AT&T hotspot in Canada Issue - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

AT&T hotspot in Canada Issue

I'm throwing this out there for any Canadians that may have used or tried their free 1GB trial of the AT&T wifi hotspot.

A few things i ran into were:

1) On a down side: Apparently it was giving my wifi hotspot an american based IP from what i can gather. I figured AT&T was using some form of Canadian carrier lines in Canada (Rogers, Telus, Bell, Etc) however quick test showed that when i opened Netflix for example on my phone or tablets it was providing me american content. When trying to play such content I would get the "You are using an unblocker, proxy or vpn and is not supported" error message. Putting two and two together the only thing i could figure out was that my geo-location on my phone was in Canada but i was using an american IP/DNS and this was causing the Netflix error. Im sure you can possibly get around this with a VPN back into canada or something. But figured I would note this. Not that you want to stream video services in your car on limited data plans but this could potentially cause other issues having an american based IP in a Canadian location.

2) On an up side: What i thought was fantastic is I just did a road trip through Washington state from BC and the hotspot was seamless crossing the border. And worked flawlessly down in Seattle with no additional costs. I never signed up for a monthly plan or provided any credit details but the wifi hotspot continued to work throughout our weekend adventure in the US. To have the ability of a working hotspot in the car while travelling in the US was very beneficial without having to buy an additional roaming package for our phones... If this is how the regular monthly plans are for the AT&T hotspots this is a huge bonus knowing it will continue to work in both the US and Canada for those of us that cross frequently.

3) I also tested using the hotspot to setup an Apple TV in the van for our apple devices to support airplay. This worked both with or without an active data connection as long as the hotspot was enabled in the car. I was able to use airplay and stream content between my phone and the ATV on the rear screens. However note that Netflix removed the ability to support airplay so that still did not work but movies using plex or videos taken on the phone etc worked no problem. I never tried all the video apps however. I would assume this would work for other devices like chromecast units or amazon devices. But i did not test.

Has anyone else tested the Wifi Hotspot capabilities in Canada and did you have different results or similar?

This was tested on my 2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited S

Cheers.

2016 Ford Focus Electric
2019 Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid Limited S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 AM

Data pricing is absurd , I have a american address and credit card and it’s 25 a month unlimited, the canadian cost is like 75 for 14 gbs. Unlimited data and hotspot is way to go but not in Canada .
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2019, 06:18 PM

Good to know you can connect apple tv to the rear screens, Thanks for sharing!

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited (S Package/HK speakers)
2019 Volvo XC40
2015 Nissan Versa Note
2010 Audi Q5 3.2L
2007 Audi A4
2006 Honda Civic
2004 Nissan 350z
2003 Hyundai Tiburon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page