2017+ Chrysler Pacifica Minivan Forums banner

Second Row Headrests

46K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Pacifica Packhorse 
#1 ·
Has anyone had trouble with the second row headrests moving up and down in a 2017 Pacifica? I just returned a rental Pacifica that had no problem moving the headrests, but as I was trying to put our car seats back in our Pacifica, I noticed the headrests only move a fraction of an inch with both buttons pressed. Is there something obvious that I am missing?

#3 ·
The rental was definitely a 2017. The headrests on mine have two buttons at the bottom to press to raise the headrest but they seem to be stuck. They will raise the slightest bit but that’s it. In the rental I was able to raise them with no problem. A couple people at the dealership were not able to raise the headrests either but I kind of forgot about the whole thing until now since we are dealing with a much more serious issue.

#4 ·
I have a brand new 2018 a week old and JUST experienced that problem 30 minutes ago. The headrests angle forward and push the top of our child seat slightly forward. If I could raise the headrests a few inches, they would clear the top of the child seat. I've had no luck. Why have buttons if they are of no use?

#5 ·
The user's guide says "To adjust the head restraint rearward, pull forward on the head restraint to furthest forward position and head restraint will reset to furthest rearward position." Does that not work?

#6 ·
I have not seen a 2018 yet, but 2017 2nd row headrests are not adjustable. If you pop open the plastic cover on the back of the seat you will see a cable attached to one of the headrest posts that folds the headrest for Stow-n-Go, and a lock washer preventing any significant vertical movement.

There is no adjusting them, but they can be fully removed for car seat installation. Lots of good info in this previous thread:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/505-child-safety-car-seats/3866-remove-headrests-2nd-row.html

#8 ·
Thanks, the salesperson told us they were adjustable so I just assumed they were. Maybe mine aren't in my 2017, but they definitely were in the rental. Maybe the rental didn't have stow-n-go seats.

I have not seen a 2018 yet, but 2017 2nd row headrests are not adjustable. If you pop open the plastic cover on the back of the seat you will see a cable attached to one of the headrest posts that folds the headrest for Stow-n-Go, and a lock washer preventing any significant vertical movement.

There is no adjusting them, but they can be fully removed for car seat installation. Lots of good info in this previous thread:

http://www.pacificaforums.com/forum/505-child-safety-car-seats/3866-remove-headrests-2nd-row.html

#13 ·
Not sure if it's the same dynamic on the Pacifica, but on a VW Vanagon I once owned the headrests were extremely difficult to adjust up and down IF one pole of the 2-pole headrest got a tiny bit ahead of the other: e.g., one pole was inserted 1" into the seat back and the other was inserted 1.25". The headrest was all too easy to get into this slightly "crooked" state, which would be barely noticeable just by looking at it, but it would make it stuck like an old wooden cabinet drawer.

The only way to fix it was to push on only the longest pole until the two poles were back in sync. Rubbing the poles with a wax candle or other dry lubricant might help too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.