Swap Hybrid for Hybrid = Win for Environment? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes
  • 1 Post By hefret
  • 4 Post By RC Mike
  • 1 Post By hefret
  • 2 Post By RC Mike
  • 1 Post By hefret
  • 1 Post By stop-eject
  • 1 Post By hefret

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Swap Hybrid for Hybrid = Win for Environment?

Two years ago I bought a 2017 Pacifica Hybrid that is now paid off. Aside from an AC problem early on, the various recalls that are well publicized, and a few other minor nits, the van has been reliable enough.

Lately, a thought crossed my mind. I will continue to need a minivan for 5+ years. Would I be doing the environment a favor if I traded in my van for the 2019 model (also hybrid)? The obvious answer might seem to be 'no', since there are significant environmental costs associated with manufacturing a new vehicle. However, I'd be putting another hybrid on the road. Someone else who might otherwise drive or buy a more polluting vehicle would now be driving my hybrid. I'd be making what is an expensive hybrid van more accessible to the average family. And I'd be encouraging more production of HEVs.

What about the financial aspect? With the $7500 tax credit on the new van, surely the trade-in wouldn't represent a huge loss on my part? At the end of the day though, I'd probably accept a minor financial hit if it would be doing the earth some good. Not to mention I'd be getting a brand new van out of it.

Should I trade in my van?
dwdaniell likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 AM

Garage
I came across this video when initially researching hybrids, which might answer some of your questions about the environmental cost (and time to equalize those costs vs the environmental advantages of a hybrid electric):

edit:

Ugh, I still can't post URLs. Anyway, go to YouTube and look for a video titled Are Electric Cars Worse For The Environment? Myth Busted by user Engineering Explained. Or add v=6RhtiPefVzM to the end of "youtube dot com slash watch".

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring L
January 2018 build date, purchased June 2019
Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl-Coat Exterior
Black Seats, KeySense, Overhead DVD Video
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:41 AM

Do what you want. It won't make any meaningful difference.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. The video was pretty insightful and makes a good case for electric cars. I don't know how much the equation changes when you're talking about hybrids vs. electrics.

I'll give some more thought as to what the "correct" answer might be. I know it doesn't make a big difference either way, but I'd still like to do my bit as I can. If I give a dollar to charity, I won't be making a meaningful difference to anyone's life, but it would still be considered a good deed. And good deeds tend to have a ripple effect. Every ocean started with a drop. Yada yada.
dwdaniell likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:21 AM

You’re equating buying yourself a new van with a charitable act? Good grief, some of you greenies will do anything to tie your own desires to some imagined greater good. Is that really necessary, to rationalize having a “positive” impact, so that you can justify what you want to yourself?

No, it’s not a good choice for the environment. You’re not changing the world for the better by engaging in unnecessary consumption. No, you’re not helping some “disadvantaged family” go green.

Why would any of that matter, anyway? Free yourself from whatever imagined environmentalist psychological prison you’ve created for yourself. It’s really ok to get a new van just because you want one.
pacifica2017 and craig like this.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

I don't actually desire a new van. I'm happy with what I have. I will not do the swap unless there is a clear reason to do so, which is why I came here. So far I have not seen that reason. That said, there is nothing wrong with questioning long held assumptions and looking for better ways to do things. I appreciate the feedback.
dwdaniell likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefret View Post
I don't actually desire a new van. I'm happy with what I have. I will not do the swap unless there is a clear reason to do so, which is why I came here. So far I have not seen that reason. That said, there is nothing wrong with questioning long held assumptions and looking for better ways to do things. I appreciate the feedback.
But as a service to the other forum members who have their sights on buying a PacHy a vetted van would be a great boon. Don't be hasty.......
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltdriver&PacHylurker View Post
But as a service to the other forum members who have their sights on buying a PacHy a vetted van would be a great boon. Don't be hasty.......
All decisions are subject to change as further information becomes available.

Last edited by hefret; 06-16-2019 at 09:57 PM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 01:30 AM

Garage
If you want to make an impact on the environment, you need to move to an apartment and use a bicycle and/or public transportation. Most people in the world don't even think about driving a minivan sized vehicle.
pacifica2017 likes this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stop-eject View Post
If you want to make an impact on the environment, you need to move to an apartment and use a bicycle and/or public transportation. Most people in the world don't even think about driving a minivan sized vehicle.
Understood. I work from home and don't have a car of my own. My wife is the main driver of the van. Unfortunately, convincing her to downsize and/or use alternate forms of transport is an exercise in futility. But she shuttles the kids around, and the van is certainly handy to have on trips, so at least we're getting good use out of it.
stop-eject likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page