Safe to the engine and transmission to drive in L gear? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Safe to the engine and transmission to drive in L gear?

I’m sure it was discussed here but reading from other sites that some people drive in L gear all the time in other EV’s. What’s the consensus here? I started drive in L around local roads and in traffic and have noticed an improvement in mileage on a full charge. Can I drive in L gear on the highway and if so what is the max speed? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schen12345 View Post
I’m sure it was discussed here but reading from other sites that some people drive in L gear all the time in other EV’s. What’s the consensus here? I started drive in L around local roads and in traffic and have noticed an improvement in mileage on a full charge. Can I drive in L gear on the highway and if so what is the max speed? Thanks!
With the PacHy ‘low gear’ is not really a low gear. It’s just a setting that gives more sensitive regenerative braking. It’s good that you observe higher efficiency in L but I’m not sure why it would be the case. The only reason I can think of would be is that when you’re in D you’re braking hard enough that the physical brakes are kicking in and not taking advantage of the regen braking as much as you could. In L perhaps it forces you to use the brake pedal less and thus the chances of using physical brakes over regen braking.

I believe that the manual states somewhere that you can drive in L as much as you want. It won’t make any difference on the highway. You should be able to drive at any speed.
RC Mike, Frig and pannna like this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:10 PM

Garage
Sounds like hes using ACC mostly.

Using ACC “Stop and go” in traffic blends the friction braking with regen and almost never exceeds 25% (on the gauge) of regen autonomously in D mode. L mode however with ACC achieves %50 regen for the same conditions but still blends friction braking.. the extra 25% can lead to a noticeable improvement.

I prefer Classic driving now. Braking from above 40mph can achieve 100% with no friction braking as long as the pedal pressure isn't too aggressive.

Personally I avoid regen, drive in D mode and lift the throttle to 0kw to coast unless I need to stop. Then finding the highest continuous regen rate for the longest available time during the stop. This is tons better than peak regen from my experience.

But I’ve only managed an extra 16mi range from my beast for 46mi (total single charge) so far.

(80,000W x 3 seconds = 240k joules)
(25,000W x 18 seconds = 450k joules)

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 05-12-2019 at 10:46 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:01 AM

I’ve come to like L quite a bit. I’m getting about 33-34 miles electric each day. I haven’t done any testing to see if there’s a difference in the modes as far as average range goes. I just like the pedal feel in L.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
Sounds like hes using ACC mostly.

Using ACC “Stop and go” in traffic blends the friction braking with regen and almost never exceeds 25% (on the gauge) of regen autonomously in D mode. L mode however with ACC achieves %50 regen for the same conditions but still blends friction braking.. the extra 25% can lead to a noticeable improvement.

I prefer Classic driving now. Braking from above 40mph can achieve 100% with no friction braking as long as the pedal pressure isn't too aggressive.

Personally I avoid regen, drive in D mode and lift the throttle to 0kw to coast unless I need to stop. Then finding the highest continuous regen rate for the longest available time during the stop. This is tons better than peak regen from my experience.

But I’ve only managed an extra 16mi range from my beast for 46mi (total single charge) so far.

(80,000W x 3 seconds = 240k joules)
(25,000W x 18 seconds = 450k joules)
I agree completely. My only wish is that Chrysler would have designed it so that lifting your foot completely off the throttle would result in no regeneration. Then you wouldn’t have to consciously avoid regen.

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM

Garage
I test drove a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV that had 5 levels of regenerative braking to choose from. I may have that car in my future. (to replace the Ioniq, not the PacHy)

2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:13 PM
Rus

I think they should have taken a cue from Kia and used B with the PacHy instead to symbolize increased regen since it's a completely different thing that L on a gasser.

2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl with S Package
Van's Nickname is Petunia
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:18 PM

Taken directly from the user Pacifica user manual p.299-300:

Hybrid Transmission
The transmission is controlled using a rotary electronic
gear selector located on the center console. The transmission gear selector has PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL,
DRIVE, and LOW shift positions. Using the LOW position
will increase the rate of deceleration along with increasing
regeneration of power into the vehicle’s High Voltage (HV)
battery (in comparison to the DRIVE position)

LOW (L)
This range should be used when descending very steep
grades. The vehicle transmission can be operated continuously in LOW without damaging the vehicle or causing
issues. Using the LOW position will increase the rate of
deceleration (along with increasing regeneration of power
into the vehicle’s high voltage battery) when the accelerator pedal is released in comparison to the DRIVE position.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

Why didn’t Chrysler just program the max regen in D? Not seeing any reasons to drive in D anymore. What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schen12345 View Post
Why didn’t Chrysler just program the max regen in D? Not seeing any reasons to drive in D anymore. What am I missing? 🤷‍♂️
Well, regen is good but only for when you’re going to stop. If you’re just coasting or trying to maintain a certain speed the regen should be avoided for efficiency’s sake.
Frig likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page