gas mileage - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:11 PM

Garage
Day 2 of my LX and drove 80 mile "gently with brief periods of wide open throttle" like the book says and got 31.4 mpg. Flat, 55 mph, pretty much perfect for good mileage but the dozen or so wot periods did lower it a bit. I am super impressed, I'm coming from an f-150'anf a focus st and I had to pull a lot of tricks to get the epa estimates in those vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM

I can get 29-32 MPG if I pay attention to "hyper-miling" techniques.
I try to use the brake as little as possible. I mostly control my highway speed using ACC and manipulating the various buttons on the steering wheel.

Example... if I am on a flat straight-away and I see my MPG is only around 26-27 on the display, I find that a quick "tap" on the CANCEL button (watch the MPGs go up to about 70-80 MPG) and then tap RESUME... it appears that the computer will choose a higher gear coming back online and I can usually get the same span of road back up to about 30-40 MPG at that speed.

If I see brake-lights ahead, I tap CANCEL and let it coast on its own until I can see that I will not NEED to slow down, then tap RESUME.

I shut the van off at traffic lights that I KNOW are long and that I'm stuck at.

I can set the ACC to it's "nearest distance" behind a bus, truck or large box-van on my commute and I see the MPGs rise from being within the wake of said vehicle... yet it's not too-close to be unsafe.

Etc. etc. etc.

All these things together, I can actually get a *COMBINED* 2-3 day MPG reading of about 31-MPG.
Fastskiguy likes this.

"I'll procrastinate later..."
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificaLimited View Post
I shut the van off at traffic lights that I KNOW are long and that I'm stuck at..
I bet the 2018 model will add automatic stop/start to bump the mileage rating up a bit. I've seen a couple articles mention that it will be added to the 2017 "mid cycle", but if that were the case, I would think we'd see it listed as "late availability" like several other things were. I think it's more likely they're just doing the same thing they did with the Jeep Cherokee, and waiting until the 2nd model year to add it.

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by generaltso View Post
I've seen a couple articles mention that it will be added to the 2017 "mid cycle"
My take on that information is not that it will be ADDED to the gas-version... but a feature of the HYBRID which is a mid-cycle release for the 2017 model year. (but I might be wrong)

I would be shocked if the Hybrid model did not do the "shutoff during stop" when in gas mode.

post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
My take on that information is not that it will be ADDED to the gas-version... but a feature of the HYBRID which is a mid-cycle release for the 2017 model year. (but I might be wrong)

I would be shocked if the Hybrid model did not do the "shutoff during stop" when in gas mode.
I agree that it's likely the Hybrid will have it. But I also think they'll add it to the non-hybrid for 2018. It's not an uncommon feature with the Pentastar engine.

post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
It's not an uncommon feature with the Pentastar engine.
I did not know that.

post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I did not know that.
Yep, it's exactly what they did with the Jeep Cherokee. It was an all-new model for 2014 without stop/start. Then they added it to the 2015 model year (and it obviously remains for 2016 and 2017 as well). I have a 2014 Cherokee, so I don't have stop/start. And after talking with friends that have it, I'm glad I don't. I'm also happy to get a Pacifica before it's added. Wouldn't be a big deal if you could disable it and it would stay disabled, but the "feature" turns itself back on every time you restart the car.

post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
I bet the 2018 model will add automatic stop/start to bump the mileage rating up a bit. I've seen a couple articles mention that it will be added to the 2017 "mid cycle", but if that were the case, I would think we'd see it listed as "late availability" like several other things were. I think it's more likely they're just doing the same thing they did with the Jeep Cherokee, and waiting until the 2nd model year to add it.
We had that on our 2015 Cherokee and it drove us crazy. I have a friend with a Cherokee and he says the same thing. You can disable it until you turn off the engine, then you need to disable it again each time you restart, or live with not knowing if it'll restart when you press the accelerator. I'd trade the .05 mpg savings (just a guess) for the peace of mind not having to deal with this feature.

Don (ezdays) Day
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 01:28 AM

Gas mileage driving in town

Hello All,
I purchased a Limited and have close to 900 miles on it. My wife uses it primarily to pick up and drop kids from school and for other activities i.e. 95% of driving is in the city.

We have been getting approx 15.5 mpg so far and wanted to check in with all of you to see what mileage you have been getting driving in town. I had filled a survey with Chrysler complaining about the low gas mileage and someone from MOPAR called me told me that gas mileage will increase after I put in approx 2000 miles on the van. Not sure if I agree.

Would love to get some thoughts on this.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 02:01 AM

Been getting around 17 around town. Was expecting higher but hopefully it will after broken in. We took it on our first road trip about 250 each way. We got 24.8 mpg. That's with 5 people and trunk fully loaded. Also loaded the 2 stow and go bins. Had AC running full blast as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page