Just got a new 18 hybrid. Few questions. - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Just got a new 18 hybrid. Few questions.

Got a new 18 hybrid Touring L for 10k off MSRP. Really wanted memory seats but couldn't justify the price jump to a 19 Limited to get that feature. I think I got a good deal. And the 7500 tax credit even makes it better. Opinions welcomed.

They offered a 100k extended warranty for $2100. Does that sound good or needed?

It has the DVD player in the ceiling. I noticed it has a usb port. What video formats will it play from it? Does it support any cover art for the movie files? Don't use DVDs, but a loaded usb drive of movies would be nice.

Can you adjust the open height of the rear tailgate? Looks like it might hit my garage door when it is open.

First non GM car for me. My 04 Envoy XUV has 204k on it and still going. Hoping this lasts as well as it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 02:29 AM

Check the manual on the open height of the gate. I think I saw it in there.

I skipped the extended warranty. I purchased a lifetime warranty on my 2008 T&C, knowing Iíd own it for ten years or so. It hasnít needed much work, so I lost on that gamble. With my 2019 PacHy, Iím going to wait and see.

Thereís not much advantage in buying an extended warranty at the time of sale. Youíll get the best price on it buying it separate from the vehicle. You can buy it from any Chrysler dealer, anytime during the factory warranty. That means if you decide to get it, you can pursue a competitive price. The only advantage to buying it at the time of purchase is to wrap it into the auto loan. For me, thatís not something Iíd want to do.

A good example is my wifeís Edge. That poor car has spent a couple of months in the shop, each time for what would have been a pricy repair. As we closed in on the basic warranty expiring, we were able to figure out what kind of coverage we needed to allow us to keep the vehicle. Got an additional 5 years and 90,000 additional miles for $2,100. We wouldnít have know how many miles weíd need until our use patterns became apparent and wouldnít have known weíd need a warranty at all until the Edgeís lack of reliability became apparent. Local dealers wanted north of $3,000 for that warranty. Buying online let us pick the right warranty at the best possible price.
Bond007 likes this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

I didn't see anything in the manual about adjusting the open gate height. I will ask the dealer tomorrow and see if they know how.

I will probably skip the warranty for now. And see how it does over the next year or two.

Found out I wish it had power folding mirrors. It barely fits in the garage with them out. If I manually fold one in it is easier, but tight. Never would have guessed it was wider than my Envoy. Why make a car that barely fits through a standard garage door?

Mine came with the wireless phone charger which I have sense learned isn't Qi. I tried to got to the mopar wirelesscharging site, but the site it down. Is there a newer site to use the voucher at? I found the original rubber mat in the glove box. Is it hard to take out the wireless charger? Would probably like the flat original mat more than wireless charging anyway.

So far we really like the way it drives. Like not using gas also.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 12:39 AM

Itís an inch or so wider than my old T&C. Iíve got single stall doors on my garage, and Iíve gotten in the habit of using the power folding mirrors as I pull in the driveway. Iíll do it in tighter parking lots, too. I donít think Iíd have a problem with not having them, but theyíve been more useful than I expected.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Itís an inch or so wider than my old T&C. Iíve got single stall doors on my garage, and Iíve gotten in the habit of using the power folding mirrors as I pull in the driveway. Iíll do it in tighter parking lots, too. I donít think Iíd have a problem with not having them, but theyíve been more useful than I expected.
I don't have power folding mirrors but I do have a question about their use. You say you fold them in before entering the garage. What about when you back out? If they are still folded in then how do you know whether you are in danger of scraping the edge of the door frame?

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
I don't have power folding mirrors but I do have a question about their use. You say you fold them in before entering the garage. What about when you back out? If they are still folded in then how do you know whether you are in danger of scraping the edge of the door frame?
They unfold either by pushing the button, or when the speed is about something around 10mph. They stay folded while in the garage, and unfold themselves when I’m on my way. It’s a handier feature than I expected it to be. I don’t have a problem going in or out of my single door, but I suspect my wife would feel uncomfortable.

I’d really like it if Chrysler build some geofencing into the van. When I’m at my driveway, it would be nice if the mirrors would fold in automatically.

The side cameras for the surround-view are in the side mirror bodies, so when the mirrors fold you get a rather distorted view. Honda has done something interesting with their side mirror cameras. When you use your blinker, it displays the camera’s view on your main display, showing your blind spot.
Bond007 and AZBean like this.

Last edited by RC Mike; 05-21-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:53 PM

I have the same ceiling dvd player. I have used a usb stick with converted dvdís to mp4 via handbreak. They work well!. The dvd player is not blu ray.

2018 Pacifica Touring L
Bright White
Cognac/Alloy/Toffee interior
18 in Wheels
Overhead DVD
No matter where you go there you are!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 PM

Congrats on your purchase. You did get a good deal. I bought a 2018 Pachy in December 2018 and got $4500 off but then I got 4 rebates for a total of $11,450 (California has a lot of rebates).

Garage doors are fairly standard and my back hatch opens all the way with about an inch to spare, so I thought I was lucky.

Regarding extended warranties, I didn't buy at dealer but financed at the credit union and they offered one for about $1400. I have a Limited with a lot of "bells and whistles" so thought it was worth buying for peace of mind. Also, I am a Toyota guy so mildly worried about the brand. If I never need, at least I can sleep well not worrying about unexpected expenses. Enjoy your new van! It is big and rides really well. (and I got 60 mpg on my last fill!)
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Man California does have a lot of rebates. I only got a small rebate by financing through Chrysler, and I will get the $7500 federal tax credit for it being a hybrid

I adjusted my garage door to pull it up until it hits the motor and that gave it some more clearance for the rear lift gate. So, now I am not to worried about it hitting.

I am going to refinance with a credit union to get better rate than the Chrysler one. When I do I will talk to them about warranties.

I did throw some mp4 files on a usb drive and they played fine. Now to get a larger drive and put all the kids movies on it.

So far we have driven about 325 miles in a week and only burned about 1/4 tank of gas. That beats filling the Envoy up every week. Looking at getting a Level 2 charger and having a 220 outlet wired in the garage. I having been looking at the MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger 40amp as I don't really need all the fancy features of the more expensive ones. Might not need gas at all if I do that. Still need to get quotes from electricians and figure out how long it would take to earn a return on the investment.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emedlin View Post
So far we have driven about 325 miles in a week and only burned about 1/4 tank of gas. That beats filling the Envoy up every week. Looking at getting a Level 2 charger and having a 220 outlet wired in the garage. I having been looking at the MUSTART Level 2 Portable EV Charger 40amp as I don't really need all the fancy features of the more expensive ones. Might not need gas at all if I do that. Still need to get quotes from electricians and figure out how long it would take to earn a return on the investment.
You may never get a return on investment if you have to purchase a Level 2 EVSE plus installation. I estimate level 2 is about 10% more efficient than level 1. It takes about 13 kWh to fully charge the car. These are number of charges just to breakeven for the $379 EVSE:

Price difference between each charge in cents:
$0.10 3790 charges
$0.12 3158
$0.14 2707
$0.16 2369
$0.18 2106
$0.20 1895
$0.22 1723
$0.24 1579

But this is just electric costs and doesn't take gas savings into consideration. If you have a schedule where you go home multiple times a day, the breakeven will be much sooner.
m0ebius604 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page