Just got our new Pacifica a week ago - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Just got our new Pacifica a week ago

Hi folks,

Just wanted to announce the arrival of our new Pacifica! We took it home around a week ago. We got a Touring L Plus, in Velvet Red, with a few options: Advanced Safety Package, Trailer towing package, U-Connect Nav, and Inflatable spare tire.

In short, I must say that it is pretty awesome. My last car was a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan (purchased new) and it served our family well. This baby should do even better. The luxury and safety features appear to be first class - Chrysler has done a really fine job at making this vehicle "world class", not just "the next version of the same 'ol thing. Fit and finish is perfect. Performance is very impressive. The dashboard, including the dual displays and 'analog' controls is fantastic. I'm really impressed. And of course my favorite feature and the reason I would never buy any competitor - the Stow-and-Go. The 'assist' feature is excellent and the 'new' 'Stow' mechanism is a tremendous improvement on a somewhat awkward 'motion' from the earlier models.

I will participate in this forum to help answer questions and maybe ask some myself.. There is so much to comment on and ask about.

Thanks!

-David

Last edited by dbaron; 06-15-2016 at 12:39 AM. Reason: forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Congratulations! We'd love to see some pics!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:27 PM

Garage
Congratulations. What color interior? Do you trust the brake assist 100% or does it make you a little nervous that it may not work when needed?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

The interior is the black alloy, I think they call it. The dashboard and flooring is black, while the seats are 'alloy', i.e., light gray. I really think it is pretty nice actually. The 'craftmanship' on the upholstery seems top notch at this point.

As for the break assist, I don't know yet. I can tell you that when I pull into my garage, the 'parking assist' goes haywire. There is very little clearance on the 'wall edge' when I enter the garage, i.e., the front right bumper comes very close to hitting the corner of the garage opening. Then, As I pull forward, the front sensors pick up the outside refrigerator we have, and which I get to with 8 inches or so... and so it goes all the way to 'three bars', with full 'tone' . It's a good thing that I have mastered the entire maneuver with my last minivan, so that I only have to suffer for a few seconds. I wish there was a way to fine tune the sensitivity, but I have not found that yet, and besides, in the 'right' circumstances it will protect me.

The 'Lane departure' thing is quite amazing actually, and truly works. I tested it by driving out of my lane a bit (nobody near me on the road) and then taking my hands off the wheel. It beeped, lit up and then took control of the wheel, putting me back into the center of my Lane and keeping me there, and then telling me to take hold of the wheel. Very smart. The only downside of the feature is that when driving around some places, I purposely 'cut corners' at times, and the car 'fights' me when doing so. It is a 'small' fight, but notable none the less. All in all, I am very glad I have this feature.

-David
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:19 PM

I was actually going to ask about the lane departure thing. But you've definitely answered my questions lol.

Glad to see you're enjoying it though, and that interior colour combo must be a pleasure to look at. Contrasting seats are always prime and classy !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 08:51 AM

I agree with David that Lane Departure is pretty amazing but after mine nudges me back towards the center of the lane it doesn't keep me centered in any way. On a very flat road I overshoot the center continuing on to the opposite painted lane line where, again, it nudges me back towards center. So I'm going down the road (at more than 37 miles per hour according to the owners manual) but acting like a ping pong ball left to right, haha! If I were to keep this behavior going I am pretty sure it would earn me a sobriety test. I haven't tried this on a curved road yet but suspect I will keep bumping the same painted lane line until the road straightens out and my ping pong game resumes. It does its job though and does it well.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettP View Post
I agree with David that Lane Departure is pretty amazing but after mine nudges me back towards the center of the lane it doesn't keep me centered in any way. On a very flat road I overshoot the center continuing on to the opposite painted lane line where, again, it nudges me back towards center. So I'm going down the road (at more than 37 miles per hour according to the owners manual) but acting like a ping pong ball left to right, haha! If I were to keep this behavior going I am pretty sure it would earn me a sobriety test. I haven't tried this on a curved road yet but suspect I will keep bumping the same painted lane line until the road straightens out and my ping pong game resumes. It does its job though and does it well.
Yeah, that would be a separate feature. I believe the Pacifica system is just LDW (Lane Departure Warning) and LKA (Lane Keeping Assist, i.e., keeping you in the lane. Some systems may have LCA (Lane Centering Assist). I personally worked on the development of some of these systems (but not the Chrysler one) and lane centering is much harder than the other two.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 06:31 PM

I'm a little jealous of you getting to work on those lane assist systems, Daniel. In college, feedback control systems was my EE minor so I've always had a love for computerized PID control. There's been such an explosion of tech in cars lately it seems like a great place to be working. I've developed some automotive electronics myself. About 12 years ago I sold a pretty good OBD tester on the Internet and it was among the first to support CAN bus. In those days my OBD software was running on a Palm Pilot, haha.

LDW / LKA / LCA seems like the logical progression toward driverless cars. I like to drive so I'm somewhat conflicted as to how driverless I want cars to become but am definitely having fun with the level of driver assist I'm finding in the Pacifica.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

I should clarify my 'Lane centering' comment a bit... it actually is just like what Brett said - upon 'drifting too far to the right' it brings me back to going 'to the left'... and without taking the wheel (just for a test) I began drifting too far to the left, so, it ping-pong'd me back towards the right. It did not 'keep me centered' as I implied. Hope that helps...
-David
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-19-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaron View Post
I should clarify my 'Lane centering' comment a bit... it actually is just like what Brett said - upon 'drifting too far to the right' it brings me back to going 'to the left'... and without taking the wheel (just for a test) I began drifting too far to the left, so, it ping-pong'd me back towards the right. It did not 'keep me centered' as I implied. Hope that helps...
-David
I think I've already grown accustomed to it and really like the way it was designed to behave (LDW+LKA) and plan to leave it on, set to middle torque. I have to admit that I don't like when it gives me "the nudge" as it just confirms that at that particular moment I could have been a better driver. I certainly don't need my car siding with my wife!!

I don't think the ping pong behavior will ever occur in real life.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page