Pacifica hybrid not using battery? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Question Pacifica hybrid not using battery?

I test drove a new Pacifica hybrid the other day. It's a 2018 - been sitting on the lot.

When I got in the car, it had 56 miles on it. Most of that (about 40 miles) was from the same day, as someone had driven it from another dealership for me to test drive. This was shown on the driving history.

The battery indicator on the console showed the battery as full.

The driving history showed 56 miles of driving on gas and 0 miles as driving on battery.

The average MPG shown on the console was about 17 mpg.

The 40 miles or so that it was driven that day would have been a mix of highway and stop-and-go.

I test drove it for a few miles (mostly stop and go with some short highway stretches). As I drove, the mileage driven on gas increased, but the mileage given on battery remained at 0. And the battery remained at 100%

Why does the car not seem to be using the battery?

I pointed it out to the sales person, but he had no idea.

And why is the average mpg only 17? I thought it was supposed to be much higher than that even if only using gas.

Is this car a lemon?

Thank you for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:25 PM

I'd stay pretty far away from that one.

The PacHy always runs off the battery first. If you're accelerating hard, the gas engine will kick in. There's no normal operating condition where the battery will display 100% charged and 0 range.

A 2018 has been on the dealer lot for at least 10-11 months, and possibly almost two years. With 40 of the 56 miles put on today, you know it wasn't driven more than once or twice in that time. That probably means both batteries (the 12V and the high-voltage) have been sitting unmaintained that entire time. That's really bad for them, and might easily explain what you experienced. With the HV battery being such a critical component, I'd not want to buy that van.

When I was shopping back in March, that's a good part of why I stopped looking at 2018s. Dealers just don't properly care for them--they're not accustomed to doing it and probably don't give it a second thought.

It's not good for any car to sit that long. Bad for the tires, fluids, oil, gas... Nothing good happens when a vehicle sits idle for a long time.

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:48 PM

It could also be doing the fuel and oil refresh mode since it sat for so long.
m0ebius604, RC Mike and Frig like this.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 05:29 PM

stay away from this car

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited (S Package/HK speakers)
2019 Volvo XC40
2015 Nissan Versa Note
2010 Audi Q5 3.2L
2007 Audi A4
2006 Honda Civic
2004 Nissan 350z
2003 Hyundai Tiburon
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaNewbie View Post
Why does the car not seem to be using the battery?
[snip]
And why is the average mpg only 17? I thought it was supposed to be much higher than that even if only using gas.
@adam3914 may well be right in that it is in fuel and oil refresh mode. This may because too much time has elapsed since new fuel was put in (this is certainly true), or because it hasn't been run in a while and it is trying to get rid of the moisture in the oil. If the former, it will exit this mode once the fuel level gets below 1/4 and you then put in fresh gas. If the latter then it won't exit the mode until the oil temperature has gotten up to somewhere around 190F (can't remember the exact number) for 15 minutes or so.

As for the average MPG, I have been tracking mine for almost two years and I get anywhere from 19 to 25 mpg when I divide the gas miles driven, as shown by the trip odometer, by the gallons of gas put in. If you include the electric miles obtained from hybrid regeneration or from external charging, I get between 190 and 300 miles per gallon of gas. This is because most of my driving is short trips, all on electric power, and I recharge at home using a level 2 charger. On longer trips where I don't have the opportunity to charge externally I get 30 to 34 miles per gallon, depending on the terrain and speed.

If you do buy this car be prepared for the 12 volt battery to die shortly after you get it. This has happened to quite a few people who bought cars that have sat on the lot for a while. The symptoms from a bad 12v battery vary widely, from just needing a jump start, to having to be towed because you can't get the shifter out of Park.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:00 PM

Does it display zero for the battery range when itís in FORM?

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Does it display zero for the battery range when itís in FORM?
No it doesn't, but that is not the way I interpret what the OP said. I think he was saying that the electric miles driven remained at zero, not the estimated electric range.
m0ebius604, arteitle and RC Mike like this.

2018 Molten Silver Pacifica Hybrid Limited purchased Nov 30, 2017.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBean View Post
No it doesn't, but that is not the way I interpret what the OP said. I think he was saying that the electric miles driven remained at zero, not the estimated electric range.
Youíre right. That makes a lot more sense. Iíve gotta learn to read a bit more closely.

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:42 PM

What does the display screen say for power on the ledge side of the cluster , are you in the gas or electric phase? You can tell when the van is in electric or ice mode or combination of the two . The feel of the transition is almost seamless but after owing one I can tell what’s doing what . If the van is freshly charged it should be as silent as can be. The refresh mode if driving in electric mode will display that cycle on the instrument cluster . i Wouldn’t say don’t touch it if dealer wants to unload it, I’d say that be prepared for maybe a few hurdles in beginning of ownership ( cost vs reward ) . Good luck
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies. It's very helpful. also, raises some questions which I'll put below.

It is a low price. about 32-33k.

Today I found another new 2018 hybrid at a dealership 2.5 hrs away from me. about same price. I called them and asked if they could take pics of the screen so I could see if this one had the same problem. they did.

I'll call this one hybrid#2. It has 44.8 miles (32.2 electric, 12.6 gas) So, that sounds more promising.

At the time they took the picture, the battery was at 32%. It showed a range of 94 miles (10 elec, 84 gas).

Does this mean the car can drive 10 miles on the remaining 32% battery? Would that compute to an electric range of about 31 miles on a full battery?

And the range of 84 gas? What does that mean? Is that how far it can drive with the gas currently in the tank? or on a full tank?

The MPG on the display was only 13 MPG though. I asked the sales person why he thought it was so low, and he said because they use it to drive across the street to another part of their dealership and back. Does that make sense?

As for hybrid#1, I will call that dealership (it is about 1.5 hrs away) and see if they can take pics of the screen too. This will give me more info.

Additional questions this thread brings up:

1. How is the MPG on the display calculated? gas only or combined? average over the history of the vehicle or something else?

2. Someone mentioned I should be prepared for the 12v battery to die. Is this jump started just like a regular car? Would one of those battery-pack-with-jumper-cable things work?

3. What does FORM mean?

4. what is ice mode?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page