7 seat vs 8 seat - Why ? Whats your reasoning ? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

7 seat vs 8 seat - Why ? Whats your reasoning ?

This is from previous Safetytec thread and don't want it to distract from that discussion, so here is new one to find out what is big difference between 7 seat vs 8 seat. How big is difference between 8 seat and 7 seat ? We never had 8 seat vehicle prior to this and want to know how much difference it is between two with regards to Pacifica. One advantage we had with Odyssey was the sliding middle row seats so it was easier to get in and out in Ody with 7 seats. People who have 7 seats vs 8 seats in their Pacifica, do you miss anything out ?
One thing that I came to know from others is if you go with 8 seat you cannot get Sunroof.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:54 AM

8 seater loses sunroof and inner armrests on 2nd row seats. If you take the seat out you have the attachments in the floor vs 7 seater doesn't have them at all.

My reasoning for the 8th seat? It's a van. I bought it for more seats and have used the 8th more often than I thought I would.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

I didn't think we would use the 8th seat very often, but got it so we'd have the option if the need did arise. As it turns out, my 3 kids much prefer to all sit in the second row so that nobody has to climb into the back when we're just driving around town. So now we use the 8th seat every day.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:39 PM

Garage
Same as the general, my 3 kids all sit in the middle row. Sometimes we leave the 3rd row flat, just more room for stroller and groceries.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 02:44 PM

My rationale: 8th seat gives you a console for the kids - two drink holders and a storage spot. Much more useful than having a space of nothingness between the two seats.
mjoshi likes this.

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 05:26 PM

I want easy access to the third row so 7 seats was what we did. Kids aren't old enough to flip the seats up themselves, and they both have car seats which make it even harder. We don't need 7 seats, let alone 8, so I'd rather have the awesome sunroof, easy stow and go, and easy third row access. If we have a 5th person, they sit in the middle of the back, child or adult. My mil cant get in the back if we pop the captain forward (she wants to sit with the kids not in the front). Recently we've stowed the captain behind the passenger and had one kid behind the driver and one in the third row behind the passenger. Having that huge opening is so nice! Doubt I'd do that if I had to deal with the console, but maybe. Multiple times ive flattened the whole cargo area and not dealing with wrangling the extra seat out is awesome. Really depends what you need it for. For us it's an SUV with sliding doors.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaJohn View Post
My rationale: 8th seat gives you a console for the kids - two drink holders and a storage spot. Much more useful than having a space of nothingness between the two seats.
Interesting, So people who go with 7 seat - what exactly is in center ? I mean is there a storage space in center where center seat goes ? Or if you go with 8 seats then only you get that option ?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post
Interesting, So people who go with 7 seat - what exactly is in center ? I mean is there a storage space in center where center seat goes ? Or if you go with 8 seats then only you get that option ?
In the 7 seat version there is nothing between the seats:

In the 8 seat version you can flip down the middle seat for an arm rest with cupholders.

mjoshi likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick0212 View Post
In the 7 seat version there is nothing between the seats:

In the 8 seat version you can flip down the middle seat for an arm rest with cupholders.

The picture shows exactly what I eschewed the sunroof for the 8th seat. I posted in another thread that my perfect combo would be the sunroof and the console, no actual 8th seat, just the console - a true 7 passenger but with the storage and usability of the cup holders plus the very cool sunroof.
Functionality won out in my decision on the 8th seat and I am very happy with it.
John

2019 Pacifica Limited - Luxury White. Alloy/Black

Previous:
2005, 2008, 2015 Odyssey,
2017 Pacifica Limited - Tusk/Mocha
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-09-2017, 07:15 AM

POV from someone with two kids:

We prefer a 7 seat configuration so we can access the third row through the middle. Our two kids are in car seats, one rear facing and one forward facing. The rear facing seat effectively blocks access from whatever side it's installed on. The tilt forward feature on the passenger side that allows access to the third row with a front facing car seat installed only works if you're using the latch anchors. The weight of the front facing seat + my daughter is near the top of the weight range for using the latch anchors, so we knew it wouldn't be long before we'd have to switch to using the seat belt. At that point, the only way to access the third row without removing a car seat is to go in front of the forward facing car seat and through the middle. If I slide the front passenger seat forward by pressing the stow-n-go button, I can even get access to the rear through the middle while my daughter is strapped into her car seat.

We thought about buying the 8-seater and storing the center seat in the garage until some time we find a use for it. Obviously, that gives you extra flexibility. But we didn't like the fact that the 2nd row seats don't have a center armrest with the center seat removed. That and the sunroof tilted us in favor of the 7-seater. We didn't care all that much about the sunroof and we don't use often, but we're getting more use out of it than we would have the 8th seat.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page