4Likes
  • 1 Post By Hilltoppper
  • 2 Post By DoninDel
  • 1 Post By Hilltoppper

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Locking lug nuts or where is the key?

I am going in for the V53 recall and a tire rotation Monday. I noted that my Pacifica's dealer's insurance required they install keyed lug nuts. As a part of the rotation those keyed lug nuts are being removed and replaced with standard ones. I had never given them a thought until I was having the brakes serviced on my Nissan the other day. They could not replace the brake pads because whoever rotated my tires last forgot the put the lug nut key back in the trunk. They had a way to remove them but it was irritating because the key was missing. Imagine being on the road trying to change a tire and not having the key.

Moral of the story - if you like keyed lug nuts be sure you get your lug nut key back after any tire or brake service or revert to standard ones.
thclimer likes this.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 AM

Garage
Our 2017 (gas) Pacifica Limited came with a white bag containing lug nut locks. The Dealer had not installed them on Delivery, but they did put them on when they were adding our splash guards. Once installed, I got a little paranoid about loosing the key to the locking lug nuts and went online to "Register" the locks with the manufacturer and order a second key. Reviewing the manufacturer's website I learned that the "Open" lug nut locks delivered with the vehicle were never ment to be used on a wheel without a hub or lug nut cover. I talked to my Dealer about this but the Chrysler Rep never got back with the Dealer to authorize replacement. I had to modify some small lug nut covers to protect the "Open" lug nut locks so that damage would not be done to the wheel bolts via possible rust. That could have made it difficult if not impossible to remove the locks in a road emergency. Now each time I go to the Dealer to get my tires rotated I remove the home-modified lock covers prior to the Dealer visit. I keep one of my lug nut lock keys in a small leather pouch that is well marked LUG NUT LOCK KEY and my last name and I place it in the cup holder for the Dealer's use. It is easy to see if it is placed back in the cupholder when I pick the vehicle up.

2017 Pacifica Limited
Red, Fully Loaded 8-Passenger
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 10:01 AM

Most dealers have a master key set, so if you have one of their vehicles and a set of their locking lug nuts it should just annoy the tech for a few minutes.

If you don't have the key, you can still get the brakes done. You just have to add them breaking off the lock (may destroy the stud, too) and replacing it with a regular one (and maybe a stud). It makes today's brakes more expensive, but at least you don't have to wait to reschedule after you maybe find the key.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 11:39 AM

Check your glove box or where your tire inflater would be. Mines was in glove box. Go back to chrysler and give them ****.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith View Post
Check your glove box or where your tire inflater would be. Mines was in glove box. Go back to chrysler and give them ****.
Why give Chrysler grief?
Unless I mis-read his post, he had a problem with a Nissan and locking lug nuts and was giving all those with locking lug nuts a caution.
Hilltoppper and Van Go like this.

2018 Touring L
Collapsible spare tire kit
WeatherTech window deflectors, floor mats, and cargo liner
State-issued Vietnam Veteran License plate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM

I've always put the key in the cup-holder for the service tech, made note of that for the service advisor, and that's where they will be when you get the car back.

If the key isn't there when you drop it off, prepare for a call or for your things to be rummaged-through.

If the key isn't there when you pick it up - don't leave until you get it back, or they remove or replace the wheel locks. Things become a lot more difficult / annoying if you leave without the key but the locks still on your car.

As mentioned above if you're using an OEM set the dealer should have a master key set on hand. That said we can't guarantee if the set remains complete. I had one case a few years ago where one wheel lock was hammered on so tight (with a flat tire) that the dealer would no longer try with their master key set because they were afraid of breaking it, as I had done with my key. They got the other 3 off though.

With a temporary plug I ended up at a wheel and tire shop where they removed the offending lock with some special tools / methods - I had to sign off accepting that my wheel or wheel stud may be damaged.

Since that faithful day I don't use them at all.

2018 Pacifica Hybrid - In Canada Eh!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
After my experience the locking lug nuts are gone. I just do not need the hassle. If you note on the key, there is a symbol indicating not to use power tools with the key. The keyed part apparently can strip out easily if too much torque is used.

Having my tires stolen it the least of my worries. I am more likely to have the side of the car keyed (ok, that happened on my other car!).
DoninDel likes this.

among others:
1975 Plymouth Valiant
1989 Plymouth Voyager
2005 Chrysler T&C
as of 4/4/2018
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Red Velvet w/Advanced Safety and upgraded audio

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page