative braking that occurs in “D” so that lifting your foot completely off of the accelerator would allow the van to coast without any braking.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDave View Post
Did the van eventually start to slow down while in L?

Because when I have shifted into L with foot on the accelerator it seems to create some drag and slows the car down a bit. My guess is that more accelerator would be required to maintain the same speed when in L. Again, the only reason in my mind that the van would act this way is to emulate the way that a gas engine with automatic transmission works.

L is just regen mode. This would be less confusing to a brand new driver, but for us old things L was a transmission gear and this transmission has only one forward. It would have been nice to use a different letter on the shifter, but R is already used for reverse and the use of L seems a nod to those of us who thought we knew what it meant. I'm one of those who runs in L all the time as I can then use the gas pedal as a speed control--both faster and slower. And putting charge back into the battery seems a good thing and it works nicely for me.
Haggy45 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page