Air Conditioner Issues - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoli View Post
It would make sense for the Pacifica to have an electric AC compressor so that it could continue running when the engine turns off.
That would make sense, but that is not what they did with this vehicle, at least on the gasser.
Prius, on the other hand...

Last edited by Lipster; 08-12-2018 at 10:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-13-2018, 08:44 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipster View Post
That would make sense, but that is not what they did with this vehicle, at least on the gasser.
Prius, on the other hand...
That seems like that would be expecting a lot from a small battery, when the engine is shut off. It would need to power the turn signals, UConnect, headlights/tail lights(at night), etc. AND a compressor.
What system did they use on the Prius?

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 05:48 PM

My 2017 Pacifica has A/C problems. going from cool to hot. Put temperature gauge into vent and videoed it happening. Dealer agrees it happens. Taken to different dealers and contacted corporate, being told to take it to another dealer. Anyone have a suggestion?

Last edited by DanKam; 10-09-2018 at 06:30 PM.

post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimemopar View Post
That seems like that would be expecting a lot from a small battery, when the engine is shut off. It would need to power the turn signals, UConnect, headlights/tail lights(at night), etc. AND a compressor.
What system did they use on the Prius?
It’s not possible to run an electric Ac compressor from a 12v battery, they require too much power. As a rough comparison, your home central ac compressor has a dedicated 220v 40amp circuit. That is 8,800 watts, almost 12HP. It doesn’t actually use 40 amps, and that’s enough power for 5 tons (60,000BTU). The Pacifica probably has more along the lines of 2 tons cooling capacity. But still, such a compressor might require 1,500 watts of energy - about 2HP - to operate. At 14 volts, it takes more than 100amps of current to deliver 1,500 watts. So not practical to do so. Hybrids use the high voltage battery pack to run the electric compressor - 360 volts in the case of the Pacifica. Only takes 5 amps to get to 1,500 watts with that kind of juice.
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda4523 View Post
I have a 2017 Pacifica, intermittently the air conditioner only blows hot air. it does not code for a sensor problem, and since its intermittent, they dont see a problem. Anyone else having issues?

Also having my driver side sliding door corrected. After closing it tends to open up one additional time requiring a second closing.
My air is ice cold, my wife complains about it being too cold

2018 Pacifica Limited Billet Silver Metallic Clear Coat
Uconnect® Theater with Streaming and Sound
Interior Protection Package
Trailer Tow Group
Advanced SafetyTec Group
KeySense
8–Passenger Seating & 20–Inch Wheel Group
Delete Vacuum / Add Spare Tire
Front and Rear Splash Guards
Engine Block Heater
Lifetime Warranty w/ $100 Deductible

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 09:29 AM

Brenda I had what seems to be a very similar issue. Right off the gate the AC will start blowing not cooled air. I took it to 4 different dealers only to be told they couldn't reproduce and therefore nothing they could do.
Finally one dealer kept it a few days and their tech drove it home and experienced the issue. They then replaced the compressor under warranty...
The whole ordeal was long and frustrating...especially being treated like a person that loves to spend time at a mechanic making stuff up...
post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-11-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKam View Post
My 2017 Pacifica has A/C problems. going from cool to hot. Put temperature gauge into vent and videoed it happening. Dealer agrees it happens. Taken to different dealers and contacted corporate, being told to take it to another dealer. Anyone have a suggestion?
First -- I assume you are not talking about warm air when stopped if you have ESS - although I thought if the cabin gets too warm the engine starts up again.

Post 6 in this thread talks about a TSB with intermittent shorts in the A/C compressor.

I had an A/C problem -- see https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...tml#post525762
The A/C did not come on initially -- came on halfway home. Then stayed off the next 2 days. On my trip to the dealer, it was off until I (literally) reached the traffic light on the dealer's corner -- then it came on. They kept the car almost 3 weeks before they discovered a problem with the compressor.

There is another thread at https://www.pacificaforums.com/forum...tml#post528183

As others have attested, intermittent problems are h*ll to track down.

Good luck.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 01:34 PM

I just registered to the forums to add a +1. 2017 Pacifica with just under 30,000 miles and the A/C stopped working 3 weeks ago. The dealership couldn't get it in until today and it has been cold outside ever since, so I haven't needed to use the Air conditioning. They say that the A/C is working fine. They are going to test again this afternoon. If they still can't replicate it, I am planning to ask them about the TSB and ultimately I will likely request a loaner so that they can keep testing until it is replicated. I can see both sides of the argument, but it would be helpful if they could accept some sort of proof that there is an issue without needing to replicate it.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 02:36 PM

Unfortunately, I guess Chrysler won't let them replace parts as warranty work if they don't have a good clue which one is the culprit. The TSB might help. I had 4 witnesses to the failure, but because it started working again they just kept testing it -- it failed on the 19th day they had it.

2017 Pacifica Touring L Plus
Build date Oct 2016 - Delivered 11/30/16
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 05:23 PM

I may have lucked out. I mentioned TSB 24-009-16 and he didn't find that, but found an identical one. The VIN was not part of the Rapid Response Transmittal, but after I suggested that I would take a loaner if they wanted to hold onto it until they could replicate it, he spoke to a tech and seemed ready to replace the compressor. This seems widespread enough that hopefully it will become easier for others to get it resolved as well. Anybody know if they are replacing it with an identical compressor or if they're using something different? I didn't think to ask at the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in