GVWR Verses Payload Issue - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

GVWR Verses Payload Issue

GVRW and Payload
This is not regarding towing, just weight.
I'm confused, the door striker sticker says the GVWR is 6055 lbs no curb weight displayed but is (I believe) 4330 lbs., so that gives a payload of about 1,725 lbs.
However the other B Pillar sticker that displays the air pressure (I have pictures below) says max 7 persons? (some hold 8 right) and cargo should not exceed 1150 lbs. those contradict each other by 575lbs.?!
They both cannot be right.
Please comment and / or explain. thank you
I called Chrysler, they had no idea?
They sent it to the techs.?
They 3 weeks later they said refer to the manual re: towing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumbnail (1).jpg (178.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg thumbnail (2).jpg (295.6 KB, 16 views)

@019 Pacifica Touring L Advanced Safety Tech Group, S Appearance Package, Premium Audio Group, Key Sense, Uconnect 4C NAV w/ 8.4 " Display and Jazz Blue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:18 AM

The passenger issue has to do with legal seat belts so I would not worry about that.

The curb weight is for a stock Pacifica without any options, including fuel, and may be for the base model. As an example you have 18in wheels which increases the curb weight.

If the payload capacity on you sticker is 1150 that is the number you should go with.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:51 AM
dmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
GVRW and Payload
This is not regarding towing, just weight.
I'm confused, the door striker sticker says the GVWR is 6055 lbs no curb weight displayed but is (I believe) 4330 lbs., so that gives a payload of about 1,725 lbs.
However the other B Pillar sticker that displays the air pressure (I have pictures below) says max 7 persons? (some hold 8 right) and cargo should not exceed 1150 lbs. those contradict each other by 575lbs.?!
They both cannot be right.
Just guessing here - I suspect that they have some magic formula that determines how much one person weighs ... and they may count some of those 7 people as children ... so maybe the 7 people (kids and all) add up to 575?

Dave

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmj View Post
Just guessing here - I suspect that they have some magic formula that determines how much one person weighs ... and they may count some of those 7 people as children ... so maybe the 7 people (kids and all) add up to 575?

Dave
When they say cargo capacity they include people as cargo. So 1150 is the max total weight you can put on the suspension.

2018 Pacifica Touring plus
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:44 PM

Here's my guess.

The GVWR is based on axle load capacity. The front axle can carry 2950 lbs and the rear 3200 for a total of 6150. The max GVWR on the sticker is 6055 so a little bit less than what the axles are capable of carrying.

The max weight of people and cargo assumes even weight distribution in the cargo area (you can't place all 1150 lbs behind the rear seat, for example). My guess is that evenly distributing more than 1150 lbs in the cargo area may adversely affect the handling of the van or may overload the rear axle. So the van can carry more based on the GVWR but, given the placement of the cargo area relative to the axles, it is not recommended to carry more than 1150 lbs. Note the wording on the sticker is "should" not. You may be able to carry more if the added weight was placed closer to the front but you would want to weigh the load on both the front and rear axles to makes sure their limits are not exceeded.

2017 Pacifica Limited (built May 2016)
Vacuum delete, KeySense and Tow

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in