My 9 Month Review - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy My 9 Month Review

I wanted to write about my experience with the Van so far. Being a Toyota and Lexus owner all my life I took their reliability for granted and their customer service. I live in the CA Bay area, so our cars are hardly stressed. My wife and I are both road warriors and drive on average 5000 miles a month between our three cars. We drive so often that we average replacing a car every 3 years.

I feel bad because I did my research and thought this car was the one for our family and convinced my wife this is the car for her. I did my research and spent countless hours test driving all the minivans out there back in October 2018. I even paid extra just to get the 2019 model so my wife would get the latest. I literally spent a full week testing everything on all the cars including having the sales person drive me while I sat in the back. What I could not have accounted for was the reliability of the product the moment it leaves the dealer, and what's worse is the lack of good dealerships to support the product. The only saving grace I have is that I bought the extended warranty even though I normally don't buy it with my other cars. Thank god all of this has been covered under warranty but the amount of time I have taken out of my normal routine has been a drag on me. I am at my whits end on this car.

Here are the summary of issues so far.

1. 254 miles, 3 days off the Dealer Lot. Car won't start and dash indicates "Service Transmission". Car needs to be towed in. Dealer reset computer code and it started working again. STAR case was opened and no one could provide me a root cause, they were so quick to mark the issues resolve and move on. Issue has not returned and it's been 9 months, but it still lingers in your mind if this car strands my wife and kids.

2. Good dealer support is hard to come by where I live. I live in a major Metro area and so luckily I have options, though further drives. My warranty experience has been with Stevens Creek CJDR mostly but the 3 within a 15 mile radius aren't any different. Dealer would keep your car and don't even call you to update you. I ended up every time having to call them and it always goes to voicemail. Even Chrysler Corporate made a comment about how hard it's been to reach them. I have phone records showing I called 20 times. I even called one time while at the dealer to see the phone ring while the staff just sit there and let it go to voicemail. I have to end up driving to them every day to get an update, luckily they are 3 miles away. It was the only way to keep issues moving forward. I got the sales people to help me and they told me it was a common experience with their service department, they even told me not to use them. I witnessed the service staff yelling at the sales guy when he tried to help me out.

A second dealer I also used, told me their only Hybrid guy got injured and he's 2 months out. Please call another dealer.

I posted on another thread about good dealers in the Bay Area and haven't gotten a response. I am really willing to drive up to 100 miles for a decent dealer.

3. Memory seat stops working. Turned out it was a loose cable below the chair.

4. Dashboard started de-laminating and forming large bubbles. It's covered under warranty but I am scared to create more issues since it's a pretty labor intensive task to replace the dash.

5. Check Engine light, Error code U0594. Called dealer and they said don't worry about it if it clears itself. Come in if it happens again.

6. Finicky with Chargers. Sometimes it doesn't want to charge with certain chargers or charging would randomly stop. Chargers would be used by other EV cars without issues.

7. UConnect doesn't save settings across starts. Tried multiple keys.

These random issues and the lack of good support is just so frustrating.

At this point I have no choice but to look at a lemon law attorney.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

BTW. I want to comment. One of the reasons I bought the Pacifica was that I was opening with the 2019 models all the bugs are worked out even though I saw a lot of bad threads on this forum. Every car manufacturer has issues, even Lexus has issues with their first year models. It's how customers are treated and how fast they can resolve your issues that really matter, It hasn't been the case at all for me.
pachynoob likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 06:27 PM

Sorry you are not happy with the car. But you have no prayer of a successful lemon law case in any state in the country. Itís not even close. You havenít lost any use of the car and you donít have any problems that substantially affect its utility, value, or safety. I suggest you google up the California lemon law and read through it - most are written in consumer friendly language.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong View Post
After you save the settings do you also reset the memory seats?

2019 Hybrid Limited Dusty Black, S Package, Advanced Safetytec, NO SUNROOF
☞ manufactured Weds 11/07/18 at 6PM, overcast with chance of rain
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frig View Post
Quote:
After you save the settings do you also reset the memory seats?
I did but now you triggered a thought process. Probably related my memory seats not returning issue that we thought we solved. Thanks!!!
Frig likes this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 02:10 PM

Quote:
I wanted to write about my experience with the Van so far. Being a Toyota and Lexus owner all my life I took their reliability for granted and their customer service. I live in the CA Bay area, so our cars are hardly stressed. My wife and I are both road warriors and drive on average 5000 miles a month between our three cars. We drive so often that we average replacing a car every 3 years.

I feel bad because I did my research and thought this car was the one for our family and convinced my wife this is the car for her. I did my research and spent countless hours test driving all the minivans out there back in October 2018. I even paid extra just to get the 2019 model so my wife would get the latest. I literally spent a full week testing everything on all the cars including having the sales person drive me while I sat in the back. What I could not have accounted for was the reliability of the product the moment it leaves the dealer, and what's worse is the lack of good dealerships to support the product. The only saving grace I have is that I bought the extended warranty even though I normally don't buy it with my other cars. Thank god all of this has been covered under warranty but the amount of time I have taken out of my normal routine has been a drag on me. I am at my whits end on this car.

Here are the summary of issues so far.

1. 254 miles, 3 days off the Dealer Lot. Car won't start and dash indicates "Service Transmission". Car needs to be towed in. Dealer reset computer code and it started working again. STAR case was opened and no one could provide me a root cause, they were so quick to mark the issues resolve and move on. Issue has not returned and it's been 9 months, but it still lingers in your mind if this car strands my wife and kids.

2. Good dealer support is hard to come by where I live. I live in a major Metro area and so luckily I have options, though further drives. My warranty experience has been with Stevens Creek CJDR mostly but the 3 within a 15 mile radius aren't any different. Dealer would keep your car and don't even call you to update you. I ended up every time having to call them and it always goes to voicemail. Even Chrysler Corporate made a comment about how hard it's been to reach them. I have phone records showing I called 20 times. I even called one time while at the dealer to see the phone ring while the staff just sit there and let it go to voicemail. I have to end up driving to them every day to get an update, luckily they are 3 miles away. It was the only way to keep issues moving forward. I got the sales people to help me and they told me it was a common experience with their service department, they even told me not to use them. I witnessed the service staff yelling at the sales guy when he tried to help me out.

A second dealer I also used, told me their only Hybrid guy got injured and he's 2 months out. Please call another dealer.

I posted on another thread about good dealers in the Bay Area and haven't gotten a response. I am really willing to drive up to 100 miles for a decent dealer.

3. Memory seat stops working. Turned out it was a loose cable below the chair.

4. Dashboard started de-laminating and forming large bubbles. It's covered under warranty but I am scared to create more issues since it's a pretty labor intensive task to replace the dash.

5. Check Engine light, Error code U0594. Called dealer and they said don't worry about it if it clears itself. Come in if it happens again.

6. Finicky with Chargers. Sometimes it doesn't want to charge with certain chargers or charging would randomly stop. Chargers would be used by other EV cars without issues.

These random issues and the lack of good support is just so frustrating.

At this point I have no choice but to look at a lemon law attorney.
Im in SF bay area as well and my experience with the one dealership I tried out for an issue with my '19 Pacifica is no different from @hqduong . They are unprofessional at best, dishonest or unethical in general perhaps. Getting them to acknowledge a problem itself is so hard, and getting it fixed takes it to another level. I will have to try out other dealerships for service, and from what i see here, there ain't much hope. What struck me was the courtesy and professionalism of the service departments of honda, toyota and others right across them on the same street, which is completely lacking over here.

The Pac is a really good van and I like it for all its features and safety and value, but at the same time very disappointing when it comes to servicing it. I hope I don't need to see these folks ever, but with the amount of electronics and gadgets on this car, your trusted and relatively honest (if there was one) local mechanic may not be of any help. I have no idea if Chrysler Corp can even do anything about these well entrenched dealerships, hard to believe they are still in business.
pachynoob likes this.

2019 Pacifica Touring+ with AdvSafetyTech Granite Ext
2007 Chrysler T&C
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPac19 View Post
Im in SF bay area as well and my experience with the one dealership I tried out for an issue with my '19 Pacifica is no different from @hqduong . They are unprofessional at best, dishonest or unethical in general perhaps. Getting them to acknowledge a problem itself is so hard, and getting it fixed takes it to another level. I will have to try out other dealerships for service, and from what i see here, there ain't much hope. What struck me was the courtesy and professionalism of the service departments of honda, toyota and others right across them on the same street, which is completely lacking over here.

The Pac is a really good van and I like it for all its features and safety and value, but at the same time very disappointing when it comes to servicing it. I hope I don't need to see these folks ever, but with the amount of electronics and gadgets on this car, your trusted and relatively honest (if there was one) local mechanic may not be of any help. I have no idea if Chrysler Corp can even do anything about these well entrenched dealerships, hard to believe they are still in business.
Sorry you guys don't have a decent dealer around you guys to deal with these headaches. I was almost going to buy one in the Bay Area because I couldn't find the price/combo I wanted in LA but finally bit the bullet with the one salesman who would actually respond to my texts and not want me to driver there to negoitiate I too took a chance with Chrysler after 10 wonderful years with a Honda Odyssey which i still sometimes miss because of the the ergonomics and thoughtfulness of the interior layout. Rather than wait for a lemon law case you might just want to sell it now while your still in 19 as there seems to be a shortage of these vans at the moment. I had quite the opposite experience and the dealership which blew my mind and made me give all 5s in the review.

I went in for my complimentary oil change (at around 1k) I was told I don't need to make an appt because they have an 'express' area where you just drive up like jiffy lube and they do it while you wait. I was skeptical and gave myself a 45 min window to get it done in case there was someone in front of me or it just takes that long. I drove in, there was a bay open- and the tech asked me for my cell no so he could reach me when it was done. I also asked him to check the uconnect software for the latest update and he said 'no problem'. I took 5 mins to go to the waiting area and started to check my emails. In a bout 3min I get a text saying my car is ready! : ) Omg I felt like I won the lottery! For a dealership to actually get something done faster than I expected for a gratis service was amazing. In our busy schedules when a vendor actually does something faster than u expect and gives you an hour of your time back I really get happy. I profusely thanked the tech and gave him a glowing review. If this is any indication of the level of service there I will definitely take my car back! Also,
my salesman noticed before I left the dealership on purchase day that my reg battery was low and changed it out while I was signing papers so that I wouldn't be stranded on my camping trip the next week : ) So service and sales can be very different from place to place they are all independent. This one is Rydell CDJR
in San Fernando if you're ever down this way. Another option is there is a Chrysler care rep lurking on the forums I have seen them respond to some other threads you can probably find it without to much effort and pm her to escalate your case! Good luck and I hope your car treats you better!
craig likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:04 AM

Have had ours for a year and about 15k miles. Other than the catalytic converter being replaced due to the software issue, it has been great. Sliding door was acting a bit wierd, dealer fixed it in an hour visit.

I would buy it again without hesitation.

Had a Buick Terazza before this. That vehicle was a total lemon.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pachynoob View Post
Sorry you guys don't have a decent dealer around you guys to deal with these headaches. I was almost going to buy one in the Bay Area because I couldn't find the price/combo I wanted in LA but finally bit the bullet with the one salesman who would actually respond to my texts and not want me to driver there to negoitiate I too took a chance with Chrysler after 10 wonderful years with a Honda Odyssey which i still sometimes miss because of the the ergonomics and thoughtfulness of the interior layout. Rather than wait for a lemon law case you might just want to sell it now while your still in 19 as there seems to be a shortage of these vans at the moment. I had quite the opposite experience and the dealership which blew my mind and made me give all 5s in the review.

I went in for my complimentary oil change (at around 1k) I was told I don't need to make an appt because they have an 'express' area where you just drive up like jiffy lube and they do it while you wait. I was skeptical and gave myself a 45 min window to get it done in case there was someone in front of me or it just takes that long. I drove in, there was a bay open- and the tech asked me for my cell no so he could reach me when it was done. I also asked him to check the uconnect software for the latest update and he said 'no problem'. I took 5 mins to go to the waiting area and started to check my emails. In a bout 3min I get a text saying my car is ready! : ) Omg I felt like I won the lottery! For a dealership to actually get something done faster than I expected for a gratis service was amazing. In our busy schedules when a vendor actually does something faster than u expect and gives you an hour of your time back I really get happy. I profusely thanked the tech and gave him a glowing review. If this is any indication of the level of service there I will definitely take my car back! Also,
my salesman noticed before I left the dealership on purchase day that my reg battery was low and changed it out while I was signing papers so that I wouldn't be stranded on my camping trip the next week : ) So service and sales can be very different from place to place they are all independent. This one is Rydell CDJR in San Fernando if you're ever down this way. Another option is there is a Chrysler care rep lurking on the forums I have seen them respond to some other threads you can probably find it without to much effort and pm her to escalate your case! Good luck and I hope your car treats you better!
I just did an Internet search on Rydell in San Fernando, and the Google reviews are full of compliments. It sounds like you found one of the good dealerships. Thanks for reporting this here.

Too bad so many of us have to deal with the turkeys.
pachynoob likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica Limited Billet Silver, AST, 20" wheels (build date 1-25-18)
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude V6 FWD Eco Green

Past . . .
2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L, 2003 Mazda MPV, 1997 Odyssey,
1999 Accord, 1994 Accord, 1988 Accord . . .
. . . and others in the 'way back machine!
. . . First new car:
1962 Plymouth Valiant
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amphicar770 View Post
Have had ours for a year and about 15k miles. Other than the catalytic converter being replaced due to the software issue, it has been great. Sliding door was acting a bit wierd, dealer fixed it in an hour visit.

I would buy it again without hesitation.

Had a Buick Terazza before this. That vehicle was a total lemon.
That’s also another good point. You can have issues but it’s how the dealers treat you!!! Issues do happen, but I haven’t been able to find a decent Northern California Dealer. It’s amazing to me that the dealers around here stay in business. They should love the warranty work because they are getting paid book rate from the manufacturer. Businesses need to adapt or they will be the past.

Look at Uber, the Taxi companies could have grouped together and start a similar app, but instead they want to protect their way of business. People chose Uber because the experience was much more positive. There is some truth in what Elon says about car dealerships and this is a great example. Sure it hasn’t materialize, but it’s just a matter of time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page