Guys vs Girls - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
View Poll Results: Who is the primary driver of your Pacifica?
Guys 63 71.59%
Girls 25 28.41%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

37Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 06:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Guys vs Girls

How many guys are the primary driver of the Pacifica? I have always driven SUV’s primarily. Most recently a 2008 Jeep Commander with a 5.7 Liter Hemi and before that I had 2 Ford Expeditions, Jeep Wrangler, etc. My wife has driven minivans in the past (over 20 years ago). My Jeep Commander was totaled recently in a Hail Storm. I went to the dealership looking to purchase a Jeep Grand Cherokee or Ram truck. I saw the Pacifica and it had everything I needed with gas mileage considerably better than the 17 mpg I was accustomed to. My wife drives our 2012 Dodge Charger R/T Road and Track and I claimed the Pacifica as my daily driver. I do catch grief from my friends for driving a minivan. I was wondering how many of you guys drive the Pacifica daily.
Longtimemopar likes this.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica LX “Eddie VAN Halen”
2012 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track “AR/TIE”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 07:32 AM

It’s my wife’s fifth minivan and her daily driver. My driving is limited to nights/weekends. I do enjoy driving it though.
Bodale and jimjam155 like this.

Brett
2017 Gas Pacifica Limited, Vel Red/Black/Alloy
Tow, Vac, Adv SafetyTec, UConnect Theater, 18" Wheels
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:24 AM

I've driven a minivan daily since 1989 (age 33) and we don't have kids. I never understood the minivan stigma. I guess some folks are more concerned about image than comfort, convenience and versatility. I smile when I see young moms and dads struggle to get their kids into SUV's while in parking lots. A sliding door would make things so much easier. If only they were not so hung up on being seen driving a minivan. BTW, my wife's daily driver is a Ford F-250. We need a truck for towing and she likes the higher ride height. I don't like driving the truck because it drives like a...... truck!

Enjoy the your Pacifica.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:46 AM

I'm the primary driver now, but my husband suggested getting our first minivan in the early 90s. No kids... he was just tired of hefting bicycles up on a roof rack, and this let us leave the bikes inside the car on vacations instead of bringing them into the hotel room. We've had a minivan ever since - holds everyone when visiting with family (sliding door helps with elderly parents as well as small children), hauls a ton of stuff, and with the Pacifica I'm getting such great mileage that we're planning to get rid of our small "commute car".
Waldo, Longtimemopar and sjambok like this.

2017 Jazz Blue Pacifica Hybrid Platinum
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:50 AM

Garage
I can't vote in this poll because my wife and I drive it as needed and it is probably around 50/50.
Bodale likes this.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 08:51 AM

As a guy, I went from a Lexus LS600HL to a Pacifica Hybrid... My wife said, "It's your car, buy whatever you want as long as I don't have to drive it."

She drives an RX450H... or at least she did . For some reason she keeps driving the van even when she has the choice of either!

Frankly, I made the leap because I could get something large and practical that wasn't ugly but now gets amazing MPG and is the largest plug-in PHEV you can buy. I was looking at Tesla's etc but needed something that could make a 2 hour jump between cities (which we do every week) and then be able to drive a good distance once we got there... Tesla couldn't cut it without stoping for 40 mins at a supercharger.

Once we started driving it, it's been amazing. Easy to get into, loads of space, a third row with actual room for humans, as many tech features as my Lexus, and many luxury touches. Yes it's not quite as smooth and quiet as the Lexus, but its 80-90% there..

Regarding the stigma, frankly I travel to Asia quite a bit and minivans are the typical limo around there. They are super nice, decked out with luxury (more so than in the USA) and there is no stigma whatsoever about them. This is what really swayed me. As well I feel that I've reached a point in my life where I don't care what people think of me as I go down the road... I could easily get a Porsche or a BMW to tool around in on the weekends but it's just not a priority right now. Before this, I've had BMW 7 series, Infinitis, a 300ZX twin-turbo, and an older Mercedes... They were nice cars, but the Pacifica is much more roomy.

Ultimately, I think this stigma will go away once we get closer to autonomous driving... when that day finally comes, people won't want cramped cars but living rooms on wheels.. hopefully this will make vans come back in style and be even more luxurious than the Pacifica.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid Limited in Cordovan (purchased April 2018)
  • Llumar Airblue 80 all around+windshield and sunroof except for driver and passenger side windows with CTX35 to match factory tint
  • DDM Tuning 55w Ultra CANBUS HID kit, 5500K for low beams, no relay harness, no bulb errors
  • NINEO Gen II CREE High Beam LED bulbs (9005), all tucked behind dustup
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  • NINEO Gen II CREE Fog Light LED Bulbs (H11)
  • VIOFO A129 Dual front and rear dashcam
  • AppleTV into HDMI
  • Navdy HUD
  • Juicebox 40A
  • Zencar adjustable 32A portable L2 charger with adapters
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 10:00 AM

Garage
My third minivan

I am 6' 5" and, while our Nissan Altima is comfortable enough, the Pac fits me very well. I drive it 90% of the time and my wife only drives it on long trips as the relief driver.

Besides it can:
-take grandkids in their seats with easy access
-fold down its seats (in fact they are down most of the time)
-carry plywood sheets if needed
-haul two bike racks inside with luggage
-get quite respectable gas mileage
-be fun to drive
-be a camper for me, if needed

It looks cool too. 'Nuf said?

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stow and go seating was a big selling feature because of the extra storage space when the seats are in the upright position. The ability to haul a full sheet of plywood ( My Jeep Commander was too narrow for this). 7 Passenger seating in a vehicle that gets 28 mpg. The Commander had about 10 inches or so behind the 3rd row. Seating for 7 with no room for any baggage. The only part of the Pacifica that seems to be a minivan is the sliding doors, everything else is more like a crossover as far as I am concerned.

2018 Chrysler Pacifica LX “Eddie VAN Halen”
2012 Dodge Charger R/T Road & Track “AR/TIE”
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnee View Post
I've driven a minivan daily since 1989 (age 33) and we don't have kids. I never understood the minivan stigma. I guess some folks are more concerned about image than comfort, convenience and versatility. I smile when I see young moms and dads struggle to get their kids into SUV's while in parking lots. A sliding door would make things so much easier. If only they were not so hung up on being seen driving a minivan. BTW, my wife's daily driver is a Ford F-250. We need a truck for towing and she likes the higher ride height. I don't like driving the truck because it drives like a...... truck!

Enjoy the your Pacifica.
Indeed. Whether it be my family or friends, they know I need the sliding door for manual wheelchair dis/assembly, yet it is called a "soulless refrigerator on wheels" and various other disparaging comments (for a stupid car!). Then there's the vitriol of other drivers, strangers. Since alcohol (aka flammable cleaning fluid) is so big it's no wonder there are so many jerks out there. It's the wrong molecule for the brain.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-11-2018, 02:33 PM

Garage
I call it my wife's van, but somehow I ended up being the primary driver. Don't drive it daily tho, it's our weekend/road trip vehicle

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Limited - Bright White w/ Alloy Nappa Leather Seats
Advanced SafetyTech, Tri-Pane Sunroof w/ Captain Chairs (7 passenger), 20" Aluminum Wheels, "13 Speaker" Alpine Sound System,
MOPAR All-Weather Slush Floor Mats, Rayno Phantom S9/Air7090 Window Tint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page