Navigation option and how useful it is on Touring L Plus ? - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Navigation option and how useful it is on Touring L Plus ?

Hi,
I want to know opinion of people who have Pacifica with Navigation. How good is navigation on Pacifica compared to apps like Waze or Google Maps ? I've Navigation in my Acura but most of time I prefer using Waze over what I've in my Acura.
TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 07:07 PM

Judging from my experience with the NAV, and being unfamiliar with Waze I'd say you'll probably prefer Waze (I've heard good things about it). I'm not a big fan of the NAV system and in hindsight I should have spent $100-$150 for a new Garmin NUVI (LTM & Traffic) to replace my old one that died.

<
gory likes this.

2017 Pacifica Touring-L, Red Velvet/alloy seats,
8.4 Uconnect, Added NAV. Ordered Late Nov,
Built 12/15/16 - Took delivery 12/21/16
in Michigan
Previous Vans-06 T&C, 08 T&C, 11 T&C,
14 T&C

2008 electric golf cart (Club Car) to get
around the community

Last edited by CentralFla; 05-18-2017 at 07:09 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-18-2017, 11:13 PM

The navigation system in the Pacifica is better than average for automotive systems, but there is no automotive system (built-in or add-on) as good as Google Maps or Waze.

Whether the UConnect Nav is good enough or not depends on how often you use it and what you use it for. I live where traffic is usually the biggest factor in route planning and I value truly real-time up-to-date traffic over any other aspect of navigation performance. I love the crowd-sourcing aspect of Waze but let's face it, it's really a data collection and adware platform. If there were a "pro" or "premium" version that you could pay for and avoid the data collection and ads, I would pay for it. I find Google Maps to be less offensive in that respect (or perhaps just more subtle), and it uses crowd-sourced traffic data from Waze, so that is my go-to navigation app.

The built-in UConnect Nav will get you to your destination, but it won't necessarily get you there as quickly and efficiently. The traffic info that it obtains from radio is not as current, time estimates are not as accurate, it sometimes takes you on odd routes or makes you backtrack, it's database will become out of date over time and you'll have to pay to update it. Compared to my phone, the navigation map display is sparser and less informative at an equivalent zoom level, and panning and zooming the map is pretty slow and unresponsive. Voice command recognition is better than most automotive systems I've tried, but it still falls short of Google or Apple or even Samsung.

The only advantages of the built-in navigation system are the ability to show driving directions in the middle of the instrument cluster, which is nice, and you don't need to find a spot for a phone mount.
gory and mjoshi like this.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red MC View Post
The navigation system in the Pacifica is better than average for automotive systems, but there is no automotive system (built-in or add-on) as good as Google Maps or Waze.

Whether the UConnect Nav is good enough or not depends on how often you use it and what you use it for. I live where traffic is usually the biggest factor in route planning and I value truly real-time up-to-date traffic over any other aspect of navigation performance. I love the crowd-sourcing aspect of Waze but let's face it, it's really a data collection and adware platform. If there were a "pro" or "premium" version that you could pay for and avoid the data collection and ads, I would pay for it. I find Google Maps to be less offensive in that respect (or perhaps just more subtle), and it uses crowd-sourced traffic data from Waze, so that is my go-to navigation app.

The built-in UConnect Nav will get you to your destination, but it won't necessarily get you there as quickly and efficiently. The traffic info that it obtains from radio is not as current, time estimates are not as accurate, it sometimes takes you on odd routes or makes you backtrack, it's database will become out of date over time and you'll have to pay to update it. Compared to my phone, the navigation map display is sparser and less informative at an equivalent zoom level, and panning and zooming the map is pretty slow and unresponsive. Voice command recognition is better than most automotive systems I've tried, but it still falls short of Google or Apple or even Samsung.

The only advantages of the built-in navigation system are the ability to show driving directions in the middle of the instrument cluster, which is nice, and you don't need to find a spot for a phone mount.

Thank you, I will save my $695 for something better in that case as that is one of option on Touring L Plus.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoshi View Post
Thank you, I will save my $695 for something better in that case as that is one of option on Touring L Plus.
Does HD radio matter to you? The only way to get the HD radio is to purchase the UConnect 8.4 w/ Nav. Even if you decide to add Nav later you will not get the HD radio.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 12:59 PM

Tesla like navi :)

"The only advantages of the built-in navigation system are the ability to show driving directions in the middle of the instrument cluster, which is nice, and you don't need to find a spot for a phone mount."

I agree to the above. The instruction in the instrument cluster is more like Tesla and very useful when you have a lot of other things may going in (phone call, text, ...) at the same time you want to know if you need to exit the freeway

I love the speed limit warning (and customizable) on every street. Again, this is more driving the Tesla

Maybe one negative point is that the map is not that colorful and the 3D map is no way near 3D rendering...

However, it's still the better navigation than my previous luxury cars (2009, 2013).

FYI, I have a Touring and just paid $595 + tax ($650) to open up the nav myself. I use to have navi in my driving experience so it's worth the money ..

YMMV
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-19-2017, 08:22 PM

Garage
I have a touring L plus and didn't really care about getting NAV, but since it came with the HD radio, I felt it was acceptable. PLUS, my wife can use it since she finds it easier to use than Google nav (Im still wrapping my head around that one). There ARE some benefits like having the turn directions displayed on the dash in front of you and having the voice nav come on only on your speaker in front of you. That is a nice touch. Google Nav will only air what the nav is saying if you had it on bluetooth.
gory likes this.

Father of thing 1, thing 2, thing 3, thing 4 is getting a minivan.
2017 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L Plus with Tow, Advance Safety, 8 passenger, Tire/wheel, and Nav.
*Ordered 1FEB and delivered 20MAR2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm never ever thought about HD radio option, so not sure if that is something useful to me or not. Also one more advantage based upon stock number on dealer lot between non-Nav and Nav unit seems to be that unit with NAV is built sometime in April whereas one without NAV is built sometime in March. Not sure if that is too big of a difference.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Okay one more question for people who already have Navigation, do you need to pay any subscription fees ? As per the spec sheet it says
SiriusXM Traffic / 5-Yr Traffic Subscription
SiriusXM® Travel Link 5-Yr Travel Link Sub

What is this ? Does this means it comes with 5 years of Sirius XM Radio subscription ? I've Sirius XM in my Acura and use it regularly but that is annual subscription.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-20-2017, 07:25 PM

Garage
The posts so far have covered all the things I would have agreed with. It's better than my old Odyssey nav but still not better than my Garmin nav. The main benefits are the integration with the car, central display and voice over speakers. Definitely more convenient and less clutter than having a phone or external GPS sitting somewhere around your dash. Voice commands are still limited but ok when you can remember the correct commands. I have a PacHy and unfortunately I don't know what you would be gaining or missing out on by not having it. To complicate things even more, I'm in Canada, so I there's probably even more stuff I'm missing out on.

* Geez guys, finish your location and signature w model!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DRIVING - 17 Pacifica Hybrid Platinum CDN Granite Grey, Chargepoint EVSE & 240V OEM, Full WeatherTech Sunroof Deflector + Mats, Front MOPAR Mudflaps, Winter RWC 17" + MOPAR TPMS + Michelin Xi2
SOLD - 08 Honda Odyssey Touring White no PAX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page