Paint Issue - Page 3 - 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums
 71Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018, 10:44 PM

Garage
I have the same issue in two places on my 2017 bright white. Seems Chrysler has this problem on aluminum hoods both on the Pacifica and other models. Hopefully my dealer will address the issue when I go in armed with all these previous cases. They obviously have a problem here.

2017 Bright white Limited
Black/alloy, advanced safety pack,
U-connect theater. Tri-pane roof. Verde Invictus 22"
Quite a few custom modifications and lots more to come .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlPacifica View Post
I have the same issue in two places on my 2017 bright white. Seems Chrysler has this problem on aluminum hoods both on the Pacifica and other models. Hopefully my dealer will address the issue when I go in armed with all these previous cases. They obviously have a problem here.
Well documented problem. They should replace the hood. Annoying, but they should make it right.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #23 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Car and Driver reported they had the same paint issue on their long term Pacifica as well.

post #24 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018, 01:35 PM

I noticed just the other day Im having the paint bubble/peeling issue on the edge of my front bumper cover (on the left side where it meets with the fender). I wonder what the remedy for this would be. Will they replace the bumper cover? Id prefer not to have the adjacent fender sprayed with new paint if they decide to send it to the body shop.
post #25 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Just heard back from the dealer. Chrysler rejected the claim but the service manager is still fighting for me. If there is a Chrysler rep on here, can you explain why Chrysler is refusing to resolve this defect? My loyalty to Chrysler is sinking.
post #26 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imblaze94 View Post
Just heard back from the dealer. Chrysler rejected the claim but the service manager is still fighting for me. If there is a Chrysler rep on here, can you explain why Chrysler is refusing to resolve this defect? My loyalty to Chrysler is sinking.
Perhaps a class action lawsuit would be in order! Plenty of owners having the same problem.
TamiMc likes this.
post #27 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:41 PM

I have a friend who owns a Ford Explorer, and is having the same issue with rust blisters on the leading edge of the hood.
I wonder how many other makes and models are having this problem, what causes it and what are the manufacturers doing about it.
Anyone?
post #28 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 04:48 PM

A quick search "paint bubbles on hood" came up with Ford, Jeep, Chrysler, Opel and Corvette as the most common vehicles with this issue.
TamiMc likes this.
post #29 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 PM

Garage
Not excusing the paint problems, but it must be difficult to prep, prime & paint all the different exterior body materials: plastics, steel, aluminum (did I leave any out?) and have them all look the same...AND to keep looking the same over time.

2017 Pacifica
Touring L
Billet Silver
Package 27L
mfr. 5-17
post #30 of 183 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 10:38 PM

This is a general aluminum/paint adhesion conversation from 1997. Some cars seem OK. I wonder if all mfrs. do this. Is aluminum new to FCA?
--------------------------------------------------------
Q. We are evaluating the possibility of installing a new powder paint line for aluminum extrusions and are having some doubts about the proper pretreatment for paint. Can anyone help?
Guillermo L [last name deleted for privacy by Editor]
- Mexico City, Mexico

(1997)
A. Proper pretreatment for aluminum castings and extrusions takes place in at least a 5 stage pretreatment system. The system would consist of the following stages:
  • stage 1: Alkaline cleaner (aluminum-safe, or mild etch)
  • Stage 2: Fresh Water rinse
  • Stage 3: Iron Phosphate solution containing fluoride
  • Stage 4: Fresh Water Rinse (Recirc DI Optional)
  • Stage 5: Fresh Water Rinse (Virgin DI optional)
Choice of cleaner depends on alloy and soils to be removed. The fluoride is the key. It etches the aluminum surface to provide for good paint adhesion. Reduce the stages and you reduce the chances for success.

Craig Burkart
- Naperville, Illinois

(1997)
A. Guillermo, the suggestion Craig Burkart gave you is a very good one. Remember that aluminum does not accept a conversion coating. You must clean the metal and etch it for best adhesion. The D.I. water will help you to rinse any residual contamination from the substrate prior to the next step I.E. E-coat/wet spray/powdercoat, etc. By using a D.I. virginal rinse, the substrate is left in a slightly acidic state the powder just loves to stick to. You could also use reverse osmosis water if you like. The other area of interest to you may be in making sure the grade a casting/extrusion is compatible with the cleaning chemicals to prevent increase cleaning demands or multi chemicals to alleviate problems such as smutting. Bob
TamiMc likes this.

Last edited by bradly1101; 04-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page