Question about Safetytec package - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Question about Safetytec package

I'm trying to determine which trim level I need in a Pacifica Hybrid. I'm on a tight budget, and am fine with cloth seats, no dvd players, and without the techy stuff. My top priority however is safety, most specifically the rearview camera and brake assist. It looks like they have more safety features in the Safetytec package, but only on the Limited trim level which is probably out of my price range.

I think there is some version of rear view camera and Brake assist included in the touring models? If so, what do I really need the safetytec package? I don't care too much about parking assist or even rear cross path, even though those would be nice to have. Is active braking different from brake assist?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 07:14 PM

Below the Limited, all you get is cross-path detection and blind spot monitoring.

Advanced Safety Tech is an option on the Limited. AST is what gets you the collision-avoidance brake assist. Itís the same sensor that is used for adaptive cruise control.

If the Limited is out of your price range, Iíd wait a month and see what the 2020 model year brings. These sorts of safety packages are starting to become mainstream, so Chrysler may make it an option on the lower trims.
Cornfield, Bond007 and Waldo like this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:53 AM

The base model does have a back-up camera. The advanced safety tech (only available on Limited in hybrid) adds a 360 degree camera, as well as the Forward Collision Warning with active braking assist and Adaptive Cruise Control.

I must say, the way Chrysler handles its safety was almost a deal breaker for me. Safety technology like braking assist is standard on the Sienna and available on lower trims on the Odyssey. When buying a family vehicle, safety features are a top consideration and it is shameful that Chrysler made their safety an option only for higher trims. Personally, I would not buy a car without the AST package. In 2022, active braking assist will be a standard feature on cars made by all major manufacturers, including Chrysler. That's going to destroy the value of any car that doesn't have the technology. You wouldn't buy a used that doesn't have seat belts, and in 3 years nobody will want a used car that doesn't have braking assist.
Bond007 likes this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. It seems like the SafetyTec group is a must have. Unfortunately that might push this car out of my price range.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:12 PM

I donít think it reasonable to compare feature content of the Chrysler PHEV to other makers petrol minivans. The production cost is totally different and you donít know what those makers would offer on their plug in hybrid vans because they donít build such a thing. If you compare like for like, the advanced safety tech package is offered on the petrol Pacifica in the Limited, Touring L Plus, Touring L, and Touring Plus trim levels. The Touring Plus can be had with AST at a sticker price in the middle $30s range, which should translate to a selling price before TTL in the very low 30s. This compare quite favorably to the lowest trim level Odyssey (EX) which includes The Honda Sensing package.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

That's true, and I WISH the other manufacturers had hybrid minivan offerings. I think within a few years they will

But on a practical level I'm not trying to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Since I'm considering those safety features a requirement, I have options such as:

- Pacifica Hybrid Limited at 42k (35k after tax credit)
- Pacifica Gas/Petrol Only Limited for 40k
- Sienna at 29,500
- Odyssey at 31k

If I could get those safety features on the Touring version of the Pacifica, this would be a no brainer.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconfused View Post
Thanks for the replies. It seems like the SafetyTec group is a must have. Unfortunately that might push this car out of my price range.

Have you checked around for used 2018 PacHys Limiteds that may be used? You might find what you need at a better price. Autotrader is showing a few 2018 Limiteds in my area (NYC/Long Island/ NJ) with low mileage and prices well below the new ones (gas or hybrid) you may be shopping; you should check near you. {Jonathan}
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconfused View Post
That's true, and I WISH the other manufacturers had hybrid minivan offerings. I think within a few years they will

But on a practical level I'm not trying to make an apples-to-apples comparison. Since I'm considering those safety features a requirement, I have options such as:

- Pacifica Hybrid Limited at 42k (35k after tax credit)
- Pacifica Gas/Petrol Only Limited for 40k
- Sienna at 29,500
- Odyssey at 31k

If I could get those safety features on the Touring version of the Pacifica, this would be a no brainer.
Try to also factor in the long-term savings with the hybrid. We've been filling up every 5 weeks instead of every 5 days and it should be even better in the summer. Of course that's offset with increased electricity but we charge on nights/weekends when it's cheaper. Our electric bill has actually been lower since we also went gung-ho on new appliances, lightbulbs, etc.

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:48 PM

Why compare gas Limited, if the AST package is really what you want? You can get AST on a lower-trim gas Pacifica.
Bond007 likes this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Oh I didn't realize that you could get AST on a lower trim Pacifica gas.

I'm a little prejudiced towards Chrysler's reputation for reliability however. I know that will be an unpopular opinion in this board, and I'm very open to being convinced otherwise (links?). But if I'm going traditional gas I think I'd prefer honda or toyota. I'd only consider a chrysler because the mileage is so good on the hybrid.

*ducks down and plugs ears*

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page