Open Pilot - Self Driving Pacifica - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 55Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Open Pilot - Self Driving Pacifica

Hi everyone,

I thought that I would share my experience with installing Open Pilot in my 2017 Pacifica Hybrid. I've been intrigued by self-driving technology and always hoped the standard lane keep assist (LKAS) would have been better in my Pacifica. I've been doing some research on the subject, and decided to give Open Pilot a chance.

Here is a video of my setup:

Everything was purchased from: Comma.ai

I purchased:
  • EON Dev Kit
  • FCA Giraffe
  • Panda

So far it's working very well. I've noticed it performs much better on the highway than surface roads. It's much better than the standard LKAS. It also looks like they provide regular updates. It was not hard to do at all and anyone with some basic technical experience will be able to do it without issue. If anyone has any questions about my setup or how it performs, I would be happy to assist.
stop-eject, mark, ValXp and 3 others like this.

2017 PacHy - Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat w/sunroof
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:50 PM

Why?
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 06:57 PM

Have you given any thought to the liability that youíre exposing yourself to?

2019 Pacifica Hybrid Limited

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Mike View Post
Have you given any thought to the liability that you’re exposing yourself to?
That is my point exactly as to asking WHY?

The Pacifcia was not engineered or designed for this. While I am an IT Professional, I would NEVER do this due to the liability, or potentially killing myself, or someone else, or their kids. Then public documentation of this? Plus it is open-source software. What security measures are in place to make sure someone does not screw with it?

While driving I DO care about the others on the road and realize they are Grandparents, Moms, Dads, and Children. They depend on me just as much as I depend on them. I want to make it home at the end of the day.

I saw another video of someone else doing this on YouTube with the people in the front acting like idiots waving their hands in the air all over the place. (just shook head)

If it was this easy the Waymo Pacifica would not look the way it does.
RC Mike likes this.

Last edited by ThisSuckersElectrical; 08-04-2019 at 07:43 PM.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Open Pilot - Self Driving Pacifica

To each their own, right? I understand expressing your own opinion to not do this yourself for your own reasons, so long as you respect my opinion for using this technology in a safe and responsible way.

I am still responsible for the control of the vehicle. I see this as a driver assistance feature and not something that I will ever use irresponsibly. I see it as no different than using my adaptive cruise control. Im ready to take over at any time because I understand the limitations of the system and that anything can happen. What is the liability when someone is using their ACC and they have an accident? Iím no lawyer, but I think they would be at fault regardless if they caused the accident.

Iím a fan of technology and exploring the potential in automation in our lives. I think itís exciting to see what this car can do and I will continue to explore, responsibly.

Thank you for comments and concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark, ValXp, PacDave and 1 others like this.

Last edited by smity84; 08-04-2019 at 07:41 PM.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:50 PM

You can say to each their own, but youíre sharing the road with others and risking their lives, too. Iím an attorney, and canít imagine ever being willing to take on the kind of risk youíre assuming. Beyond lives, youíre putting your financial future at risk, too. Have you asked your insurance company if your policy is valid while using this?

post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smity84 View Post
What is the liability when someone is using their ACC and they have an accident?
The system was designed and engineered by the manufacturer, D.O.T approved, and hands-on the wheel in full control. The liability escalates when one claims to know more about the vehicle than the manufacture and self-driving technology. I would highly recommend you consult an attorney and they will enlighten you.

Good luck with your ventures into this.
RC Mike likes this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSuckersElectrical View Post
That is my point exactly as to asking WHY?

The Pacifcia was not engineered or designed for this. While I am an IT Professional, I would NEVER do this due to the liability, or potentially killing myself, or someone else, or their kids. Then public documentation of this? Plus it is open-source software. What security measures are in place to make sure someone does not screw with it?

While driving I DO care about the others on the road and realize they are Grandparents, Moms, Dads, and Children. They depend on me just as much as I depend on them. I want to make it home at the end of the day.

I saw another video of someone else doing this on YouTube with the people in the front acting like idiots waving their hands in the air all over the place. (just shook head)

If it was this easy the Waymo Pacifica would not look the way it does.
In my opinion this just seems like an upgrade to the factory adaptive cruise control that offers better precision in the way it reacts. Neither system is designed to be a hands off system. The ultimate responsibility is in the hands of the driver.
smity84, mark, isiders and 1 others like this.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 06:22 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacDave View Post
In my opinion this just seems like an upgrade to the factory adaptive cruise control that offers better precision in the way it reacts. Neither system is designed to be a hands off system. The ultimate responsibility is in the hands of the driver.

I agree. Itís an after market advanced driving assistance feature. I am still responsible for the vehicle. To compare this system to the Waymo Pacifica is ridiculous. That vehicle navigates much more complex driving, such as stopping at intersections and interacting with other traffic and pedestrians. At best, Openpilot can maintain its lane (within limits). Iím aware of its limitations and will drive accordingly.

I did accept some advice and have reached out to my insurer. Iím curious if this modification has any implications to my liability. Iíll update the post when I hear back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark likes this.

post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-05-2019, 08:59 AM

Your insurance agent will only be able to tell you about whether or not your policy covers it. Civil liability extends beyond that question.

I love technology and gadgets, too. There are great things on the horizon. To retrofit a 5,000lbs van with a famous hackerís attempt to get in on the VC land rush into vehicle automation is going a bit out on a limb. Any accident you get in will immediately draw scrutiny from all parties involved, whether it has anything to do with the system or not. Imagine how it plays out in front of a juryóa cheap Android phone the you wired into your van yourself, with software thatís beta-quality, from an iPhone-hacker? Particularly after you make videos about it and post them, in which you make safety assessments without any real basis for your conclusions?

Iím just presenting some things that Iíd consider. Everything is always great until software/hardware isnít up to the task we ask of it. Itís easy to say youíre in control, but the reality is that our vans have electricity operated steering and drive-by-wire throttles. Iím not sure if the brakes are a direct linkage, but I kind of doubt it given the blending of regenerative braking involved. All of that integrates systems together that have been heavily tested individually and tested by Chrysler. Youíre introducing a variable that Chrysler never tested, never intended the system to integrate with, and that very likely has little to no formal testing by anyone.

Do you actually know what youíre doing, or are you just a guy that bought it because itís interesting to you?

Tags
comma , open pilot , self driving

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page