Jekayla EVSE - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Jekayla EVSE

Was looking for an EVSE for home use. I don't really need all the wifi, monitoring, scheduling, etc. that some of nicer ones have. So, I was looking around and found the Jekayla EVSE. They seem to be the OEM that makes them for other companies like Mustart and others. I did read where the J1772 plug is a snug fit, but that is the only negative I have found about it. I also just noticed they have a 2019 version that looks to be resigned. Has anyone tried the 2019 version or the older one on the van and found it to fit to snug? Any reason not to use a portable EVSE everyday instead of something like a wall mounted JuiceBox if you don't need all the bells and whistles?

Jekayla EVSE 2019 version
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 PM

The charger is actually in the car.
The EVSE is actually just a control unit that communicates with the car to set the cars charger current level. It EVSE does contain safety sensing just like a ground fault isolator (GFI) There is no reason to buy a more expensive unit. Note there is no difference in electrical efficiency since that is totally dependant on the car's internal charger.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:28 PM

Portable charger use every day is fine . Probably better for your battery due to lower heating of battery and charger in the car.

For home unit get a Siemens Versicharge . I just installed one . These are cheap on ebay. The quality is good and has adjustable current 32A , 24A, 16A, 8A on 240V

You can get these for around $320 and are safe to use.

Dont trust the China stuff to be complaint to safety standards.
Most do not pass the diod test or short test.
The charger is a GFCI and makes sure there is no power applied when car is not ready for power . And should cut the power in case of internal short.
The charger also makes sure the contractor inside is not faulted ( welded contacts) . Which would be dangerous to you in case of working in rain.
Better play it safe.
Go with a proven solution

Also the Pacifica factory charger can do 240V at 12A with a simple adapter = 6h charge time. That is your cheapest option and is safe. The pacifica charger is good quality and can do 120V or 240V charging no problem . Same as the newer Volt chargers.
The adapter to go from 240V plug to 120V plug will set you back ~$30..$40
RC Mike and PacDave like this.

Last edited by kawal; 06-25-2019 at 01:36 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Got my 14-50 outlet installed today. The 2019 version of the Jekayla Level 2 40 Amp Portable Electric Vehicle Charger should be here next week. The older version has good reviews and if you include the Mustart one that is just a branded Jekayla then it has hundreds of reviews. So, hoping the 2019 version works pretty good.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:17 PM

Check this review out
It checks all the functions of the charger type you mention. Sure there is a lot of reviews but never compromise safety . At the end insurance will blame you if something happens while using a non UL listed device.
Cant add link so look for jT8IsAd9ea0 on youtube or (Aliexpress 32A (7kW) portable EV chargers ( EVSE ) Zencar, Khons)

Yes they work and yes they are almost as safe as the brand names. But they are not tested to meet UL requirements. Some even have a UL symbol and CE symbol but without the reference number it means nothing other than they are cheating on the safety testing.

You will in the end most likely be fine but these are serious power devices and fires could be caused easily .

Last edited by kawal; 06-27-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: link
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Jekayla appears to make the Zencar and Mustart EVSE or at least some of them. And, on Amazon they both are UL listed with a number. I don't know if the Jekayla I ordered will be UL listed or not. I will look for it when I get it.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emedlin View Post
Jekayla appears to make the Zencar and Mustart EVSE or at least some of them. And, on Amazon they both are UL listed with a number. I don't know if the Jekayla I ordered will be UL listed or not. I will look for it when I get it.
Good luck to you - I really doubt it is truly UL listed - but might be wrong (many examples of china product with fake UL/CE badges ). Check out the video the devices do not even comply to SAE J1772 which they claim they do. Diod test fails on most of these Amazon specials - even zencar model fail the test. In general i think they are OK build but you are entrusting your life and belongings to this stuff.

If the budget is tight use the factory charger on the 240V outlet . That will charge in 6h .

For example the UL file for the Versicharge is E348556 and you can find that it is truly tested to comply for the whole family of products that that company makes.
I looked up the Zencar UL file and that E364477 and its not for the charger but the plug that goes into the car. That is better than nothing.

ZHANGJIAGANG UCHEN NEW ENERGY TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD. E364477
No.999 Yongjin Rd, Miaoqiao
Tangqiao Town
Zhangjiagang, Jiangsu 215611 CHINA

Last edited by kawal; 06-27-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawal View Post
Check this review out
It checks all the functions of the charger type you mention. Sure there is a lot of reviews but never compromise safety . At the end insurance will blame you if something happens while using a non UL listed device.
Cant add link so look for jT8IsAd9ea0 on youtube or (Aliexpress 32A (7kW) portable EV chargers ( EVSE ) Zencar, Khons)

Yes they work and yes they are almost as safe as the brand names. But they are not tested to meet UL requirements. Some even have a UL symbol and CE symbol but without the reference number it means nothing other than they are cheating on the safety testing.

You will in the end most likely be fine but these are serious power devices and fires could be caused easily .

This KHONS EVSE has only one review, but it is detailed and believable.

I still remain a fan of OpenEVSE. This is a reasonable priced US product and it is open sourced- you know what is inside both in hardware and software and can be confident in absence of behind the scene shenanigans- like not implemented diode or ground checks, or cheap overheating contactor and wiring.
m0ebius604 and PacDave like this.

*** 2019 Hybrid Limited ***
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 06:32 PM

I agree OpenEVSE is a good product with proven testing practices. I would not be afraid to use that product especially if you want some of the advanced features like wifi and data collection.

But for a simple charger get a good commercial product not a wanna be product.

BTW I almost bought the Zen charger but then saw the review and it not meeting the SAE specs. who knows what else is missing. Got the Siemens charger and I am happy with it.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 10:36 PM

Kawal
Can you suggest a 240v to 120v adapter?
Thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page