Aftermarket wheels!!! - Page 2 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 157Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-22-2016, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Limited_808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: HI
Posts: 33
I too was looking at the Vossens but it seems as if they do not make them in our lug pattern....but could possibly call the company direct to see if the do a custom drill.
Limited_808 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:48 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killertom8o View Post
Been also kicking around the idea of upgrading our stock 18" wheels. Visited a local wheel shop this afternoon and they mentioned the 2017 Pacifica has a default spec of 5x127 +35 offset. Would love a 22" x 9" setup all around powder coated matte merlot to match the Limited edition cranberry interior. Did a quick and dirty mockup of what the VPS-303 would look like. I did a quick and dirty mockup using fellow forum member irpilot's profile shot of his Granite Limited Pacifica. Hope he doesn't mind.

Vossen VPS-303
VPS-303 ? Vossen Forged

CVT (Gloss Graphite)
Vossen Wheels
I do not think that a +35 offset is correct. My Pacifica has factory 18" wheels and on the back of the wheel it clearly says "50.8". I don't know if the 17" and 20" wheels use the same offset, but the offset for the 18" is +50.8.
Blitz is offline  
post #13 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
 
generaltso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Vermont
Posts: 2,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I do not think that a +35 offset is correct. My Pacifica has factory 18" wheels and on the back of the wheel it clearly says "50.8". I don't know if the 17" and 20" wheels use the same offset, but the offset for the 18" is +50.8.
I think you're right. The winter wheels that I got from Tire Rack spec'd out with a 50mm offset. (19"x 8")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tires.jpg (86.2 KB, 331 views)

2017 Pacifica Limited - Molten Silver/Mocha
8 Pax - Vac - SafetyTec - UConnect Theater & Sound
20" Wheels - Tow - KeySense - Splash Guards

2018 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV GT
generaltso is offline  
 
post #14 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Tsuter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 212
You have to remember that when you change widths the offset can be affected as well. If you are trying to stay with same width, same offset, then yes you would want the numbers to be close, but if you are adding a wider wheel, you may end up with different offsets to get the wheel to sit in the right location in relation to the chassis.
Tsuter is online now  
post #15 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuter View Post
You have to remember that when you change widths the offset can be affected as well. If you are trying to stay with same width, same offset, then yes you would want the numbers to be close, but if you are adding a wider wheel, you may end up with different offsets to get the wheel to sit in the right location in relation to the chassis.
That is true. If you have the same offset but two wheels have a different width, the backspacing will be different as well. For instance, as I pointed our before, my stock 18x7.5 wheels have an offset of 50.8. However, the wheels that I am thinking about buying for winter tires are 18x8. They have an offset of 45, but the backspacing of the two wheels are the same (6.3"). Backspacing is important because it affects how close the tire is to the inside of the wheel well, and that distance on the Pacifica is quite small.

Last edited by Blitz; 09-23-2016 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Blitz is offline  
post #16 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 03:06 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
That is true. If you have the same offset but two wheels have a different width, the backspacing will be different as well. For instance, as I pointed our before, my stock 18x7.5 wheels have an offset of 50.8. However, the wheels that I am thinking about buying for winter tires are 18x8. They have an offset of 45, but the backspacing of the two wheels are the same (6.3"). Backspacing is important because it affects how close the tire is to the inside of the wheel well, and that distance on the Pacifica is quite small.
To respectfully disagree with part of this (or at least the way it is described), I believe that 2 wheels of the same offset (even if different widths) will put the center of the wheel in the same location with regard to the chassis. As a single tire width can fit multiple wheel widths (within reason), if the offset is the same and the tire width is the same, the tire will be the same distance from the inside of the wheel well, even if you have 2 different wheel widths (and different backspacings).

Note that it is true that the wheel lip itself will be closer to the wheel well, but it's the center of the wheel that you want to use as your reference point, in my opinion.

- 2017 Pacifica Touring-L Plus - Jazz Blue, Advanced SafetyTec, Uconnect 8.4N, KeySense
- Ordered 5/31/16, Current status: KZL as of 6/28/16, Arrived at dealer 7/6/16, Purchased 7/11/16
daniel9478 is online now  
post #17 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 04:51 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel9478 View Post
To respectfully disagree with part of this (or at least the way it is described), I believe that 2 wheels of the same offset (even if different widths) will put the center of the wheel in the same location with regard to the chassis. As a single tire width can fit multiple wheel widths (within reason), if the offset is the same and the tire width is the same, the tire will be the same distance from the inside of the wheel well, even if you have 2 different wheel widths (and different backspacings).

Note that it is true that the wheel lip itself will be closer to the wheel well, but it's the center of the wheel that you want to use as your reference point, in my opinion.
I am no expert, so you may be correct. I think that we both agree that if you have two wheels with different widths but the same offset, then the wider wheel would be closer to the inside of the wheel well. Now, if you put the same widh tires on those two different width wheels, I assumed that the tire on the wider wheel would bulge out more from its sidewall (obviously not its tread). Am I wrong about that? I actuall hope that I am wrong because that would make the width of the wheel less important than I thought.
Blitz is offline  
post #18 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 06:07 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
I am no expert, so you may be correct. I think that we both agree that if you have two wheels with different widths but the same offset, then the wider wheel would be closer to the inside of the wheel well. Now, if you put the same widh tires on those two different width wheels, I assumed that the tire on the wider wheel would bulge out more from its sidewall (obviously not its tread). Am I wrong about that? I actuall hope that I am wrong because that would make the width of the wheel less important than I thought.
I thought about that a while back too, but the research I did at the time (admittedly just from websites) seemed to indicate that as long as the wheel was within the acceptable range for the tire, the inner structure of the tire still kept the overall size very close.

I'm not saying that there would be absolutely no difference, but my understanding was that it should be negligible.
daniel9478 is online now  
post #19 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 08:21 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel9478 View Post
I thought about that a while back too, but the research I did at the time (admittedly just from websites) seemed to indicate that as long as the wheel was within the acceptable range for the tire, the inner structure of the tire still kept the overall size very close.

I'm not saying that there would be absolutely no difference, but my understanding was that it should be negligible.
Thanks. I feel a bit more confident that I can order wheels for winter tires that are a half inch wider than the oem wheels with a couple of mm more in offset. If the half inch of extra wheel width won't make a difference, then 2 or 3 mm more offset won't matter much either. I was concerned because there is so little space between the rear tires and the inside of the wheel well.
Blitz is offline  
post #20 of 231 (permalink) Old 09-23-2016, 09:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MI
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Thanks. I feel a bit more confident that I can order wheels for winter tires that are a half inch wider than the oem wheels with a couple of mm more in offset. If the half inch of extra wheel width won't make a difference, then 2 or 3 mm more offset won't matter much either. I was concerned because there is so little space between the rear tires and the inside of the wheel well.
If the difference is really that small, I really don't think you'll have a problem. If you do, I found some very nice 5 mm spacers online that I plan on using with some OEM Durango wheels. They're very well made and are an exact fit for our hubs. Let me know if you need the info on them.
daniel9478 is online now  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aftermarket Hitch Recommendations Dewey Towing 36 07-04-2019 04:11 PM
20" wheels - is the ride rougher e_dasani 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan General Discussion 48 10-07-2018 09:54 PM
Snow tires drboom Tires, Wheels and Suspension 42 12-13-2017 02:47 PM
Lowered with wheels joet67 Tires, Wheels and Suspension 27 06-24-2017 09:07 AM
20 inch wheels bolt pattern Shadyshawn Tires, Wheels and Suspension 6 09-02-2016 08:25 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome