85F Temp no AC did not deplete charge before GAS use? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By m0ebius604
  • 1 Post By Frig
  • 1 Post By m0ebius604
  • 1 Post By seamonkeys1

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

85F Temp no AC did not deplete charge before GAS use?

This is the first time this has happen, to my knowledge, since we purchased the Pacifica Hybrid. Plugged in and had a full charge before departure. Drove the van about 65 miles with the outside temp between 75-85 and did not run the AC. Upon arriving home and plugging in, the traction battery still had approx 25% remaining charge. On all other similar driving occasions the charge remaining was 1% (ie.. it used ALL the traction battery charge BEFORE using the gas). I know it can use gas before traction battery charge when it is fairly cold but I did not think it was normal when the temps were above 75 degrees and certainly when the AC was not used. What do I not understand about what might be going on? Another confusion, the usage app shows approx 40 miles battery (which should of depleted the traction battery) and 25 miles gas. Is this normal? Is something maybe wrong with the Van?

Thanks for any enlightenment in advance!!
Regards, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

BTW, this is a 2018 and my wife filled the tank about a week ago for the 3rd or 4th time since we purchased the vehicle July 28th last year. If I remember correctly, it will force use of gas if you do not use a tank every 6 months.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 PM

What speed were you driving at?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Touring Plus
2019 Nissan Leaf SL 40kWh

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

70mph or less.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:34 AM

Garage
You’ve owned the van for a year almost, so I’m sure your aware that your ICE can be activated in the summer regardless of charge level. for passing, rapid accelerator rates ie: emergencies, by exceeding approx 55% load on the load meter and also exceeding 80mph.

So I assume your know that once its come on, it maintains a minimum engine temperature for the whole trip until the key is cycled. And you should know that hybrid mode driving will report added electric range from engine and regeneration, so you may see more than 33mi electric miles reported at the trip summery..

So the part I don’t understand is how you where driving the van I guess because your surprised by having 25% battery remaining..

What you experienced is possible if you hit a hilly Highway and cruised at 80mph for the 65mi..

Generally a good rule to follow look for repeating patterns: If something odd happens once(in a blue moon); dont worry about it. If it happens regularly theres something up..

We have to reboot even the best computers occasionally, but they’re not considered faulty or broken or in need of repairs.

Its just how it is these days.
Frig likes this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by m0ebius604; 06-15-2019 at 01:37 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
Youíve owned the van for a year almost, so Iím sure your aware that your ICE can be activated in the summer regardless of charge level. for passing, rapid accelerator rates ie: emergencies, by exceeding approx 55% load on the load meter and also exceeding 80mph.

So I assume your know that once its come on, it maintains a minimum engine temperature for the whole trip until the key is cycled. And you should know that hybrid mode driving will report added electric range from engine and regeneration, so you may see more than 33mi electric miles reported at the trip summery..

So the part I donít understand is how you where driving the van I guess because your surprised by having 25% battery remaining..

What you experienced is possible if you hit a hilly Highway and cruised at 80mph for the 65mi..

Generally a good rule to follow look for repeating patterns: If something odd happens once; dont worry about it. If it happens regularly theres something up..

We have to reboot even the best computers occasionally, but theyíre not considered faulty or broken or in need of repairs.

Its just how it is these days.
In regards to awareness, remember Chrysler's design mantra seemed to be "automatic and seamless" so they wanted owners to be blissfully (or frustratingly) unaware of in the inner machinations of the system. Being unaware is by design.

Anyway, I heard that 80mph rule repeated often, but is that hardcoded? I'm guessing that's just around the point where electric can't generate enough oomph to overcome drag so ICE kicks in. A strong tailwind might make that magic point 100mph, or a strong headwind might make it 60mph, correct?
m0ebius604 likes this.

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:30 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
In regards to awareness, remember Chrysler's design mantra seemed to be "automatic and seamless" so they wanted owners to be blissfully (or frustratingly) unaware of in the inner machinations of the system. Being unaware is by design.

Anyway, I heard that 80mph rule repeated often, but is that hardcoded? I'm guessing that's just around the point where electric can't generate enough oomph to overcome drag so ICE kicks in. A strong tailwind might make that magic point 100mph, or a strong headwind might make it 60mph, correct?
Don't know Iím afraid.. its well above any legal limit on my roads.
Frig likes this.

-2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
-British Columbia Canada

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ebius604 View Post
Don't know Iím afraid.. its well above any legal limit on my roads.
Its hard coded, but its 82.
m0ebius604 likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonkeys1 View Post
Its hard coded, but its 82.
How do you know?

2019 Hybrid Limited Black with bird poop accents, S Package, Froot Loops, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, it was overcast
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:00 PM

In my experience with my 18 PacHy, if I'm maintaining 80+, the ICE comes on and if I'm going downhill at 80+ with my foot off the gas the ICE will stop until I hit the gas pedal again (hill has to be large to maintain 80 going downhill due to wind drag). I believe the programming thinks 80+ on electric only isn't enough for the electric motors (they are reaching their top speed limit. Just like a Tesla p100d will out run a Charger/Challenger hellcat in the 1/4 mile, the Hellcat has way more top speed than the Tesla will ever have.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page